advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bob Costa predicts the end of the NFL
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 09, 2017 12:16PM
Bob Costas warns future of football is bleak because sport 'destroys people's brains' - Fox News

From his perch hosting Thursday Night Football, veteran sportscaster Bob Costas has a unique perspective from which to diagnose the health of the NFL — and he says the future looks bleak.

Costas, speaking at the University of Maryland on Tuesday, said the one-time “cash machine” sport was suffering after multiple investigations into former players who've experienced serious health issues, USA Today reported.

“The reality is that this game destroys people’s brains," Costas said. “Not everyone, but a substantial number. That’s the fundamental fact of football, and that to me is the biggest story in American sports.”

Costas was referring to chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a brain disease linked with repeated head trauma that has become a concern for many athletes, but mostly those playing in the NFL. The disease can impact the brain’s frontal region which controls a person’s judgment, emotion, impulse, control, social behavior and memory.

In a July report, researchers studying the brains of 202 former football players discovered traces of CTE in nearly all of them, The Associated Press reported.

Late New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez allegedly had advanced signs of CTE, his lawyer claimed. Hernandez was in jail serving time after a first-degree murder conviction when he hung himself in April. He was 27 years old at the time of his death..

“The cracks in the foundation are there,” Costas said. “The day-to-day issues, as serious as they may be, they may come and go. But you cannot change the nature of the game. I certainly would not let, if I had an athletically gifted 12- or 13-year-old son, I would not let him play football.”

Costas appeared on the Maryland panel with USA Today’s Christine Brennan and ESPN's Tony Kornheiser, each of whom spoke about the future of professional football.

“It’s not going to happen this year, and it’s not going to happen in five years or ten years," Kornheiser said. "But Bob is right: At some point, the cultural wheel turns just a little bit, almost imperceptibly, and parents say, ‘I don’t want my kids to play.’ And then it becomes only the province of the poor, who want it for economic reasons to get up and out."

Costas said the NFL’s belated efforts to study the dangers of football will only hurt the league in the end.

“The more information [that] comes out, the worse it looks,” Costas said.

The sportscaster said he believed forthcoming data would only lead families to prevent their kids from playing until they were at least 18 years old. Or never allow them to play at all.

“But then where’s the talent pool for college? What happens to college football?” Costas said. “The whole thing could collapse like a house of cards if people actually begin connecting the dots.”

Kornheiser said football was on its way to being on the same level as boxing.

“Boxing doesn’t really exist anymore, except on pay-per-view, except every once in a while…Football is headed there,” Kornheiser said. “There is no question, football is headed for margins.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bob Costa predicts the end of the NFL
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 09, 2017 12:26PM
Start transitioning to and promoting professional soccer?

Disclaimer: I am NOT a big sports fan.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 09, 2017 12:31PM
I understand the concern with football and the delays in implementing necessary changes to make the game less traumatic. Football should evolve and implement safety as more is learned. The NFL and NCAA Football are the biggest attention getters and so added scrutiny comes with the territory. What I think is being lost is the concussions of other sports youths are participating in. I know some teenage athletes that play football and lacrosse. Some have suffered multiple concussions playing lacrosse but not football. I also know a fellow who played soccer extensively up to the collegiate level and he suspects he may have some head trauma related issues. The worst concussion he had was one where he could not remember how he got home which was a several hour trip. He never went to the doctor for it. I hope all sports take the issue more seriously, especially the NFL.

Will football go away? Maybe, but I would put my bets on baseball going away before football does. People's attention spans are getting shorter and shorter. NFL preseason games still outdraw MLB World Series in ratings.

Posted by: billb
Date: November 09, 2017 12:31PM

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 09, 2017 12:42PM
steve...

Rugby.

It is what it is.
Date: November 09, 2017 12:49PM
pRICE cUBE
What I think is being lost is the concussions of other sports youths are participating in. I know some teenage athletes that play football and lacrosse. Some have suffered multiple concussions playing lacrosse but not football. I also know a fellow who played soccer extensively up to the collegiate level and he suspects he may have some head trauma related issues. The worst concussion he had was one where he could not remember how he got home which was a several hour trip. He never went to the doctor for it. I hope all sports take the issue more seriously, especially the NFL.

