advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Will a dashcam get you out of a ticket ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 13, 2017 04:21PM
My youngest son fell into the typical college town ticket trap by getting a 'rolling stop' ticket while driving a car with out of state plates. He swears he stopped. Now I'm wondering if a dash cam would have given him an out.

Any dash cam users have similar tales to tell ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Will a dashcam get you out of a ticket ?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 13, 2017 04:29PM
If you could go frame by frame through the video with the judge, and prove the vehicle had stopped, probably.

If it is an issue of the cop thought you didn't stop, and you can prove you did, sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 04:30PM by Racer X.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 13, 2017 04:29PM
sure, but he'd have to contest it in court.
Posted by: Carm
Date: November 13, 2017 04:32PM
Yes he can fight it in court. As long as he can prove the car stopped using the video footage. He can still fight it and not have to prove anything if the officer doesn't show up. At least that's how it works in CA the last time I contested a ticket.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 13, 2017 04:34PM
Not a chance. Too easy to alter video. Maybe if there was a continuously moving object in the frames - like the car your son was driving. I suppose you could subpoena the cop's dash cam video but good luck with that.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 13, 2017 04:34PM
Same in Washington. The officer never showed up and my ticket was tossed. I was innocent too, and I'm pretty sure the officer knew that, after further reflection, and just blew off court.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 04:35PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: November 13, 2017 04:35PM
I feel so much better with a DashCam. With many car accident suspicious stories, I want to have recorded evidence of what happened. With lawsuits and increased insurance rates, it is a smart investment to me.
Just prior to the eclipse got a speeding ticket While visiting Yellowstone, I didn’t think there was a speed limit decrease where I was pulled over. Turns out there was according to my DashCam, so I just paid it. BTW-Tickets In National parks don’t get reported to the states, si I just paid it with no additional ramifications.

As an added feature, the ThinkWare F770 I have, will alert you for lane departure warnings, and forward collision avoidance. (I have that off, since the car already does that)
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 13, 2017 05:20PM
I received a ticket for going around a chicane at 75mph in an '83 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with >140k miles pulling a trailer with a Cub Cadet lawn tractor on it. I posited that perhaps the cop mistook me for the '89 Corvette that was in front of me. The judge dropped the speed on the ticket to 5 over the limit so I received no points but he didn't want to admit that the cop was wrong. I paid a $125 fine and received no points instead of a $500 fine, plus traffic school, plus points on my license.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: November 13, 2017 06:57PM
Racer X
Same in Washington. The officer never showed up and my ticket was tossed. I was innocent too, and I'm pretty sure the officer knew that, after further reflection, and just blew off court.

In NY when the cop doesn't show up they just reschedule the court-date after you've already taken the day off work, etc. They'll do this up to dozens of times until you give up and pay. (At the judge's option.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 06:58PM by Onamuji.
Date: November 13, 2017 07:04PM
Shows a lot of disrespect for its citizens. But that's New York for you.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 13, 2017 07:53PM
In Massachusetts, the cop doesn't have to show up, just a rep for the judge to rule against you
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 13, 2017 08:13PM
ANYTHING could happen in traffic court. But it seems like only fools show up.

If he goes in, is respectful, presents his evidence as clearly as possible, its likely that the judge will let it go simply because he's enjoyed a break from talking to @#$%&.

Posted by: dk62
Date: November 14, 2017 07:35AM
Onamuji
Racer X

In NY when the cop doesn't show up they just reschedule the court-date after you've already taken the day off work, etc. They'll do this up to dozens of times until you give up and pay. (At the judge's option.)

This was not the case in Buffalo when I got out of the ticket because the cop never showed up. But it was ~20 years ago.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 14, 2017 10:14AM
Speedy,

You really think a judge hearing your traffic ticket case with a crowded court room with cases waiting to be heard is going to be overly concerned footage on a cam was altered? Unlikely. Judges don't want cases to linger. They want things to move along smoothly and arguing over whether or not footage was altered creates unnecessary delays. Seems to me that would be one of the last things a judge wants under the circumstances.

Robert
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 14, 2017 10:30AM
Robert M
Speedy,

You really think a judge hearing your traffic ticket case with a crowded court room with cases waiting to be heard is going to be overly concerned footage on a cam was altered? Unlikely. Judges don't want cases to linger. They want things to move along smoothly and arguing over whether or not footage was altered creates unnecessary delays. Seems to me that would be one of the last things a judge wants under the circumstances.

Robert

Yes, I think the judge will rule it inconclusive or inadmissible. Faking a stop in a video should be easy unlike faking an accident. It all depends on what else is happening in the video. The cops dash cam makes for better evidence.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 14, 2017 11:58AM
Speedy,

MEthinks you're jumping to a conclusion. You've no idea what a judge will do with the video. At the least, he/she should view the video to assess its validity. What happens after that is a different matter entirely.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015