advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best Plan for Swapping Computers?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 29, 2017 01:37PM
My 2015 27" iMac has arrived from Sixth Avenue Electronics!

[forums.macresource.com]

Now to change over from my '09 iMac. I assume the new one will be running a later OS (not sure which, as I haven't booted it up yet, maybe El Cap?). I have a TM backup, and my nightly clone from last Thursday.

So my guess is that I should leave the OS alone for now, and just move all the data files over from my clone (on a USB2 HD).

Should that include all folders, or just those in my User folder? What about Libraries (wherever they are)? What about Applications and Utilities? Copy those one at a time and see if they work with the new OS?

Then I've got to make sure my Documents folder will sync up to the one on Dropbox. I'll give the new iMac a different name from the old one.

Anything else to worry about or remember?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best Plan for Swapping Computers?
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 29, 2017 01:53PM
I'd just take the option that the new Mac should give you when you first start up - transfer info from another Mac.

Unix (and Macs) can work in mysterious ways, and I've outsmarted myself more than once.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 29, 2017 02:29PM
If your TM backup is from this morning, thats prob what I would do. new iMac will ask for TM backup, just plug in drive and go. Hopefully the old drive is USB 3 so it goes faster...

As for apps, if you can download and install the latest versions from the makers site, thats what I would do. You prob dont have any utilites.

As for Dropbox, reinstall the app, log in, and let it do its thing. It should resync like nothings changed. If your DB is really full (mine is 300 GBs) then it might take a bit to download depsning on your net speed.

Yes, its El Cap. Im torn whether you should stay or just move straight to HS. Im gonna say go straight to HS, start as fresh as you can.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: November 29, 2017 04:13PM
TM backup is from last week, too. I shut down the old iMac after I started getting R/W errors on my SD! clone backup. So it's not currently on the network. Could put it back on (but not on Internet, or else Dropbox will start updating from the last few days of files from this MBP); I do fret that if the new iMac copies from the old iMac (rather than from the TM or clone backup) that it might have trouble reading some files. And copying over the network is much slower than direct via USB2.

Dave at Shirt Pocket tells me that TM doesn't flag incomplete copies with read errors, so that leads me to think the clone data might be the cleanest.

Or am I worrying overmuch?

Will Office:Mac 2011 run on El Cap and later?

/Mr Lynn
Date: November 29, 2017 08:12PM
2011 works fine.

If you just pull data, yeah, then over worrying. You could just copy all of it to your desktop and sort later.

But if you are trying to "clone" it back, thats different.

You keep saying USB 2, is your old drive really USB 2? How much data? I guess if you are in no hurry thats fine, but USB 3 would be way, way faster...

----

Date: November 29, 2017 08:38PM
jdc
2011 works fine.

If you just pull data, yeah, then over worrying. You could just copy all of it to your desktop and sort later.

But if you are trying to "clone" it back, thats different.

You keep saying USB 2, is your old drive really USB 2? How much data? I guess if you are in no hurry thats fine, but USB 3 would be way, way faster...

The TM drive is a WD 2TB MyBook, USB3 I think. The Clone drive had its enclosure die, so I put the drive in a Garage Sale Toshiba enclosure I got from OWC. Don't know if that is USB3 or not. Might be.

Any reason why I can't copy whole folders and so preserve file structure?

Are you and pdq saying I should have the two iMacs on the network, so the new one can pull registration data (?) from the old one?

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 08:39PM by mrlynn.
Date: November 29, 2017 09:28PM
"registration data"? whats that?

KISS.

I still say just copy everything over to your desktop, then sort.

Everyone is different. My "documents" folder has 0 K in it, I store nothing in it.

----

Date: November 29, 2017 10:01PM
jdc
"registration data"? whats that?

Dunno; I thought thats what "the option that the new Mac should give you when you first start up - transfer info from another Mac" might mean.

KISS.

I still say just copy everything over to your desktop, then sort.

Everyone is different. My "documents" folder has 0 K in it, I store nothing in it.

Mine, too. But I do have a folder called 'LEJ-DOCUMENTS-II' which is the name of the Documents-equivalent folder I have synchronized among my two Macs and Dropbox. It's the heart of my data (aside from specialty folders like Pictures and Music) and I would need to preserve the folder structure in it. No point in copying it to the Desktop Folder when I can copy it to my User Folder. But that ought to be simple enough.

I really should weed the Desktop and Downloads folders before copying those over, though. Lots of junk in them.