The difference between football and all other sports (except perhaps hockey) is that football is the only sport in which deliberate and frequent violent collisions between players are part of the sport.

pRICE cUBE
Will football go away? Maybe, but I would put my bets on baseball going away before football does. People's attention spans are getting shorter and shorter. NFL preseason games still outdraw MLB World Series in ratings.

Football won't go away because there will be no one left willing to watch it; football will go away because there will be no one left willing to play it.

It is what it is.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 09, 2017 12:52PM
N-OS X-tasy!
steve...

Rugby.

“Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen.”

...and football (soccer) is a gentleman’s game played by hooligans.
Date: November 09, 2017 12:56PM
N-OS X-tasy!
pRICE cUBE
What I think is being lost is the concussions of other sports youths are participating in. I know some teenage athletes that play football and lacrosse. Some have suffered multiple concussions playing lacrosse but not football. I also know a fellow who played soccer extensively up to the collegiate level and he suspects he may have some head trauma related issues. The worst concussion he had was one where he could not remember how he got home which was a several hour trip. He never went to the doctor for it. I hope all sports take the issue more seriously, especially the NFL.

The difference between football and all other sports (except perhaps hockey) is that football is the only sport in which deliberate and frequent violent collisions between players are part of the sport.

pRICE cUBE

Football won't go away because there will be no one left willing to watch it; football will go away because there will be no one left willing to play it.

It isn't the only sport where the head is used intentionally to make contact. It also isn't the only youth sport with concussions. It is just the biggest game in town and gets most of the scrutiny. I hope that all youth sports use this light shining on football pay more attention to all sporting head trauma.

In my time shooting thousands of soccer games, I have witness a good number of head to head collisions trying to win headers. I could head the sounds of skills colliding across the field without protection of a helmet. Those kids were back in the game a few minutes later.

That all being said, football is not going to be a game for people who don;t like contact and probably never will be. I think it will keep going on as youth football takes concussions more seriously. Many states and school districts have already implemented much stricter head trauma protocols.

Posted by: raz
Date: November 09, 2017 01:10PM
N-OS X-tasy!

Unlikely. Most teenage males believe themselves to be invulnerable and immortal.

Football will die when the first class action lawsuits naming the NCAA and colleges for their complicity in CTE beget big payoffs. That'll kill college football which will kill the pro game.

I can't think of anything that will kill HS football - unless the colleges stop recruiting.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: November 09, 2017 01:19PM
raz
N-OS X-tasy!

Unlikely. Most teenage males believe themselves to be invulnerable and immortal.

Football will die when the first class action lawsuits naming the NCAA and colleges for their complicity in CTE beget big payoffs. That'll kill college football which will kill the pro game.

I can't think of anything that will kill HS football - unless the colleges stop recruiting.

The NFL players had a massive class action lawsuit that ended in a settlement. This happened several years ago and the league is still hauling in the bucks. If college players have a similar lawsuit, it will get bogged down in the ambiguity of when the injuries happened since there is not a time stamp for each concussion. NCAA will simply blame high school and youth leagues.

Posted by: vision63
Date: November 09, 2017 01:20PM
There will "always" be a never-ending supply of top quality football players. Bet on that.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 09, 2017 01:24PM
Cleveland Clinic study finds that NFL players are twice as likely to have an enlarged aorta
[www.crainscleveland.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: numbered
Date: November 09, 2017 01:25PM
raz

The lawsuits you mention against the colleges can also be launched against school districts. Since there is no money involved the districts will be far quicker to kill football. What district will be willing to litigate? This will turn it into a club sport for a while, but the insurance requirements will be a problem.

N-OS X-tasy!

This is the critical thing. Concussions are nasty, but the current speculation is that the frequent hits in practice--short of concussion--cause the most damage.
Date: November 09, 2017 01:32PM
Mixed Martial Arts combat fighting is very popular now with the UFC being sold for over a billion dollars. I don't believe the public's thirst for pugilism is going away any time soon.

Here is a page of gifs of UFC knockouts [giphy.com]

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 09, 2017 02:16PM
But Football Is AMERICA'S GAME...

Ever since the Olympics, I've become very suspicious of where Costas' allegiance lies.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 09, 2017 02:28PM
I read that soccer and cheerleading were the sports with the most concussions in the US (per capita I assume). But I completely agree with Costas. Football can not be played safely. Eventually parents will pull kids from playing.

