Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
No Logic or Harmony... Logitech abandons Remote gizmo
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 08, 2017 03:53PM
[www.theverge.com]

"Logitech has announced that it’s shutting down all services for the Harmony Link hub, a plastic puck the company released in 2011 that gave smartphones and tablets the ability to act as universal remotes for thousands of devices."

Ayup, those older gizmos are becoming paperweights.... and my iMac (Blueberry) still works as a computer. Apple's fault ? devil smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: No Logic or Harmony... Logitech abandons Remote gizmo
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 08, 2017 04:08PM
The Verge closes with
Phasing out customer support and warranty service would be one thing, but it always feels a little cold and mean to just brick something that’s given some customers years of utility.
agree smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: bfd
Date: November 08, 2017 05:01PM
The bricking will be activated via software update - so what happens if one just doesn't ever update their software again? Granted, it will mean no new modifications to anything in an individual's program, no new scenes, no new channels added, etc.

Still, intentionally bricking something that's bought and paid for - think about all of your other cloud connected technology. One would not be blamed if they never purchased another logitech product if that's the logitech business model.

It's one thing to discontinue support for a product, call it obsolete, make no further updates - it's quite another to brick something intentionally. That's a quantum level jump.

I hope there are some lawsuits that come out of this - if just to lay some cost on the company's time and profits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 05:02PM by bfd.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 08, 2017 07:23PM
Keeping the server running is cheap. Someone is doing a poor job of business development
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 08, 2017 10:01PM
Class action lawsuit, no problem here.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: November 08, 2017 10:17PM
sekker
Keeping the server running is cheap. Someone is doing a poor job of business development

From what I understand, it's actually being killed via a $10 (typical price) SSL certificate that they're not renewing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 10:19PM by Onamuji.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: November 09, 2017 12:36AM
The Logitech hub was a device that I really wanted, so I could control my system from another room. I was able to use a "goodwill" discount to get one gratis, but it came with Logitech's most minimal remote. I saw a "special" on the their remote with a touch screen on B&H, so I purchased one and have used it ever since.

The expensive remote SUCKS! I hate the way they laid out the functions. The touch screen is the most frustrating part of the design. I constantly hit the wrong function. The regular control buttons are located at the top of the remote and are terribly placed ergonomically. When I tap the screen to turn on the TV, I often end up turning on the DVD player instead. The buttons seem to slide away from under my fingers???

There are so many things wrong with the design of this particular remote that I wonder why I haven't seen or heard a multitude of complaints...
... and yet, I have really appreciated the way the hub has worked.

If I wasn't having the medical problems that I have experienced over the last few years, I would have made an effort to get Logitech to replace this POS remote. Based on the reporting of the OP, it seems that I am too late to make a fuss about the remote.

Oh well...

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: November 09, 2017 06:51AM
GeneL
many things wrong with the design of this particular remote that I wonder why I haven't seen or heard a multitude of complaints...

Haven't asked me.

Logitech makes the worst human interfaces I've ever encountered both for their remotes and the software for them. And the under-the-hood software is total garbage -- the d@mned remotes crash and then go into crash/reboot loops!

The whole "we can control a dozen devices, but we're only going to give you 3 buttons to do it" thing is the most ass-backwards way of dealing with the various components of a decent entertainment center that anyone could come up with. The entire company needs a hard kick in the arse.

Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: November 09, 2017 04:13PM
Everybody who has a Link hub, no matter how old it is, can get a free Harmony Hub, which is the updated model.
Date: November 10, 2017 05:48PM
Mike Johnson
Everybody who has a Link hub, no matter how old it is, can get a free Harmony Hub, which is the updated model.

That was a late addition after the announcement almost lead to some lynchings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 209
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015