Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New TOAST versions
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 13, 2017 06:05AM
I see 16 is out. Any good or bad comments on upgrades?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New TOAST versions
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: November 13, 2017 06:28AM
13 Reviews on Amazon give it 3.5 stars out of 5.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: November 13, 2017 06:30AM
Oops! dunno smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 06:30AM by WHiiP.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 13, 2017 06:30AM
...french.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rz
Date: November 13, 2017 09:12AM
I gave up on Toast a while back. I got, I think, v12 a few years ago and got the "pro" version that would allow me to burn BR discs. I would rip my BR discs to MKV files and try to make backup discs. The results were all over the board. I'd either get a disc where the picture was really messed up, or I'd finally get one where the picture was ok, but after about 20 minutes or so, the sync between the picture and sound was noticeably off. By the end of a 2 hour movie, they were off by over a second. Playing the MKV file on my computer would not have these issues, so it was part of the encoding.

I searched for answers for months, and probably went through two dozen BR discs from 3 different vendors before giving up. I've just decided that I don't need a "hard" backup copy anymore. My son has been pretty good about not scratching up the originals when he plays them, so I haven't worried about it anymore.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 13, 2017 09:27AM
I didn’t think they still made it.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 13, 2017 10:27AM
I have used Toast since Shep was a pup. Comfortable for me and easy. but I'm using vs 2 and haven't upgraded.
Posted by: clay
Date: November 13, 2017 12:30PM
Yeah, i don't think there has been a ton of innovation in desktop CD/DVD burning in some time. My guess is that any new version of Toast is basically just a minimal update to keep OS compatibility, etc. I'm currently using v11, which works well for my needs. There are a couple other CD/DVD burning programs out there, but none have the features that I need for audio CD burning that Toast does.

I probably wouldn't bother with v16 unless it adds some feature that I had to have. Would be hard to imagine what they would offer that would be needed. I'm seeing v12 on eBay for around $15. I'm sure there are good prices on others as well.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 13, 2017 01:09PM
Honestly, as it has matured, it has gotten very odd. If you have a version that still works with your OS version, and it does what you need it to do, leave it alone.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 13, 2017 01:15PM
......just like after getting married.......it never quite works the same as it did....before the marriage......

.....Toast used to be great but not lately, older versions on older OSes are still great.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 13, 2017 02:19PM
V12 here, it works , I'm happy, no need to upgrade.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: ArtP
Date: November 13, 2017 03:26PM
I still get their spam emails - the burning app just gets interface changes but the bundled add ins get better.

Years ago it was TiVo transfer then Blue Ray burning - and I think the last version added screen recording so you can demo how to use an app on YouTube or face book,

I have two versions installed on my iMac - but I always use the older one (12 and 14 I think)

Wanna see what was added in 16
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 13, 2017 07:06PM
I think after V9, they all take forever to load on my MBP. V7 takes about 3 dock bounces. V9 I can go make a pot of coffee.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: November 13, 2017 08:49PM
Just looked - I am using Toast 10 mostly but I have 14 installed also (along with 8 and 9 - need to do some Housekeeping one day).
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: November 13, 2017 11:00PM
Used to upgrade whenever the price dropped to $24 bucks. (Usually coinciding with a convention/expo, so it's been awhile since they had deals like that.)

Now I upgrade when I find it in a cheap bundle.

Like this one.
[9to5mac.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 178
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015