The NFL actually studied the problem, found problems, but didn't make the info public. They KNEW that the game was causing CTE. Not likely that the NCAA or any other sport will be found as culpable as the NFL. The NHL is dealing with lawsuits too, but most say that they aren't likely to be forced into a $billion settlement.
Date: November 09, 2017 02:41PM
hal
I read that soccer and cheerleading were the sports with the most concussions in the US (per capita I assume). But I completely agree with Costas. Football can not be played safely. Eventually parents will pull kids from playing.

The NFL actually studied the problem, found problems, but didn't make the info public. They KNEW that the game was causing CTE. Not likely that the NCAA or any other sport will be found as culpable as the NFL. The NHL is dealing with lawsuits too, but most say that they aren't likely to be forced into a $billion settlement.

Football is an extremely positive activity in the communities that represent the very people that you see playing the game. 70% of all NFL players are Black men from mostly humble circumstances (57 to 70% of college football). Playing sports is viewed as something that is a thousand times better than all of the other things young men and boys can get into. The white guys that play mostly come from humble circumstances as well. Gaining a sports scholarship to a university is considered the PEAK of success for young Black men and boys.

I played football and just about every young guy I know did too. We're not brain damaged, so we don't really see it. If TV and the movies didn't talk about it, we'd never know. Plus, nobody is going to stand in some kids way if he demonstrates a special talent for the game. We're just gonna hype him.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 09, 2017 03:07PM
On the other hand, there was a neighbor when I was a kid that was special QB. I remember going to Burbank High (a school that was built around the corner from where I lived a couple of years earlier) and seeing them WIPE OUT the competition. I remember one game was 84-0.

The QB was the kid of friends of my parents. He got a scholarship to Stanford, but got three concussions in his freshman year, was cut from the team and dropped out. I wonder how he's doing these days.

Read some of the articles about this condition. It's horrible.

Here's an article about a guy that used to play for the SJ Sharks. He was A BEAST, but now he quivers on a dark corner at times.

[www.denverpost.com]

Scott Parker lies in bed, dreading what might come next. Soon after awakening, his ears ring so loud they seem like the equivalent of a hundred fire alarms. Waves of nausea wash over him until he vomits. His eyes glaze over.

One of the toughest men to ever play in the NHL is knocked out, not from an opponent’s punch, but from simply getting out of bed.

Nearly six years since he retired from the NHL as one of its toughest enforcers, Parker is finding everyday life a more fearsome opponent than any he dropped the gloves against. Some days he feels fine. Many days he finds himself paying the price of years of blows to his head. The 6-foot-6, 245-pound Parker — nicknamed “The Sheriff” as a player — frequently is debilitated by seizures. He has to wear sunglasses most of the time because too much light can bring on headaches that leave him incapacitated. When Parker looks down, he cannot “track” objects. Otherwise, he gets dizzy and nauseous.

He is only 35, but Parker’s short-term memory resembles someone much older. He is so forgetful that he has to write down routine things such as needing to make a trip to the grocery store. He often takes pictures and videos with his phone to remember how to do things such as use tools in his woodworking and metal shop.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 09, 2017 03:16PM
High school football will be shut down as soon as lawsuits come into play. Public school districts cannot afford the payout. Without HS ball, the colleges have little to draw from, which leaves the pros without players.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: November 09, 2017 03:19PM
I think Costas is right. Football is just really too dangerous. No way would I want my children or grandchildren playing football. I never watch it anymore.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: November 09, 2017 03:20PM
Ombligo
High school football will be shut down as soon as lawsuits come into play. Public school districts cannot afford the payout. Without HS ball, the colleges have little to draw from, which leaves the pros without players.

You don't need High School ball. There's lots of leagues like Snoop's league [snoopyfl.net] White kids are leaving their leagues to play in his league because he pumps out NFL studs.

There will "always" be football. Even on a public school level. I'd be willing to bet cash money on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 03:23PM by vision63.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 09, 2017 03:30PM
pRICE cUBE
It isn't the only sport where the head is used intentionally to make contact. It also isn't the only youth sport with concussions. It is just the biggest game in town and gets most of the scrutiny. I hope that all youth sports use this light shining on football pay more attention to all sporting head trauma.