That's why I was asking about a reverse-clone, since that would preserve all the folders and I could do the weeding later. I was just worried that it might also bring over OS stuff from the previous OS, and other stuff that I don't understand.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 29, 2017 11:16PM
How long did that iMac take to reach you?
Date: November 30, 2017 12:41AM
You can skip all that when you first start up your mac. And its mostly app store stuff. If you have an apple/icloud account or iphone and want to sync all them, then you enter it.

I dont, and I didnt.

And pretty sure you can transfer without it too, unless your apps are all from the app store via your apple account.

You can always log in later and redownload anything you have purchased in the past.

If you LEJ folder is IN dropbox, then you might not even need to copy it over from backup. It will just populate from dropbox.

Its how I run my wifes machine, she only gets one folder for everything, and its an alias to a folder on dropbox. So she can grab files from anywhere on any machine or iDevice.

----

Date: November 30, 2017 07:00AM
testcase
How long did that iMac take to reach you?

Two days! Ordered Monday, received yesterday. I was surprised, as I had selected the slowest (free) shipping.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: modelamac
Date: November 30, 2017 09:25AM
mrlynn
My 2015 27" iMac has arrived from Sixth Avenue Electronics!

[forums.macresource.com]

Now to change over from my '09 iMac. I assume the new one will be running a later OS (not sure which, as I haven't booted it up yet, maybe El Cap?). I have a TM backup, and my nightly clone from last Thursday.

So my guess is that I should leave the OS alone for now, and just move all the data files over from my clone (on a USB2 HD).

Should that include all folders, or just those in my User folder? What about Libraries (wherever they are)? What about Applications and Utilities? Copy those one at a time and see if they work with the new OS?

Then I've got to make sure my Documents folder will sync up to the one on Dropbox. I'll give the new iMac a different name from the old one.

Anything else to worry about or remember?

/Mr Lynn

If you have a clone on that USB2 drive that is free of glitches (or relatively free), then just connect it to the new iMac and Migrate everything. Drag N Drop sometimes does not include critical hidden files, and you never know when that happens until something does not work later on.

There should be absolutely no problem with Dropbox. You will be asked to login and that is that.

After the data is transferred, you should go through your Sys Pref settings VERY THOROUGHLY. My experience is that some settings get changed for unknown reasons or are not transferred as they should be.

You will be told that you should re-install everything from scratch. There are a few benefits doing that that are not available via Migration. I have found that in my case those benefits don't appear. It really depends on the quality of the clone. If it runs reasonably trouble-free, Migration works well.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".
Date: November 30, 2017 09:36AM
modelamac
If you have a clone on that USB2 drive that is free of glitches (or relatively free), then just connect it to the new iMac and Migrate everything. Drag N Drop sometimes does not include critical hidden files, and you never know when that happens until something does not work later on.

There should be absolutely no problem with Dropbox. You will be asked to login and that is that.

After the data is transferred, you should go through your Sys Pref settings VERY THOROUGHLY. My experience is that some settings get changed for unknown reasons or are not transferred as they should be.

You will be told that you should re-install everything from scratch. There are a few benefits doing that that are not available via Migration. I have found that in my case those benefits don't appear. It really depends on the quality of the clone. If it runs reasonably trouble-free, Migration works well.

Thanks ModelA— When you say 'Migrate everything', you don't mean the OS, do you? The new Mac will be running the later OS that it came with. (My SD! clone is bootable, so it contains OS 10.9.5).

I guess the question is: how do I segregate the OS and OS-related files from 'everything'? Or will Migration Assistant do that?

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: numbered
Date: November 30, 2017 11:16AM
modelamac has it right. The Migration Assistant will move all the files you need from Users, Library, etc, including non Apple applications. It will leave the fresh install of the OS and the new Apple apps that come with the machine.

So, if the clone is good, plug the clone in when the Mac asks you if you want to transfer. It will handle the rest.

And don't forget to get the correct "combo system update" for whichever OS from Apple because new machines don't always have the latest system updates.
Date: December 01, 2017 11:56AM
Thanks guys. Had to clean off the table (tangle of drives, cables, and dust balls) before setting up new iMac. Now happily transferring data from my clone. Only at 49 MB/sec, which I assume means the drive is USB2. The iMac is estimating over six hours. That's OK. I've got time.

Haven't gotten to the point where I can see which OS it is.

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 11:58AM by mrlynn.
Date: December 01, 2017 04:53PM
The OS on this iMac is Sierra, 10.12.4.

The serial number seems OK with Apple. The warranty check says Telephone Support has 'expired', but I contacted Support via Chat and was told it should be the customary 90 days. Hope I don't need it!

Migration of everything from clone went well, and now I'm basically working on my old iMac, but faster, with sharper graphics, and a newer OS.

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 05:41PM by mrlynn.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 170
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015