advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
USB-C power for new MBP
Posted by: jardster
Date: November 16, 2017 12:21PM
I think I'm ready to pull the trigger for a new 15 inch MBP. So I don't have to lug a power adapter to and from work (I keep one at each place). The ones that apple sells are of course pricey, but I don't see too many on Amazon that have the same specs as the Apple one. Does anyone have experience with any particular brands that they like/don't like?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: USB-C power for new MBP
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 16, 2017 12:33PM
I have one that includes USBA outlets. Let me find the amazon receipt. Will post later.
Posted by: digby
Date: November 16, 2017 03:46PM
Just got my first new MacBook Pro in five years, and was PLANNING on buying a couple of power adapters, but it holds a charge so much longer than the old MBP that it replaced, that I haven't yet needed to recharge it every day like I used to. If I know i'm going to be doing heavy Photoshopping, I'll throw my adaptor in the car (but not take it into the building, it's just in case...).

On a related note, the first thing I bought to go with my new MBP was a USB-C to Lightning cord for my iPhone, and a handful of these:

[www.amazon.com]

At $6 each they've paid for themselves in terms of convenience. The key issue here is that the USB-C ports are so close to each other on the MBP that these were the only ones I found that I could plug in next to each other, so as to have two drives attached.

I just keep the adaptors attached to my external hard drives and my thumb drives, and I picked up some tiny USB drives, so even with the adaptors on they're still small.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2017 03:50PM by digby.
Posted by: Buck
Date: November 16, 2017 06:33PM
I have a new 2017 model, 15".
The battery lasts all day! Amazing.
And yes, I do want another AC adapter to always keep in my briefcase.
Thanks digby, I got the adapters you recommended. Including the mini dock with HDMI.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 16, 2017 08:59PM
If I got a new MacBook, the first thing I would get would be one of those USBC-magetic chargers to replace the Magsafe function!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: November 16, 2017 09:20PM
The precise charger I purchased is no longer on Amazon, but this one is very similar and is 4 stars with over 30 reviews.

I love having the USB A ports - it means that in most travel scenarios, I only need a single charger. This is specially good when I travel out of the states.

[smile.amazon.com]
Posted by: Buck
Date: November 17, 2017 02:22PM
Thanks, but...
Only 60W instead of 87W.
Requires patience I guess.
Date: November 17, 2017 11:22PM
Buck
Thanks, but...
Only 60W instead of 87W.
Requires patience I guess.

Yeah, sorry. The one I have is listed at 65W, and I have the 13” model.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 338
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018