Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone gone from verizon to aol email?
Posted by: blooz
Date: November 14, 2017 09:58AM
Having a problem here with the transition. If you don't know, verizon stopped doing emails and farmed it out to AOL. We can keep our name@verizon.net address, but AOL is handling the email.
I had no trouble with the transition, but my elderly friend (even more elderly than me) can't get it to work on her macs. We can go to mail.aol.com and she can read and send from there, so all is not lost.

But we cannot get her email to work on her imac or the air mac. We tried aol help and had a frustrating half hour with someone whose English was not even second language, but maybe third or fourth. He wouldn't talk to me until she got on the line and confirmed that yes I was authorized to talk for her. Even then, the character kept asking her technical questions which she had no idea how to answer.

Anyway, if we can log on to her account thru aol, then the problem is with the info we are putting in the computers.
All we originally had to do is change the incoming port. I have changed that. No luck. Anyone else had a problem—and how did you solve it?

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone gone from verizon to aol email?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 14, 2017 10:01AM
Honestly I've used AOL email since 1987, and I have never had a problem connecting to any system. Nowadays I just use whatever setting wizard they offer. I will note that AOL has used IMAP instead of POP protocol for like forever, and that may be the issue.

[help.aol.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 14, 2017 10:16AM
If you are using the dedicated AOL app, then forget about it. It's crash prone and very, very slow. I use only the web interface and it works the best on the iPhone, iPad and Mac.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: November 14, 2017 11:34AM
Forced switch for us over a year ago. No problems using it with Thunderbird. Just get tired of all the Lifelock ads and requests to upgrade to a paid version when using their online version (it wasn't my choice to select AOL)...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 14, 2017 12:06PM
....so AOLs well.....that doesn't end well.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Carm
Date: November 14, 2017 12:27PM
I hate AOL mail. Old and New Mail implementation... WTF is that about. My FIL is on AOL mail so I support AOL on his Dell desktop and iPhone 7 Plus.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 14, 2017 12:58PM
Can't help much here as I chose to not move my Verizon DSL email to AOL earlier this year. No more verizon.net email address to give out to the few I wanted to have a more private address to contact me on. But cbelt3 may be onto part of the problem, Verizon email was definitely POP, and any settings left over from that need to be carefully scrubbed.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 14, 2017 04:03PM
We switched ourselves and the inlaws in the past year. I followed the tutorials. I don't recall any issues moving the inlaws over.

For our own, we've kept the verizon email address as our main address (and opened the Verizon/AOL account) but we have everything forwarded through a gmail account.
Posted by: Harooneneutics
Date: November 15, 2017 06:42AM
I helped my parents with this -- they were having issues with the transition also, but I'm pretty sure adding it as a new account in Apple Mail (rather than changing settings on the existing account) was what finally worked.

I used these instructions from AOL -- but maybe you've already been down that road.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015