advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
High Sierra
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 16, 2017 10:27AM
What's the consensus on High Sierra? I saw that it is available for installation. I haven't watched the keynote yet where it was announced and I probably won't. They're just painful to watch without Steve on stage. They used to be entertaining...not so much anymore.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: High Sierra
Posted by: maco
Date: November 16, 2017 10:35AM
ztirffritz
What's the consensus on High Sierra? I saw that it is available for installation. I haven't watched the keynote yet where it was announced and I probably won't. They're just painful to watch without Steve on stage. They used to be entertaining...not so much anymore.

Steve Jobs FUNNIEST moments (1978-2011)

[youtu.be]
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: November 16, 2017 10:37AM
I see NO reason to use it, at least yet.

I have a fusion drive, so no benefit from the new File System.

Nothing I can't live without. I'm waiting, but not concerned!

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: November 16, 2017 11:01AM
I'm waiting too, first time for me! I usually install new stuff immediately, no problems doing it that way so far, but I'm waiting a bit this time.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 16, 2017 11:35AM
No issues here.
Posted by: RoadToad
Date: November 16, 2017 12:24PM
No issues with SSD here.

Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger...
Posted by: particleman
Date: November 16, 2017 01:35PM
I updated to High Sierra despite the fact it does not work fusion drives. I wanted the security updates including the one addressing the KRACK wi-fi hack. I have had no issues. I did wait for the 10.13.1 release though.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 16, 2017 02:04PM
.....only if you want to be living the High Life......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 16, 2017 02:09PM
Not installing it. It's incredibly arrogant and shabby of Apple not to address the KRACK issue in anything except High Sierra. Fortunately, I can just shut off wifi on my main systems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2017 02:09PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: FormerlySaleenl
Date: November 16, 2017 05:22PM
My husband, Mike, has been doing a ton of High Sierra testing and has written several articles about it that reference CCC, but there is a ton of info in there for non-CCC users, too.

This article gives a lot of great basic info about filesystems and High Sierra: Everything you need to know about Carbon Copy Cloner and APFS -
[bombich.com]

We've run a number of tests of HFS+ vs APFS and published the results, as well as any High Sierra issues we've identified through customer tickets: High Sierra Testing and Known Issues -
[bombich.com]

Last, I'm still using Sierra but Mike actually upgraded to HS almost a month ago. He is not an early adopter, at all, so this was a huge surprise. He wrote a blog post about it: Evaluating the High Sierra Upgrade -
[bombich.com]

Hope this helps!
Sarah
Posted by: hal
Date: November 16, 2017 05:34PM
Wow! thanks sarah. I've been meaning to do some deep research - now I don't have to!
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 16, 2017 05:38PM
FormerlySaleenl
My husband, Mike, has been doing a ton of High Sierra testing and has written several articles about it that reference CCC, but there is a ton of info in there for non-CCC users, too.

This article gives a lot of great basic info about filesystems and High Sierra: Everything you need to know about Carbon Copy Cloner and APFS -
[bombich.com]

We've run a number of tests of HFS+ vs APFS and published the results, as well as any High Sierra issues we've identified through customer tickets: High Sierra Testing and Known Issues -
[bombich.com]

Last, I'm still using Sierra but Mike actually upgraded to HS almost a month ago. He is not an early adopter, at all, so this was a huge surprise. He wrote a blog post about it: Evaluating the High Sierra Upgrade -
[bombich.com]

Hope this helps!
Sarah

very nice, thank you.

But I noticed he says " You can't opt-out of the transition to APFS." and link to an Apple article. Someone posted a way to prevent the APFS conversion, I think it was posted yesterday or two days ago.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: November 16, 2017 06:54PM
ka jowct
Not installing it. It's incredibly arrogant and shabby of Apple not to address the KRACK issue in anything except High Sierra. Fortunately, I can just shut off wifi on my main systems.

Apple patched it in El Cap and Sierra.

[appleinsider.com]

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: November 16, 2017 06:56PM
ka jowct

This was fixed for Sierra and El Capitan over 2 weeks ago. Update your Macs and allow them to party on WiFi like it's 1999.

[support.apple.com]
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 16, 2017 08:20PM
I’m using Mavericks 90% of the time, Yosemite occasionally, El cap not at all, and Sierra once in a while. I also still use Snow Leopard occasionally. However, I don’t need to use wifi with my Mac Pro most of the time, if ever.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 16, 2017 09:06PM
Upgraded a month after announcement. Stable, no issues I know of. Mid 2012 MBP with a Samsung EVO SSD

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 16, 2017 09:10PM
ka jowct

Apple sucks.

There, I said it.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 16, 2017 09:12PM
particleman
I updated to High Sierra despite the fact it does not work fusion drives. I wanted the security updates including the one addressing the KRACK wi-fi hack. I have had no issues. I did wait for the 10.13.1 release though.

It absolutely works with Fusion drives, as evidencd by the fact that you were able to install it.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: November 17, 2017 03:53PM
N-OS X-tasy!
ka jowct

Apple sucks.

There, I said it.

Yeah, but why do they suck?
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 17, 2017 11:27PM
I’m waiting. Found a major software incompatibility.

It also breaks some features like target disk mode.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 320
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018