In my time shooting thousands of soccer games, I have witness a good number of head to head collisions trying to win headers. I could head the sounds of skills colliding across the field without protection of a helmet. Those kids were back in the game a few minutes later.

That all being said, football is not going to be a game for people who don;t like contact and probably never will be. I think it will keep going on as youth football takes concussions more seriously. Many states and school districts have already implemented much stricter head trauma protocols.

Ad hoc observations such as those above (i.e. regarding occasional collisions in soccer or other sports) are irrelevant. Data, scientifically collected and controlled, is the only valid method for determining what is safe and what is not. We're also not talking about complete injury avoidance here, we're talking about a sport (american football) where there is strong evidence of traumatic permanent injury to the majority of participants. Being a soccer player myself, I would have no issue with banning of headers in soccer if there was scientifically valid proof that it was a systemic danger to a large fraction of players. To date, no such proof exists, despite significant research. On the other hand, the data on american football is overwhelming, and has been known for years.

I frequently joke with friends that american football is like soccer except for the fact that everything that is illegal in soccer is an integral part of the game in american football. This is true, and is the reason that american football is so dangerous. I think it is completely crazy, bordering on child abuse, to allow minors to play this game.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: J Marston
Date: November 09, 2017 04:56PM
Hal
Eventually parents will pull kids from playing.

This is already happening, here anyway. It hasn't affected high school football yet, but the pee-wee leagues are thin, and the rec leagues have a difficult time filling schedules. Parents are unwilling to have their kids in the pipeline.

There are some solutions. CTE is mostly a repetitive injury problem, and the younger it starts the worse it it. So limiting tackling and such early may allow players to limit CTE damage if they play in high school and college. Helmet technology, in particular, may help, although there are limits, since the injuries often occur when the brain comes to an abrupt halt and bashes against the inside of the skull.

But I think Costas is right: football will go the way of boxing. Right now, elite high school athletes still play football, baseball, and especially basketball. In 20 years that won't be true.
Date: November 09, 2017 05:18PM
J Marston
Hal
Eventually parents will pull kids from playing.

This is already happening, here anyway. It hasn't affected high school football yet, but the pee-wee leagues are thin, and the rec leagues have a difficult time filling schedules. Parents are unwilling to have their kids in the pipeline.

Happening here, too. Enrollment in Pop Warner football is waning throughout SoCal.

One of the local high schools cancelled its JV football program this year this season due to lack of players. Not just any high school, though - this was one of the state/national football powerhouses: [www.latimes.com]

EDIT: Similar situations at other schools throughout SoCal: [www.vcstar.com]

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 05:21PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 09, 2017 05:20PM
Teenagers are teenagers. But college cranks out monsters.
Not talking academia, I'm talking gorillas in pads.
I wonder how much of this Brain damage is actually Mad Cow from steroids in disguise.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 06:29PM by Bernie.
Posted by: bfd
Date: November 09, 2017 05:50PM
If humans don't cause climate change, then how in the world can getting hit in the head hundreds of times cause brain damage?

Come on.
Date: November 09, 2017 06:08PM
davester
pRICE cUBE

Ad hoc observations such as those above (i.e. regarding occasional collisions in soccer or other sports) are irrelevant. Data, scientifically collected and controlled, is the only valid method for determining what is safe and what is not. We're also not talking about complete injury avoidance here, we're talking about a sport (american football) where there is strong evidence of traumatic permanent injury to the majority of participants. Being a soccer player myself, I would have no issue with banning of headers in soccer if there was scientifically valid proof that it was a systemic danger to a large fraction of players. To date, no such proof exists, despite significant research. On the other hand, the data on american football is overwhelming, and has been known for years.

I frequently joke with friends that american football is like soccer except for the fact that everything that is illegal in soccer is an integral part of the game in american football. This is true, and is the reason that american football is so dangerous. I think it is completely crazy, bordering on child abuse, to allow minors to play this game.

There are substantial reports of compiled data that shows that concussions and repeated head injuries are happening at high rates in other high school and youth sports. I am not letting football off the hook, I am advocating that all sports pay more attention to it while the NFL acts as the lightning rod.

