advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What are your Black Friday plans?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 18, 2017 03:49PM
I might wander out to a few stores for miscellaneous items.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What are your Black Friday plans?
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: November 18, 2017 03:56PM
The same thing we do every Black Friday, Pinky...
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 18, 2017 04:04PM
I will be having a turkey sandwich and a piece of pumpkin pie.

thumbs up

Northern California Coast
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 18, 2017 04:09PM
Same as every Black Friday for the past 11 years: putting in a very long and tiring day of work. The only good thing is that transit should be back to a normal schedule. I hope.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: November 18, 2017 04:16PM
Yep, work for us, not a normal workday because most of the staff is taking the day off... and it's not typically a quiet day. Then, homemade Thanksgiving leftovers, because my other half is also working Thanksgiving and it's going to be just us two once he gets home. I will buy something online if it's an amazing deal and I can grab it on my lunch break, but there isn't much I would be interested in.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 18, 2017 04:19PM
I’ll be keeping a TIGHT grip on my wallet.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 18, 2017 04:28PM
I live in a small community, so as long as you stay away from Walmart there isn't a crowd. I may wander to Lowes for batteries (36 @ $5) and look at a smoker. I may also go by Bealls for bath towels (90% off). Neither store will have a line. It also gives me something to do in the morning since I'm the only early riser in the house.

The only big ticket items I was thinking about, a TV and a refrigerator, we bought a few weeks ago (good thing too, the BF prices are higher than we paid).

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Tommie Milwaukee
Date: November 18, 2017 04:33PM
Look for a great deal on an SSD.
Posted by: maco
Date: November 18, 2017 04:36PM
Go to my in-laws for a Thanksgiving Dinner Italian Style. I'm not planning on buying anything. I'm trying to get rid of stuff, not add to what I have already.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 18, 2017 04:42PM
I might go to Costco, if I can't order what I want online.
Beyond that, and if the weather cooperates I'll be cutting firewood for 2020/21.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 18, 2017 05:24PM
TheTominator

but where will you find Leiderhosen and a duck that time of the morning?
Posted by: davester
Date: November 18, 2017 05:24PM
I'm going on a 60 mile bike ride with a bunch of friends.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 18, 2017 05:28PM
Working from 10-5. Please don't shop at my HD, between 10-5. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2017 05:28PM by rgG.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: November 18, 2017 05:57PM
I won't have a Friday the 24th, as I'm flying to Asia.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 18, 2017 06:08PM
Racer X
TheTominator

Wouldn’t Leiderhosen be pants for people who are suffering? Lederhosen would be a safer choice.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 18, 2017 06:11PM
Pinky was never that smart.
Posted by: Bo
Date: November 18, 2017 06:35PM
Rarely participate but we are long overdue for a new TV so have been on the lookout for a deal. Would love to sort it before Friday however and not deal with any craziness (and go on a bike ride instead)
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 18, 2017 06:41PM
Bo
Rarely participate but we are long overdue for a new TV so have been on the lookout for a deal. Would love to sort it before Friday however and not deal with any craziness (and go on a bike ride instead)

watch out for BF deals, they may sell models stripped down with missing features to keep the cost down.

[slickdeals.net]

Don't Overpay for These Popular Black Friday Doorbusters

There are a lot of variables to consider when buying a TV these days. From HDR and OLED screens to black levels and refresh rate, it's easy to get confused if you haven't read up on these things. For Black Friday, all doorbuster TV deals are usually derivative models, meaning they lack a lot of the important stuff. That's why they're that cheap. However, there are still good TVs available and these are the price ranges to look for.
Posted by: Pat
Date: November 18, 2017 08:38PM
Somewhere in Death Valley with no cell service and no other people.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 18, 2017 09:24PM
Sleep in, play some games, and walk the dogs.
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 18, 2017 09:33PM
Assuming they do what they've done for years, I'll buy some poinsettias and a AAA battery pack at Home Depot.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 18, 2017 10:39PM
As always...we will go skiing.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: davester
Date: November 18, 2017 10:51PM
Bo

We're starting near your house (at Marinwood Community Center, heading into rural west Marin on road bikes) at 9:45. Be there or be square!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2017 10:52PM by davester.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 19, 2017 04:59PM
I did the 5AM black Friday thing...once. Long lines for a few deals that in retrospect were not that outstanding. Certainly not 5AM on a day off outstanding. If you're not getting a genuine door-buster, most other discounts are meh.

I like to make the rounds in the late afternoon, and hit up the atypical black Friday stores...Lowes, Staples, etc. Crowds are gone, but there are still a few good deals...good enough for 2 PM after sleepy morning and a turkey sandwich.
Posted by: Buck
Date: November 19, 2017 05:02PM
I will be doing non monetary activities.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 19, 2017 05:03PM
Definitely no shopping for me. I'll enjoy time with visiting family, and probably gorge on turkey day leftovers. yum smiley

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 19, 2017 08:42PM
....looking to get a Black....eye....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 19, 2017 10:33PM
davester
Bo

We're starting near your house (at Marinwood Community Center, heading into rural west Marin on road bikes) at 9:45. Be there or be square!

Sounds like fun but I'm gonna have to be square on this one...riding dirt is my true calling. Road riding has never been a draw for me.

Best I could do would be ride over Loma Alta from my place and high five you at Lucas Valley Rd. before heading up Big Rock Trail. Would actually be kind of funny.
Date: November 19, 2017 10:39PM
space-time
Bo

watch out for BF deals, they may sell models stripped down with missing features to keep the cost down.

[slickdeals.net]

Don't Overpay for These Popular Black Friday Doorbusters

There are a lot of variables to consider when buying a TV these days. From HDR and OLED screens to black levels and refresh rate, it's easy to get confused if you haven't read up on these things. For Black Friday, all doorbuster TV deals are usually derivative models, meaning they lack a lot of the important stuff. That's why they're that cheap. However, there are still good TVs available and these are the price ranges to look for.

I've been mostly interested in a pretty basic 55" 4K tv (anything is an upgrade from our 12 year old 46" LCD). I actually wound up buying one today. Target had 15% off on top of pretty good prices to begin with [slickdeals.net] which got me the base level TCL 55" 55S405 for $315. Seems to be a pretty good value. Will pick it up tomorrow.

Looks like I just free up my Friday for a bike ride!
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 20, 2017 10:58AM
Maybe getting up early (at midnight) and heading to Target or Walmart for some cheap movies, before going off to work (at 4AM). After work I'll probably head to the Apple Store and see if the Airpods are going to be on sale.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 20, 2017 01:37PM
Only waited in line getting there at sunrise once and that was for a Cabbage Patch doll for a favorite little girl. I mostly remember sittting in the car for a while because it was freezing cold out.
That was to get one, not for a price deal.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 20, 2017 02:12PM
Go to the ABC store, get a cart, and buy lots of liquor at 20% off.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 20, 2017 06:36PM
Sleep in.

It is what it is.
Date: November 20, 2017 06:38PM
ka jowct
Racer X
TheTominator

Wouldn’t Leiderhosen be pants for people who are suffering? Lederhosen would be a safer choice.

I did my best to find an example of Leaderhosen, but I guess Steve Jobs never took that particular photo.

It is what it is.
Date: November 20, 2017 06:38PM
Pat
Somewhere in Death Valley with no cell service and no other people.

Can I com-- oh, wait...

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 24, 2017 11:20AM
....Death Becomes Her......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 223
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015