advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Searching for TMobile phone deals
Posted by: Randalls
Date: November 11, 2017 08:23AM
I would like to upgrade phones and switch carriers. Family phones are currently a 5s and 4s running on Puretalk (AT&T MVNO) and would like to switch to the TMobile Senior deal ($60 for 2 unlimited).

The (bought used) 4s apparently needs unlocked but I am also currently looking at these Black Friday deals. Does anyone know of any deals on TMobile phones (other than Swappa)?

I know Best Buy has had sales but they do not carry TMobile phones. TMobile wants $350 for the SE. Have to be better deals out there or Swappa might be an option.

Any help appreciated
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Searching for TMobile phone deals
Posted by: Forrest
Date: November 11, 2017 08:49AM
You may want to look at Consumer Cellular. I have 3 lines (2 iPhones + home) on and pay $65 per month for 250 minutes talk/unlimited text/3 GB data. CC runs on the AT&T network, unlocked phone is not required. A new 32 GB iPhone SE costs $160.
Posted by: mspace
Date: November 11, 2017 09:16AM
I'm on t-mobile and have just always bought used unlocked ATT iPhones. They work on the same technology. If the phone is unlocked and uses the same tech, it does not have to be t-mobile specific.
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 11, 2017 09:53AM
If you have a good T-Mobile signal, I don't think there's any way you can beat that Senior deal of $60 for two lines with unlimited everything. I'd be on it in a second if I had a decent T-Mo signal at work. But I don't.

If it were me, I'd at least look on the local Craigslist. Or Amazon. Or even eBay. Just exercise the usual caution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2017 09:54AM by wurm.
Date: November 11, 2017 09:58AM
wurm
If you have a good T-Mobile signal, I don't think there's any way you can beat that Senior deal of $60 for two lines with unlimited everything. I'd be on it in a second if I had a decent T-Mo signal at work. But I don't.

If it were me, I'd at least look on the local Craigslist. Or Amazon. Or even eBay. Just exercise the usual caution.

This. I'm on that plan. Very nice.

I've always used CL for phones because I'm more comfortable checking them out live.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 11, 2017 11:15AM
I don't think T-mobil switcher buyout program works for any plan but the One plan and Verizon unlocked phones.

Get a discounted SE at Bestbuy/Walmart/ that will work with the MNVO sim and switch in 6 months/after the phone has been unlocked ?

The only deals T-mobil seems to have right now is $50 off a iphone 7 thru Costco and $300 of a trade-in towards an iphone X thru a t-mobil store. Pretty sure those offers are plan credits not cash.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 11, 2017 11:18AM
Take a look at [www.decluttr.com] .The prices area bit less than Swappa, and phones carry a 12-month warranty.

If you are selling the 5s, send me a PM. I might be interested in it to replace my dying 4s.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: November 11, 2017 11:22AM
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: November 11, 2017 11:38AM
We've been on Tmobile a few years now, just got iPhone 7 256GB for same price as Apple store 128GB, and can trade in every year (I think it's every year). Anyway, the deal beat Apple store deal when we bought in August. And, on a cross country trip in August, I had LTE signal almost everywhere! Rarely lost a signal.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: November 11, 2017 01:52PM
Thanks, I will check out everyones info. I am a Costco member though, I will first try to unlock via AT&T but feel the 4s, although in great shape, may be nearing it's life expectancy as far as speed goes. It would be great to have some unlimited data though.
Date: November 11, 2017 02:51PM
Haven't been to Costco yet but since I am running on an AT&T MVNO I am guessing this is locked through AT&T as the TMo folks tried their card and it did not identify it. I just put the IMEI number in on AT&T site and it took it but did not allow me to continue to the next step to unlock with no explanation.

Does this mean I am denied and how do I find out why. We have been using this phone for almost 2 years without incident.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: November 11, 2017 03:15PM
Randalls
I know Best Buy has had sales but they do not carry TMobile phones. TMobile wants $350 for the SE. Have to be better deals out there or Swappa might be an option.

