Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
When pigs fly
Posted by: billb
Date: November 15, 2017 12:50PM
[nypost.com]

This "Emotional Support Animal" scam has gotten ridiculous . Should certified handicapped people be accommodated, absolutely whenever possible. Whiny dependent snowflakes ? Absolutely not.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: When pigs fly
Posted by: numbered
Date: November 15, 2017 01:45PM
Could not agree more. On a recent flight two women had three retrievers. I have retrievers, but come on. And then there is this

or this

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 15, 2017 02:18PM
So if emotional support animals can fly free.. My wife is essential to my emotional well-being, why can't I claim her and she fly's free?

hmmm..

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 15, 2017 02:26PM
Typical situation where a legitimate need is being abused by unethical people. Look at handicapped parking . I often see spry young folk hopping out of their car with grandma's handicapped hang tag on the rear view mirror. Yes, I know, it just means walking far is hard, but these kids are in no way handicapped except for their personal lack of ethics.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 15, 2017 02:29PM
Emotional support animals — including pigs — are allowed on flights, under federal rules drafted in 2012.

Monkeys, cats and even miniature horses all qualify as “emotional support” animals.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 15, 2017 02:38PM
billb
[nypost.com]

That article is 3 years old, I was curious when it mentioned a US Airways flight, since they don't exist any more.

What brought this to the surface today?
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: November 15, 2017 04:17PM
cbelt3
Typical situation where a legitimate need is being abused by unethical people. Look at handicapped parking . I often see spry young folk hopping out of their car with grandma's handicapped hang tag on the rear view mirror. Yes, I know, it just means walking far is hard, but these kids are in no way handicapped except for their personal lack of ethics.

Worked for a man whose son is a cop and he told me a story where his son saw a young lady pull into a handicap spot with a tag hanging in the window. He asked her what her handicap was and she admitted that she wasn't handicapped and the tag belonged to her mother. He reached in and retrieved the tag and wrote her a ticket, telling her she could explain to her mother where the tag went and why. The ticket here in Texas is a $500 fine and it can't be adjudicated by taking a comedy club driver education course, so the points stay on your license. Bet that young lady doesn't do that again!

Actually I wish more cops were doing things like this. Seems to me we've gotten to the point that all the little infractions get ignored so people get it in their minds they can get away with even bigger things. Nail them for the small things in life and they'll think twice about doing bigger crimes. What my ex-SIL used to call "pulling weeds in the garden" when she was correcting her kids for small things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 04:20PM by bobinmurphy.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 15, 2017 04:28PM
bobinmurphy
He reached in and retrieved the tag and wrote her a ticket, telling her she could explain to her mother where the tag went and why. ...

Yep. At work (really .. WORK !) we had people abusing handicapped parking. So you had to see the nurse with a doctor's note before you could park in work handicapped parking. And she gave you a pass you had to leave on the dashboard. Many open handicapped parking spaces appeared !

Just like I see people who are just plain lazy and fat riding the electric carts at the store. Hey ! Walk ! Burn a little weight !
Date: November 15, 2017 04:38PM
cbelt3
Yep. At work (really .. WORK !) we had people abusing handicapped parking. So you had to see the nurse with a doctor's note before you could park in work handicapped parking. And she gave you a pass you had to leave on the dashboard. Many open handicapped parking spaces appeared !

Just like I see people who are just plain lazy and fat riding the electric carts at the store. Hey ! Walk ! Burn a little weight !

Apple used to have that problem, but that guy isn't there anymore.

