advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone Here Know Sewing Machines?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 23, 2017 07:10PM
I've seen vacuums and TVs and whatnot discussed here, but never sewing machines.

Dr Janie wants a new one, and next week is her birthday. Her Sears Kenmore model 158-10301 dates from 1970, and it's just worn out; it was repaired recently, but still doesn't work properly. Though she used to make clothes, she does mostly repairs these days, so wants a machine that does the basics, is robust (can handle denim and other heavy cloth), and a good value.

Any suggestions?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone Here Know Sewing Machines?
Posted by: flareslow
Date: November 23, 2017 07:26PM
My mom and my wife both use Berninas. It's not made anymore but if you can find a Bernina 931 in good shape, it's a good all around machine.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 23, 2017 08:07PM
mechanical? I would probably look for a used and very old SINGER on craigslist

electronic? I was told to stay way from Singer and look for a Brother model.

that being said, I do not have a sewing machine. I grew up with sewing machines in my houses (parents, grandparents), but myself I never owned one.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 23, 2017 08:11PM
I once dated a singer.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 23, 2017 08:37PM
I used to baste a sewing machine - she kept me in stitches.

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell

Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." Jim Hightower
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: November 23, 2017 08:58PM
ROTFLMAO!

You guys slay me!!!

That said, back to sewing machines...I have two. One is a Singer made back in the late 70's, non plastic and heavy as all get out, still works like a dream. One of my quilting teachers suggested get a Brother to carry to classes instead of the heavy Singer. She recommended this one: Brother-CS6000i

I think I ordered it from Amazon rather than Walmart but it does everything I need plus doesn't cost an arm and a leg or a new car. And it's lighter to lug around to classes and has handled everything I've sewn on it.

I just went to a local quilt show and fainted at the price of the Berninas there, no way I can justify spending the price of a car on a sewing machine with features I would never use in my lifetime. But all they had there was the top of the line ones, not familiar with the basic models at all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2017 09:03PM by Lizabeth.
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 23, 2017 09:10PM
mrlynn, you're in MA, right? It wouldn't be much of a birthday gift, but I have a Singer Futura 900 machine just taking up space here. I can't even tell you for certain whether it works or not. I think it even has the table that goes with it. It was my mother-in-law's, and every time I think about listing it on eBay or Craigslist, I get sidelined with something else. If you're interested, let me know and we could work out something, I'm sure.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: November 23, 2017 09:23PM
I'm a fan of the Singer 221

Mine's still running like a champ after 65 years.

Posted by: space-time
Date: November 23, 2017 09:24PM
SDGuy

that's the one my families have.
Posted by: max
Date: November 23, 2017 09:45PM
space-time
SDGuy

that's the one my families have.
The industrial model was 211, built like a tank.....
Date: November 23, 2017 10:16PM
We actually have my mother's sewing machine in our basement. It is built into its own table. My daughter used it for a time, but decided it was not up to snuff, and so there it sits. My wife does not want to bring it up with its bulky table and try to resurrect it. It, too, is a Kenmore, though much older than hers:

Wurm, thanks for the offer, but I think Dr Janie has her sights set on a newer one. Reading Amazon pages this evening, she thinks the Jenome 2212 might do; mechanical, but with the 'free arm' and 'drop feet' features; has very good reviews.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Buck
Date: November 23, 2017 11:36PM
We have an old Pfaff, made in Germany.
It's worth tuning it up every 2 years or so.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 23, 2017 11:57PM
I've got my mom's Bernina. I'm set. I get her Viking and Juki when she gives up sewing.