Any help appreciated

If you're not picky about color you can get a new iPhone SE 32G unlocked for AT&T at Best Buy for $149. It will work on T-Mobile. I've moved my phones between T-Mobile and AT&T without any problems.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 11, 2017 04:58PM
T-Mo switches up hardware deals every few weeks, so keep an eye on 'em. Also, all their deals are not easy to find, so it may benefit you to make a new friend w/ someone in management at your local T-Mo store that can fill you in. As noted, you should be able to score a usable SE for well under $200 if that's what you want. We're on T-Mo (both pre & post paid accts.), and about a year ago Baby Buzz got fed up w/ his 4s, and got a 6s+ from someone that upgraded to a 7x... FWIW, the 4s is now basically an iPod Touch... the 4s was on prepaid the last few years; it was on postpaid the first year, or so, because for some reason T-Mo couldn't hook it up to prepaid. I'd be leery about a 4s these days w/ its limitations, regardless of how good of shape it's in.
Good luck on the hardware; the T-Mo geezer deal is tough to beat.
==
Date: November 11, 2017 05:59PM
Thanks, the TMo people commented on the 4s "Gee, that's old but it looks great". Still working well but my wife and I only get 400 mb data currently. Wifi is great but for $20 more we get the unlimited everything. I had/have ppd flip phones for back up so know the signal here in the flat lands should be good
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 11, 2017 06:10PM
I switched to the T-Mobile Senior Plan 7~10 days ago. On Long Island, NY, I'm getting MUCH better signals from T-Mobile than I do with ATT (which I'll be dropping soon). The voice quality has been excellent. After I dumped Sprint, THEN they made an effort to get me back. It's too little, too late.
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 11, 2017 06:32PM
Randalls
Haven't been to Costco yet but since I am running on an AT&T MVNO I am guessing this is locked through AT&T as the TMo folks tried their card and it did not identify it. I just put the IMEI number in on AT&T site and it took it but did not allow me to continue to the next step to unlock with no explanation.

Does this mean I am denied and how do I find out why. We have been using this phone for almost 2 years without incident.

Yeah, I bought one of those those locked SE deals from Best Buy and I'm on Pure Talk. Even though it's an AT&T MVNO, my year+ with them doesn't matter. In order to unlock, you need to use it on AT&T Prepaid for a minimum of six months. I actually contemplated going through the whole hassle of activating the AT&T sim card and using it minimally for six months just to get it unlocked. Then I realized that hell, I'm very happy with my $20/mo plan with PureTalk (unlimited talk and text and 500MB high speed data, throttled after that), so why even bother.
Date: November 11, 2017 06:41PM
Well I was happy with the Puretalk plan until they took their wifi away from me at work. I hate running out of data just checking email and checking the forum with an occasional gps fix as required when traveling
Posted by: flareslow
Date: November 11, 2017 07:33PM
I'm on the T-Mobile Senior Plan. If you are going with T-Mobile, when you look for a new iPhone, go no lower than the model 6s. IPhone 6 and below do not have the receiver for the 700 Mhz LTE bands that Tmobile has used to fill in the areas where they had poor coverage previously. My wife has a 6+, and she finds many areas where she has no service. I have a 6s+ and have found the coverage adequate, but not as good as Verizon. Make sure you zoom into your usage area on the T-Mobile coverage map - you will see some of the holes.
Date: November 11, 2017 08:10PM
flareslow
I'm on the T-Mobile Senior Plan. If you are going with T-Mobile, when you look for a new iPhone, go no lower than the model 6s. IPhone 6 and below do not have the receiver for the 700 Mhz LTE bands that Tmobile has used to fill in the areas where they had poor coverage previously. My wife has a 6+, and she finds many areas where she has no service. I have a 6s+ and have found the coverage adequate, but not as good as Verizon. Make sure you zoom into your usage area on the T-Mobile coverage map - you will see some of the holes.

Not sure what you mean. I have a 5S and get LTE all the time.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: November 11, 2017 09:06PM
If you google iphone 700 Mhz LTE, you can find an Apple Support article that describes the differences in the iphone models. The salesman I dealt with when signing up alluded to the fact that our Verizon iphones may not have coverage everywhere. I suspect he was oversimplifying the difference in the iphone models.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 11, 2017 09:10PM
mspace
flareslow

Not sure what you mean. I have a 5S and get LTE all the time.

The iphone 6 doesn't have band 12 which is a low frequency band that has better penetration than some other frequencies. T-mobil built out some LTE areas with band 12 and some areas without. T-mobil primarily uses band 2 or 4 everywhere as well as 12 in some places so as long as your phone is within that range it will work fine.
Most models of the 5s have band 2 and 4 for lte so should work in most T-mobil areas fairly well.

The gov't auctions frequencies for the phone companies to use every now and then so new phones get trancievers to communicate on them. Band 12 was 2008 auction iirc. There were some othernew frequencies auctioned off this last Summer.