Posted by: PeterW
Date: November 15, 2017 05:17PM
Didn’t that guy have a little problem with his pancreas?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 15, 2017 05:29PM
PeterW

Yeah, but he was doing the HP spot parking long before that was ever an issue.
Date: November 15, 2017 05:31PM
PeterW

He started parking there around 1997, long before the pancreas problem, and I don't think his health problem limited his mobility while he was able to drive.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 15, 2017 05:34PM
In my state cops cannot tag a violator on private property. The owner of the property can have the vehicle towed - like that will happen.

bobinmurphy
cbelt3

Worked for a man whose son is a cop and he told me a story where his son saw a young lady pull into a handicap spot with a tag hanging in the window. He asked her what her handicap was and she admitted that she wasn't handicapped and the tag belonged to her mother. He reached in and retrieved the tag and wrote her a ticket, telling her she could explain to her mother where the tag went and why. The ticket here in Texas is a $500 fine and it can't be adjudicated by taking a comedy club driver education course, so the points stay on your license. Bet that young lady doesn't do that again!

Actually I wish more cops were doing things like this. Seems to me we've gotten to the point that all the little infractions get ignored so people get it in their minds they can get away with even bigger things. Nail them for the small things in life and they'll think twice about doing bigger crimes. What my ex-SIL used to call "pulling weeds in the garden" when she was correcting her kids for small things.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 15, 2017 07:46PM
cbelt3

I seen that behavior in a Meijer's store a few years ago. Two healthy young bucks, still in High School, both wearing letter jackets with all their fancy patches, riding side by side on two electric carts giggling like schoolgirls throughout the store. I felt like slapping them both off of the carts and giving them a stern talking to.

My Mother spent the last five years of her life in a wheelchair. I am quite sensitive observing crap behavior like what those two jerks were displaying.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 15, 2017 09:02PM
Why do you think this happened on private property?

Speedy
In my state cops cannot tag a violator on private property. The owner of the property can have the vehicle towed - like that will happen.

bobinmurphy
cbelt3

Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 15, 2017 11:00PM
Seems like Diazepam would be a cheaper and easier solution than an "emotional support critter". I had no idea that Federal law allows this nonsense. I mean, I see people with these critters all the time, but I figured it was just simply California high weirdness.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 15, 2017 11:28PM
bobinmurphy
cbelt3

In Washington State, they also issue the handicapped an ID card. Police can ask to see the handicapped person, the card, and the handicapped's photo ID. You can't produce all three at the same time with the parked car, expensive ticket. I have a handicapped plate on one car, and the tag travels between 2 other cars. I'm HAPPY to verify if asked. It really pisses me off to see an unmarked vehicle in a handicapped spot. Period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 11:39PM by Racer X.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 16, 2017 12:00AM
I thought this was going to be about the bread
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 16, 2017 12:15AM
I think if someone wants to claim their rights as a disabled person with a legit helper animal, the animal should be credentialed, and their human to carry the proper animal ID, unless the animal has on their helper "gear" vest thingy.

I'm fed up with random animals in grocery stores and the staff won't call them on it because they don't want to offend a customer or cause a ruckus

If I have to produce the proper disabled ID on demand to use handicapped parking, why not for helper animals? Every legit person/animal pair I have met were very open and honest. Suspect people are always evasive and confrontational.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 16, 2017 03:49AM
Don't blame the staff for not calling out a customer with an "support animal" - they are not allowed too under federal guidelines except under certain circumstances. Store employees usually want the animal out more than most customers.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 16, 2017 11:49AM
Ombligo
Don't blame the staff for not calling out a customer with an "support animal" - they are not allowed too under federal guidelines except under certain circumstances. Store employees usually want the animal out more than most customers.

Truth in that, I know that I can't bring it up with people with "support animals" in the library where I work. But I did get some satisfaction watching and hearing one person get talked to by another library user. Her yappy lap dog jumped up and went after a seeing eye dog. The seeing eye dog placed itself in between the attacker and its master while the other dog's owner took her time getting her dog under control. He told in no uncertain terms that she needed to get her dog properly trained if she was going to use it as a companion dog.

Eventually the woman and her dog were trespassed from the building a few months later after it had crapped on the floor on a couple occasions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2017 11:50AM by JoeH.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 16, 2017 02:52PM
....oink.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 167
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015