Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Myth or Reality: Generic Ink Kills Inkjet Printers
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: November 12, 2017 10:38PM
My Brother MFC-J430W won't print magenta, and I squandered most of Saturday morning to fix it to no avail. My friend says "Never use non-name brand ink!" I say it's a myth, but what the hell do I know.

So: Myth or Reality?

So, I can spend money for a cleaning kit and make a mess trying to get this to work, or I can live without magenta in my life, or I can trash this printer and buy a new one.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Myth or Reality: Generic Ink Kills Inkjet Printers
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 12, 2017 10:57PM
Nothing but generics in our Brother 835, runs great. Sometimes sits for a month or 2 with no printing.

I wouldnt buy an new printer *unless* it took generics.

Although, we print so rarely these days its kind of a moot point.

I use generics in my laser printers as well (HP 6500 & xerox 7400) -- not really the same tho...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 12, 2017 11:35PM
Depends on the quality of the generic ink and how well it matches the required specs. Poor quality or incorrect spec'd ink can dry up and clog the jets. Same holds for toner for laser printers and copiers. OEM will match the required specs. I have seen good and bad generic ink and toner out there, it is a bit of a gamble each time with generics.
Posted by: Carm
Date: November 13, 2017 03:35AM
What JoeH said about quality of inks. I try to stick with one brand. That has been speedy inks or something like that on Amazon. Been working fine on my Brother Printer.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 13, 2017 05:40AM
Uncle,

What Joe says. However, another caveat is that even OEM ink tanks and toner cartridges can be hit or miss. Brother OEM toner has given me trouble now and again. Never an issue with HP OEM toner or ink tanks.

One thing to look at when it comes to generics is the cartridge itself. I'm using a generic cartridge in a Brother HL-2270DW and it's troublesome. It intermittently causes the low toner light to display on the printer. I looked at the cartridge and, it turns out, it's not even a refilled Brother cartridge. It's totally aftermarket. The toner is fine and the output is dandy, fortunately.

Never an issue with aftermarket cartridges from tonergreen.com before but I am a touch leery now. I won't use their cartridges in the HP printers that I own that have chipped cartridges and toner. I'll still use their products in older HPs that lack the chips.

For the most part, I still use OEM ink and toner. I wait until I have a big honkin' discount coupon or two to purchase it. Not sure this is why I rarely have issues with ink and toner but it could be a contributing factor.

Robert
Posted by: MacJeepster
Date: November 13, 2017 05:44AM
Inkjet printers deserve to die.
I've never had one of any brand last more than a month. They suck time and destroy expensive ink and paper on their inevitable journey towards not working at all.
Meanwhile, over the last 30 years, I've had just 3 monochrome laser printers and the first two were still working well when I retired them:
1. An Apple LaserWriter II that lasted 20 years (it wanted to run over Appletalk, but kludge after kludge it got more difficult to keep it on the home network, besides I didn't want to pay $90 for another toner cartridge)
2. I replaced it with an HP LaserJet 3000 I bought used with new rollers and 2 toner cartridges for less than a new cartridge for the LaserWriter. I used it for 10 years.
3. And last month I bought a Canon spanking-new MF230 for about $40 because the kludges I was using to print from our iPads were a PIA. Now, out of the box, this beauty prints from our iPads, iPhones, plus scans and functions as a copy machine. You see these around this price frequently; it's a sweet deal.
Color? You want to print your beautiful photos? in the rare instance B&W doesn't cut it, Walmart's near my house and I've found they do a great job - often within one hour - for just pennies. So do lotsa other places.
I'll never buy ink or troubleshoot an inkjet printer again.

-mj
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: November 13, 2017 05:58AM
Real men don't use magenta.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 13, 2017 06:01AM
...the quality of the generic ink and how well it matches the required specs. JoeH
.this
Almost three years ago I rescued my MFC-J825DW. Clogged by my own stupidity.
This post has all the gory details. It also has a direct link to Brothers Svc Manual (PDF) that includes the MFCJ430W.
btw, I didn't buy the 'cleaning kit', used Method All Purpose Cleaner.

YouTube vid I used for guidance.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Mr645
Date: November 13, 2017 07:12AM
Several years ago I bought 6 Epson inkjet and added generic bulk inks to them. Within a few weeks 5 of the 6 printers were clogged beyond repair while the 6th went on and worked for several 5+ years until it stopped because the waste ink pads were full, which is determined by number of pages, not anything to do with how full the ink pads are.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 13, 2017 08:33AM
IMHO, unless you use them daily, inkjets will clog to death. My next color printer is gonna be a laser.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 13, 2017 08:36AM
Cbelt,

Daily is unnecessary. At least a few pages every couple of weeks or month, sure, daily? No. That's a bit extreme.

Robert
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: November 13, 2017 09:17AM
I've never used anything but OEM Epson carts. But the last 4 (or 5) inkjets I've owned have expired anyway from the dreaded clog. My last printer died a year ago. I haven't replaced it, but when I do, it won't be an Epson and it might not even be an inkjet.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 13, 2017 11:51AM
cbelt3
My next color printer is gonna be a laser.

A CMY printer does not have the gamut to produce true photo quality output.

Of course if you don't care about this that's fine.

And if you want to reduce the halftone problem, you need more than just CMY as well. The better inkjet printers do this by adding "light" CMY cartridges as well as CMY.

$$$

This is why others, myself included, simply pay someone else to do their color printing.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 13, 2017 11:56AM
cbelt3
IMHO, unless you use them daily, inkjets will clog to death. My next color printer is gonna be a laser.

+1

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: November 13, 2017 02:02PM
cbelt3

Horsepuckey! I've been using Canon inkjets for years, both with Canon and generic inks, with typical printing rates of once every week or two, and some periods of more than a month without printing. I have yet to have one clog. Color lasers are not at all a substitute for inkjets if you are interested in photographic printing.

In the distant past, I did experience clogging issues with Epson inkjets, but that was 10 or 20 years ago. Pretty likely that the technology has moved on from those days.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: tortoise
Date: November 13, 2017 04:10PM
davester
cbelt3

Horsepuckey! I've been using Canon inkjets for years, both with Canon and generic inks, with typical printing rates of once every week or two, and some periods of more than a month without printing. I have yet to have one clog. Color lasers are not at all a substitute for inkjets if you are interested in photographic printing.

In the distant past, I did experience clogging issues with Epson inkjets, but that was 10 or 20 years ago. Pretty likely that the technology has moved on from those days.

agree smiley

Like the Davster I have never experienced a clogged Canon inkjet, my first printer was an Epson and in about two years it clogged several times and an Apple support tech suggested Canon had a long relationship with Apple (apparently some of the early Apple branded printers were made by Canon). I bought a Canon to replace the RPITA Epson and have never had a problem since with the three Canons I subsequently purchased over a period of twenty years. (Two of them still running strong but often sit idle for weeks since I retired three years ago.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: November 13, 2017 08:13PM
I use generic ink in both my Canon inkjets with no problems.
I have a refurbished Brother HL-5250DN that I bought cheap from Amazon in Aug 2007. I've always used generic toner cartridges and it is still going strong. It's a network duplex laser and probably the best laser I've ever owned. Ten years! Try to beat that with a cheap laser printer made today.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015