advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Toilet Runs when sprinklers are on.
Posted by: Microman
Date: November 13, 2017 10:44AM
Backyard sprinklers turn on, and the toilet on 2nd floor right above valve for backyard sprinklers, begins to run. After sprinklers turn off, the running stops.

I found this link with thoughts on what it could be:

[answers.yahoo.com]

Just can't imagine that water pressure dropping at the toilet because the outside sprinkler is on, would do what?, to cause the tank to drain?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Toilet Runs when sprinklers are on.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 13, 2017 10:48AM
the tank actually drains?
or it runs over the overflow tube because the shutoff stops shutting off ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 13, 2017 11:19AM
....haven't you heard the expression....sprinkle....when you tinkle.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 13, 2017 11:56AM
Maybe it runs all the time but you only hear it when sprinkling.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: November 13, 2017 12:01PM
I'd guess your fill valve has a worn out rubber diaphragm or seal. Normally the water pressure keeps it closed, but a drop in water pressure can make an old one act up. You may be able to replace just the diaphragm -- it's a common fix for a fluidmaster, and the replacement seals are pretty easy to find. Or just put in a new fill valve.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 13, 2017 12:20PM
Does your sprinkler water have a peculiar odor?

Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." Jim Hightower
Posted by: Buck
Date: November 13, 2017 01:07PM
Ammo
Does your sprinkler water have a peculiar odor?
smiley-laughing001
Posted by: davester
Date: November 13, 2017 02:11PM
Mike Johnson
I'd guess your fill valve has a worn out rubber diaphragm or seal. Normally the water pressure keeps it closed, but a drop in water pressure can make an old one act up. You may be able to replace just the diaphragm -- it's a common fix for a fluidmaster, and the replacement seals are pretty easy to find. Or just put in a new fill valve.

That was my first thought. Seems pretty obvious and the fix is simple.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: davester
Date: November 13, 2017 02:12PM
Mike Johnson

That was my first thought. Seems pretty obvious and the fix is simple. I wouldn't be surprised if the valve is already leaking and wasting water...you just can't hear it because the leak is slower when the sprinklers aren't running.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: November 13, 2017 02:17PM
My toilet runs when it hears me coming up the stairs.
Date: November 13, 2017 02:20PM
....eau de toilet......??

Posted by: gabester
Date: November 13, 2017 07:44PM
Is it actually running or do you just HEAR the sound of the water running to the sprinkler through the pipes that are apparently shared with your sprinkler? A previous house I lived in had this issue where you could acutely hear the hose running through the cold water pipe that it shared with second story bathroom.

Kitchen sink, much closer to the hose outlet, had an entirely separate pipe run to it.

Actually, now that I think about it, so did the bathroom... but I think the hose pipe resonated with the bathroom toilet pipe.
g=
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 14, 2017 01:01AM
Yeah, it's gotta be just the sound, there is no pressure in a toilet tank, it's just standing water
Posted by: Microman
Date: November 14, 2017 12:08PM
During the 2 minutes the sprinklers are on, and I am up, I take the lid of the toilet, and I can see water being delivered to that tube from the valve. After sprinkler turns off, toilet stops delivering water.
Date: November 14, 2017 12:08PM
......where does the toilet run.....to.......??

.....can it now run....a marathon......???

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 14, 2017 04:01PM
Microman
During the 2 minutes the sprinklers are on, and I am up, I take the lid of the toilet, and I can see water being delivered to that tube from the valve. After sprinkler turns off, toilet stops delivering water.

honestly, this would be a great This Old House feature. you'll probably get Richard to visit you and figure this one out.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 14, 2017 04:25PM
I would also check that all your system's ball valves are fully open.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 14, 2017 09:59PM
Microman

how much water goes to the sprinklers and how much to the toilet? I mean you use 10 G of water for the sprinklers and you worry about 2 oz of water during this time?
Date: November 15, 2017 06:15AM
billb
I would also check that all your system's ball valves are fully open.

.....so check the balls....??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015