She Tom Sawered me when I was about 12. I needed some pants hemmed, and she said she was very busy, but she would show me once and handed me the manual. After a few dozen broken needles, I could sew. That Bernina even made some seat belt webbing and leather knife sheaths.
Posted by: Bo
Date: November 23, 2017 11:58PM
A second vote for the Brother-CS6000i. I bought one two years ago when I needed to learn to sew some cushions for outdoor seating furniture I had built. Easy machine to learn on, lots of accessories and a great value. Only gripe is that the cover just kind of sits over it loosely. Wish it came with an integrated case.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 24, 2017 07:49AM
I would avoid anything with fancy computerized features. Definitely check out the Singer 4423 heavy duty, it's no Bernina but is an excellent value, only $126 on Amazon. I got that to replace my wife's mothers old Kenmore of a similar 70s vintage that was just done. The new one has been great and she had been able to do everything you mention wanting. Only complaint is the lightweight foot pedal that tends to slide around.
Date: November 24, 2017 08:32AM
mikebw
I would avoid anything with fancy computerized features. Definitely check out the Singer 4423 heavy duty, it's no Bernina but is an excellent value, only $126 on Amazon. I got that to replace my wife's mothers old Kenmore of a similar 70s vintage that was just done. The new one has been great and she had been able to do everything you mention wanting. Only complaint is the lightweight foot pedal that tends to slide around.

Looks promising (I'm a sucker for anything 'heavy duty') but since looking up the two features I mentioned earlier, Dr Janie has decided she wants them (hadn't heard of them before): 'free arm' and 'drop feet'.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 24, 2017 10:11AM
In the early 70s, I worked as a salesman at the Singer store on 3rd Ave & 45th St in NYC. For Christmas that year, I bought my mom the top of the line Touch~n~Sew 750 (then an almost $500 machine). I have it and, although it hasn't been used in years, it's still in great condition. I keep meaning to put it (and many other things I no longer need) up for sale. My experience in the past with Craigslist had been very poor. People calling and then not showing up when they said they would (and not even calling to cancel) or, wanting to trade their sick cat & a toaster for a $200+ iPhone. turbo naughty smiley

I'm on Long Island, NY. Even though that Singer 750 is made from aluminum, it's too heavy to ship (especially in the table it is set in). If anyone nearby is interested, PM me.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 24, 2017 10:26AM
mrlynn
mikebw

Looks promising (I'm a sucker for anything 'heavy duty') but since looking up the two features I mentioned earlier, Dr Janie has decided she wants them (hadn't heard of them before): 'free arm' and 'drop feet'.

/Mr Lynn

My wife assures me that the Singer 4423 has both of those features.

EDIT: Like many machines, the housing around the left edge can be removed, hence the 'free arm'.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2017 11:02PM by mikebw.
Posted by: mspace
Date: November 24, 2017 10:55AM
Had to replace my machine way back. The repair person said that the newer machines with all the plastic parts had way more trouble than the older heavier (read metal) parts. I ended up getting a mid 70s Kenmore 1430.

It's been great. Can do the basics along with a number of specialty stitches. Totally worth the purchase.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: November 24, 2017 04:30PM
A lot of sewing machines market their zillion stitch options when in fact most users only use a small number of them. Sounds like that description fits your buyer. Brother seem to get high marks but my personal experience is only with a Pfaff bought in the late '80s. It's built like a tank. I feel pretty sure that it will outlive me.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: November 24, 2017 05:59PM
Bo
A second vote for the Brother-CS6000i. I bought one two years ago when I needed to learn to sew some cushions for outdoor seating furniture I had built. Easy machine to learn on, lots of accessories and a great value. Only gripe is that the cover just kind of sits over it loosely. Wish it came with an integrated case.

There's an universal Brother carrying case on Amazon that I bought for mine that works great. Can't find the link tho...and it's not expensive either.
Posted by: Bo
Date: November 24, 2017 10:56PM
Lizabeth
Bo

There's an universal Brother carrying case on Amazon that I bought for mine that works great. Can't find the link tho...and it's not expensive either.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do some searching. Wouldn't have thought of that.
Date: November 26, 2017 10:57AM
DECISION!

Dr Janie decided she wanted the Jenome 2212 sewing machine, basic, mechanical, with the features she liked. Good Amazon reviews, but we bought from a place called Ken's Sewing Center in Muscle Shoals, AL:

[www.kenssewingcenter.com]

Price is the same as Amazon's, with free shipping, and machine comes with a few extra goodies, too. They take Paypal, and a nice lady named Holly called to confirm the shipping address.

Thanks for all the stories and suggestions. Anyone want my mother's old Kenmore? It's on a disappearing tray on an expandable wooden table, so wouldn't be easily shippable.

/Mr Lynn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015