advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Yesterday, 30 million people had normal blood pressure. Today it's high...
Posted by: DP
Date: November 14, 2017 07:18AM
Put down that salt shaker!

Thirty million Americans are getting some bad health news: they have high blood pressure and need to do something about it, according to new, more aggressive hypertension treatment guidelines released by heart doctors Monday.

The guidelines also call on patients already in treatment to work toward the lower goal – a reading of no more than 130/80, down from the old standard, 140/90.

[www.usatoday.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Yesterday, 30 million people had normal blood pressure. Today it's high...
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: November 14, 2017 08:02AM
That's me causing the new standards. I was at the ER a couple of weeks ago for high BP. Top end was hitting 210. Got some new meds and a modified diet.

Fred
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: November 14, 2017 08:05AM
All caused by the legal drug wars. Drug companies have developed new "tested and proven safe and effective" drugs that will drive down blood pressure, so now they need to create a larger market for them. With, of course, the help of the Goobermint and the "healthcare industry".

Do some research on the prescription drugs you might be taking and look into what all the known side effects are and you'll most likely find that many of the symptoms you have are related to the prescription drugs. Statins, Metformin and BP meds all contribute to other symptoms and also feed into the symptoms of these various drugs themselves.

And it's all a viscous cycle. Processed oils in the foods we eat build up in our cell walls making it harder for the body to get nutrients into the cells. The body responds by increasing the production of glucose, so over time your blood sugar levels (A1C) goes up. But glucose is abrasive to the blood vessels, so it creates weak spots in the vessels. The body responds by producing more "bad" cholesterol which drives up your cholesterol levels and starts restricting blood flow. The body responds by increasing blood pressure. The doctors respond by giving you drugs to lower BP, flush cholesterol and lower your glucose levels. But you continue eating the "FDA proven safe and good for you foods" that contain processed oils. So your body starves itself to death, but it's all good because your test levels are all in the "normal" range.

It takes time but the best solution is to loose excess weight and stop eating foods with processed oils. The body is a remarkable machine and it time it can heal itself.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: November 14, 2017 08:26AM
All I know is I've had fibromyalgia for years and the constant pain and tension causes high blood pressure for me. Usually it's about 147/97 or so, in hospital couple weeks ago, it went to over 190/105 or so. I am now 100% pacemaker dependent, had 90% main artery blockage and had stent put in one month ago. Whew, without modern medical, I'd be a goner by now. eek2 smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 14, 2017 08:29AM
Salt is the new cholesterol.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 14, 2017 08:51AM
"They've" been warning of high salt content and ill effects on the human body, especially in processed foods, for decades.

Lowering the red line is a healthy idea.
So is spending at least an hour a day exercising somehow some way.

Seems to me they raised the line in the sand a few years back and this is just putting it back where it was.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 10:36AM by billb.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 14, 2017 09:56AM
Decades ago, I got called to a house where a senior gentleman had just come back from his doctor. His blood pressure spiked sphygmomanometer at 300! Of course, the MD wanted him in the hospital stat but, he insisted he had to go home first to talk to his wife. He drove himself home and, after talking to his spouse, called 911 to get the local volunteer ambulance to respond and drive him to the hospital. A 911 "aided case" call always resulted in a police car being dispatched too (PD usually arrived before the volunteer ambulance). After hearing his story, I got him started on O2 and, waited for the ambulance to arrive (which should only have been 2~10 minutes). NO local "vollies" were available, NO mutual aid vollies either (quite unusual). 30+ minutes later, I advised my dispatcher that I would do the transport (something HIGHLY frowned upon by my agency). I kept him on O2 and upon arrival at the ER, I told the receiving nurse of "Mr. Jones' 300 diastolic BP. I've NEVER seen a facial expression like that before (or since). Mr. Jones was taken straight inside faster than I thought was possible. Just to look at Mr. Jones, there was NO sign that he was ready to self-destruct. I never did find out how Mr. Jones fared. I was happy that I could bend the rules to help him.
Posted by: chopper
Date: November 14, 2017 10:05AM
One of my father in laws blew a 290/ in the dentist chair. They transported him and after 48 hrs he went home with meds and orders to stop smoking, drinking and more drinking. I asked him how he was faring with the meds and he laughed and said never took a one.

He stroked out couple a months later. He survived but is very messed up. Spends his SSI check every month on phone sex.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 14, 2017 10:21AM
chopper
One of my father in laws blew a 290/ in the dentist chair. They transported him and after 48 hrs he went home with meds and orders to stop smoking, drinking and more drinking. I asked him how he was faring with the meds and he laughed and said never took a one.

He stroked out couple a months later. He survived but is very messed up. Spends his SSI check every month on phone sex.

Well, at least he had a happy ending.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 14, 2017 11:07AM
Speedy
chopper

Well, at least he had a happy ending.

Every month.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 14, 2017 04:07PM
a classic case of "take this drug now... later on, we'll give you another drug to cure what the first drug caused." there is no free lunch.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 14, 2017 05:23PM
bobinmurphy
And it's all a viscous cycle.

Don’t you just hate those? Impossible to wash out in the laundry. grinning smiley
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 14, 2017 06:24PM
Cha Ching.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Wags
Date: November 14, 2017 08:08PM
Mine generally runs about 120/70 and the nurse always acts surprised, like its something they don't usually see.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 14, 2017 10:37PM
Hypertension really IS a problem for many people - and dropping it has long-term health effects.

My MIL had hers go untreated for 40 years - caused anemia and kidney failure in her 70s.

Get your BP closer to normal.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 16, 2017 01:12AM
All my life I have heard 120/80 was normal. Frankly, I'm shocked to hear that 140/90 was considered normal. It sounds very high to me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015