The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Something funny happened on the way to the Forum... Compuserve Forums to die
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 14, 2017 12:56PM
[www.fastcompany.com]

Hi, I'm 72431.124 ( Or something like that, it's been well over 35 years since I had a Compuserve ID). I would participate in the Apple ][ Forums, and the Apple Pascal one was sort of useful.

Sigh.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Something funny happened on the way to the Forum... Compuserve Forums to die
Posted by: Pops
Date: November 14, 2017 01:04PM
Wow. I had some great experiences with a 2400 baud modem and CompuServe and GEnie forums. We'd share personal information that's frightening to think about now. CompuServe connected me to innumerable families who shared experiences from Europe with the kids I was then teaching. One woman in Switzerland sent individual cards to each of my students, as well as a videotape of Alps scenery (which I had to have translated into US playable video.)
Re: Something funny happened on the way to the Forum... Compuserve Forums to die
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 14, 2017 02:16PM
Makes you wonder how much data it is. Gigabytes? Terabytes?

Impressive that it stuck around as long as it did.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 14, 2017 02:18PM
.....so they just got.....'served......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: November 14, 2017 02:25PM
I had no idea that any part of compuserve was still running.

I loved that that every member was in a searchable database. I kept the email addresses of the Grateful Dead for years, but never used one...
Posted by: bfd
Date: November 14, 2017 06:55PM
Compuserve Forums outlived Compuserve GIFs.

Besides Compuserve and AOL, what else was there?

…eWorld anyone?
Posted by: hal
Date: November 14, 2017 07:07PM
Prodigy and... I just can't remember the name... Delphi (I think that was it)
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 14, 2017 08:11PM
Also GEnie

Any idea if any of these former services wre archived anywhere?
Posted by: Drew
Date: November 14, 2017 08:24PM
I moved to Japan in 1991. Felt so far away from home, family, and friends. Signed up with CompuServe about a year later and it was a huge change. In those days, local telephone calls in Japan were billed by the minute, except between 11:00PM and 6:00AM, when the call was a fixed price regardless of time. CompuServe and AOL really bogged down from 11 to at least midnight.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 14, 2017 10:01PM
I'm younger than most people who remember the days of dialing in to BBS systems in California with an IBM386. So many hours spent playing Kroz and Ragnarok.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: stephen
Date: November 14, 2017 11:26PM
I was there! On my Apple IIe, if I am remembering correctly? Maybe it was an early Mac.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 15, 2017 06:50AM
I still cringe at how much money CompuServe could suck out of my pocket in a month. When AOL came along, worked with Macs, and cost a flat $25 a month, I jumped ship in a heartbeat.
Posted by: JPK
Date: November 15, 2017 07:46AM
I was a Prodigy and Compuserve 'member' but NEVER succumbed to AOL.

JPK
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 15, 2017 09:39AM
I started with Delphi. who staked their fortunes on the notion that this whole GUI-interface-to-the-Internet thing was just a silly fad.

I greatly preferred AOL to Compu$erve. It wasn't a joke in the beginning.
Posted by: Buck
Date: November 15, 2017 02:02PM
Does that mean my account will be deleted? Forever?
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 18, 2017 09:57AM
ka jowct
I still cringe at how much money CompuServe could suck out of my pocket in a month. When AOL came along, worked with Macs, and cost a flat $25 a month, I jumped ship in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I never used "CB Simulator" but folks using it paid $$$

I also connected at 2400 baud for the lower hourly rate.

Was very happy when AOL went to a fixed monthly fee, even though I had to pay extra per hour for their 800 number access for awhile.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 178
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015