Posted by: jonny
Date: November 09, 2017 08:22PM
Won't be any high school players if elementary school parent won't let their kids play. There ain't enough cash in the world that would make me let my kids play.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 09, 2017 09:28PM
The last place to stop playing football will be the south.

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 09, 2017 10:25PM
Steve G.
But Football Is AMERICA'S GAME...

Ever since the Olympics, I've become very suspicious of where Costas' allegiance lies.

No, Cowboy Action Shooting and SASS is. Wild West shootem-up fun!
Posted by: michaelb
Date: November 10, 2017 08:36AM
My son graduated HS last year, and he played varsity football, as a middle linebacker, running back or tight end. So basically playing every down as a starter for 3 years in the middle of the action. He started in youth in 3rd or 4th grade. Yes as parents you worry about these things, but as parents, we worry about everything our kids do. He also played basketball and Lax; so does my daughter.

Skiing is way more dangerous, so at least here in the north, watching teenage boys all experts, fly down steep nasty slopes hitting every jump they can is terrifying.

There were/are concussions on all these sports. So girls basketball had multiple concussions, so did both Lax teams. There are a lot of players on a football team, and so the number of concussions per season on a football team is not "that high" (so a small number, like 2-3) and just like the other sports. It is also not that clear how many other head hits most kids are taking. Again, not that many, and probably less than players in soccer to the extent they are heading the ball. Football has lots of "other" injuries like broken bones.

I do wonder though that the boys playing youth that have a shot at the NFL or even major college are exceptional. So the number of players like that are a tiny percentage with elite talent. most youth football players are not really hitting that hard. But those players are "in" the collision on every play they are in, so an elite player may have 30-40 major hits in a game (since they are delivering them) and the average player 3-5 at most (where they are getting hit); and that adds up game after game. So those elite players may be in on 100x more major hits at the youth level than an average player.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 10, 2017 09:06AM
I still believe it is going to 1-2 lawsuits that will start the process of closing contact sports down in public schools. Given the research showing the dangers of concussions, it will be hard to defend against such suits. Football may be the trigger sport, but it will expand rapidly to any sport involving substantial risk.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: November 10, 2017 11:51AM
In football, you get hid hard on every play, or at least pretty much so. That's certainly the case with linemen and offensive backs. What's left except deep defenders?

What's missing right now is a definitive non-invasive test for the precursor to CTE. It might be some version of MRI or the PET scan, or it might even be a simple blood test. When that test comes into being, we will have a better idea of how pervasive brain damage is. Note that CTE is not believed to be the result of a few concussions, but the result of the thousands of collisions that football players accumulate over the course of a career. Another question which is as yet unanswered has to do with whether college players who do not go on to pro football have early CTE and if so, what fraction of them.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: November 10, 2017 01:02PM
billb

Kindly explain what was political about Costas' statements.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 10, 2017 01:56PM
Nah, someone will #finally# design a helmet that can cushion the impact more substantially and the game will go on.

Why it's taken so long for something that has existed in the motorsports world to translate into the sports world is a bit of a mystery. Yes, they'll cost a fortune, and be made of carbon fiber, so it's unlikely that little kids will have access.
Date: November 10, 2017 02:42PM
What we don't have yet is data on players that have come up through the system that have played under the newer protocols. The players being diagnosed and studied now played under the systems where hiding a concussion was common practice. Youth leagues and schools have enabled coaches and refs to stop games in order to check on players. The attention paid to concussions has only been going for about 5-6 years. I believe helmet technology will improve and that will help a little. It will never be 100% safe but it will improve.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 10, 2017 09:03PM
pRICE cUBE
What we don't have yet is data on players that have come up through the system that have played under the newer protocols. The players being diagnosed and studied now played under the systems where hiding a concussion was common practice. Youth leagues and schools have enabled coaches and refs to stop games in order to check on players. The attention paid to concussions has only been going for about 5-6 years. I believe helmet technology will improve and that will help a little. It will never be 100% safe but it will improve.

When my step-sons played HS football, you get a diagnosed concussion, you are done for the season. You get a "maybe" you are out for at least the next game. 2 "maybes", done for the season.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 12, 2017 01:20PM
No helmet blocks the energy - and our brains are sponges in hard rock.

Playing without helmets is likely safer.
Date: November 12, 2017 05:56PM
sekker
Playing without helmets is likely safer.

Again... rugby.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 282
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015