Edit: iirc band 12 was a frequency that was freed up when OTA TVs when from analogue to digital and got repurposed. AT&T won at auction a band of their own too and that band is only present in the "sim-free" and some of the AT&T models of 6s and 6s plus.
I haven't kept up with what's in 7,8 and x phones for tranceiver frequency bands.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2017 09:18PM by billb.
Date: November 13, 2017 10:27AM
Good to know, thanks for the info everyone
Posted by: Winston
Date: November 15, 2017 10:14PM
Agree with the iPhone 6S suggestion, or an SE (which is a 6S "lite").
Lots of rural areas (see northern half of Michigan) where T-Mobile coverage is all LTE Band 12.
Suggestion on specific models below.

Summary:
For T-Mobile, get any 6S, or the Global/Sprint version of the SE.
The AT&T/SIM Free version of the 6S has one additional AT&T band, which might later help resale value.
If you don't care about international roaming, then the AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon version of the SE is OK, but for international roaming, get the Global/Sprint version.

Detail:
iPhone SE
Note that the Global/Sprint/A1723 version of the SE has international bands which the AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon versions lack, but is missing LTE Bands 13 (Verizon) and 29, 30 (AT&T). I got a Global/Sprint SE for use on T-Mobile. T-Mo does not use any of the missing bands and has great international roaming. (See more on international bands at the end of this.)

All models all unlocked and contract-free.

Good comparison at Everymac
[everymac.com]

iPhone 6S
Note that all unlocked 6S models have almost the frequency bands, regardless of original carrier. The A1688 6S, sold for Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile, lacks LTE Band 30, used by AT&T, but is otherwise identical to the AT&T/SIM Free/A1633.

Some were sold locked to a carrier.

Here's a model summary I did recently for my son of the A1633 6S:

iPhone 6S - Apple Model No: A1633 (EMC 2946*) Model ID: iPhone8,1
Apple Order No. Details:
AT&T Models
Silver AT&T
16 GB - MKQ62LL/A
64 GB - MKQA2LL/A
128 GB - MKQF2LL/A

Gold AT&T
16 GB - MKQ72LL/A
64 GB - MKQC2LL/A
128 GB - MKQG2LL/A

Space Gray AT&T
16 GB - MKQ52LL/A
64 GB - MKQ92LL/A
128 GB - MKQE2LL/A

Rose Gold AT&T
16 GB - MKQ82LL/A
64 GB - MKQD2LL/A
128 GB - MKQH2LL/A

Unlocked, contract-free, and sold without a bundled nano-SIM
Silver
16 GB - MKRD2LL/A
64 GB - MKRH2LL/A
128 GB - MKRM2LL/A

Gold
16 GB - MKRE2LL/A
64 GB -MKRJ2LL/A
128 GB - MKRP2LL/A.

Space Gray
16 GB - MKRC2LL/A
64 GB - MKRG2LL/A
128 GB - MKRL2LL/A

Rose Gold
16 GB - MKRF2LL/A
64 GB - MKRK2LL/A
128 GB - MKRQ2LL/A.

Some online stores quote these by "Apple Model No." and some by "Apple Order No." which is more specific. Occasionally you will also see the EMC number. The EMC number is the least specific, as it covers the U.S. and three international models, all with different Apple Model No. You want the A1633.

Apple Refurb Store
[www.apple.com]

PowerMax (prices will be too high - we'd have to call them)
[www.powermax.com]

Gazelle
[buy.gazelle.com]

Amazon
[www.amazon.com]

Glyde
[glyde.com]

Swappa
[swappa.com]

Important LTE Bands missing on some phones:
7 - Canada, Europe & elsewhere
28 - South America, Pacific Rim & elsewhere
12 - T-Mobile
13 - Verizon
29, 30 - AT&T
38, 39, 40, 41 - China TD-LTE

For example:
- iPhone SE Global/Sprint/A1723 has 7, 12, & 28 and China TD-LTE, but lacks 13 (Verizon), 29 & 30 (some AT&T)
- iPhone SE United States/A1662 has 12, 13 & 29, but not 7 or 28 or the China TD-LTE bands (38, 39, 40, and 41), or AT&T's band 30.
- iPhone 6S AT&T/SIM Free/A1634 has ALL the bands mentioned.
- iPhone 6S Global/A1688 lacks band 30.

iPhone SE Bands by model:
[www.techwalls.com]

Apple LTE band specs:
[www.apple.com]

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 10:20PM by Winston.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015