advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Fresh warnings over 'The Big One' as study finds seafloor sediments off the Pacific Northwest could unleash a megaquake AND a tsunami
Posted by: DP
Date: November 21, 2017 11:06AM
Whew! Long headline. Anyone in the PNW read this? Or is it the same old, same old...

The threat of ‘The Big One’ has long loomed over the Pacific Northwest, where several major cities from Vancouver down to northern California are cradled by the 620-mile-long Cascadia Subduction Zone.
The geological record shows the area is due for a major earthquake, which would likely be followed by a massive tsunami.
Now, a new study has confirmed the region just off the coast of Washington has the ingredients for a megaquake.

In the study, led by a team at the University of Texas at Austin, researchers found that such a quake may be more likely to strike off the coast of Washington and northern Oregon than regions further south along the subduction zone.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Fresh warnings over 'The Big One' as study finds seafloor sediments off the Pacific Northwest could unleash a megaquake AND a tsunami
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 21, 2017 11:38AM
I've been reading about the big one in the PNW for years. It's overdue, and when it happens pretty much no one is prepared or can escape it if they're west of the Cascades. if it's big enough, perhaps it will cause problems east of the Cascades too, but I choose not think about that. There was an article in Outside Magazine about 5-10 years ago that covered this pretty thoroughly. The casualty count would be in the hundreds of thousands within hours of the quakenami.

[www.outsideonline.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Re: Fresh warnings over 'The Big One' as study finds seafloor sediments off the Pacific Northwest could unleash a megaquake AND a tsunami
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 21, 2017 11:43AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2017 12:54PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 21, 2017 12:00PM
Just watch a few videos of the Fukishima quake and wave, wont take much convincing.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: numbered
Date: November 21, 2017 12:13PM
This treatment in the New Yorker from 2015 explains...

"The Really Big One" Including all the history and local lack of planning about Cascadia...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 21, 2017 12:24PM
.....is this the 'Big One' that Kirstie Alley was referring to in her thank you speech [ with regard to her then husband Parker Stevenson - 'Hardy Boy' ].......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Buck
Date: November 21, 2017 12:46PM
Old news.
Click bait.

Next will be a "new" report about the Yellowstone Supervolcano.
Either disaster, I'm screwed.

Que sera, sera.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 21, 2017 01:01PM
Excellent read, thanks for posting it.

My stepbrother used to live in San Jose, CA. He would give me grief about living in Florida with all the hurricanes. my answer was simple - at least I didn't have to worry about waking up at a new address.

ztirffritz
I've been reading about the big one in the PNW for years. It's overdue, and when it happens pretty much no one is prepared or can escape it if they're west of the Cascades. if it's big enough, perhaps it will cause problems east of the Cascades too, but I choose not think about that. There was an article in Outside Magazine about 5-10 years ago that covered this pretty thoroughly. The casualty count would be in the hundreds of thousands within hours of the quakenami.

[www.outsideonline.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 21, 2017 01:12PM
numbered
This treatment in the New Yorker from 2015 explains...

"The Really Big One" Including all the history and local lack of planning about Cascadia...

Good read, the article won a Pulitzer.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 21, 2017 01:13PM
Living at the south end of the Cascadia "zone" and the north end of the "san andreas" zone, and west of the Gorda plate "triple junction"... this is not news, really.

The Cascadia zone is capable of 9-point quakes, along HUNDREDS of miles of the subduction fault at once. Think Indonesia 2004, only bigger and more populated.

If a quake like that happens, and you hear about it on the radio, and you're near a coast anywhere on the pacific rim? Get to high ground immediately...
A few years ago when house hunting, I passed up a place about 200 yards from the bay. This was one of the reasons (well, it being $20,000 higher than my budget was another reason).

Count on MINUTES before the wave hits the West Coast.

If it happens in our lifetime, well, it will be worse than anything this country hass seen in 250 years, wth the possible exception of the Civil War.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: November 21, 2017 01:29PM
Paul F.
The Cascadia zone is capable of 9-point quakes, along HUNDREDS of miles of the subduction fault at once. Think Indonesia 2004, only bigger and more populated.

Actually, I think that the area of the Asian tsunami was much more densely populated. When I was in Chenai I saw the lines on the sides of the buildings where the water reached. I think there are more people in Chenai than in Portland, Seattle, Tacoma, Spokane, Eugene, Yakima, Richland/Kennewick/Pasco combined, and that's just one city affected by that Tsunami. My guess is that they don't really have a clue how many people died because so few people don't have an actual address. Also, if your entire family and all your friends disappear overnight...who reports you as missing?

Coincidentally, I was sitting on a beach in Mexico sipping margaritas when that quakenami struck. That was a little un-nerving.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 21, 2017 04:26PM
That is a good point.. but, the wave here would roll down the ENTIRE west coast, hawaii, up through The Canadian coast, and Alaska. How high a wave would it be by the time it got to San Francisco and Los Angeles? I don't know.. but it would be traveling several hundred miles an hour.

It would suck. A lot.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: November 21, 2017 04:53PM
Paul F.
It would suck. A lot.

Also a good point. Regardless of where it happened, there would be plenty of suckage to go around for sure. Just for gits and shiggles, I looked up the population of Chennai and LA. 9.9mil vs 3.9mil respectively.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 21, 2017 06:47PM
East coasters only need to worry about that landslide in the Canary Islands.

Imagine a 200 foot wall of water hitting NYC...

[www.washingtonpost.com]

[nws.weather.gov]
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 21, 2017 09:46PM
Ombligo
My stepbrother used to live in San Jose, CA. He would give me grief about living in Florida with all the hurricanes. my answer was simple - at least I didn't have to worry about waking up at a new address.

But you might have to worry about having AN address.

Gone With The Wind
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 22, 2017 03:02PM
I didn't read the link, but it sounds like old news. There is a 300 year pattern, and 2000 was 300 years since the last. I'm planning on heading to Racer X' s house, but he's probably heading to mine. We're illprepared.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 23, 2017 12:11AM
Paul F.
Living at the south end of the Cascadia "zone" and the north end of the "san andreas" zone, and west of the Gorda plate "triple junction"... this is not news, really.

If a quake like that happens, and you hear about it on the radio, and you're near a coast anywhere on the pacific rim? Get to high ground immediately...
A few years ago when house hunting, I passed up a place about 200 yards from the bay. This was one of the reasons (well, it being $20,000 higher than my budget was another reason).

Count on MINUTES before the wave hits the West Coast.

If it happens in our lifetime, well, it will be worse than anything this country hass seen in 250 years, wth the possible exception of the Civil War.

New Madrid quake 1811-1812 [en.wikipedia.org]

Don't forget the Alaskan quake in 1964. [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2017 12:12AM by Racer X.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 179
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015