Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
tracing iPhone that may have been stolen
Posted by: dmag
Date: November 29, 2017 03:17PM
Hi,

A relative gave my son her iPhone 5 when she recently upgraded. While we took her Apple ID off the phone, we never got a chance to get it added to our cellphone account or Apple ID...it has been lost or stolen. We suspect the latter.

My question...

Since we removed her Apple ID from the phone and her Apple account, is that game over? Or, would we be able to re-enter that into her Apple account, or get the serial number or device ID and track that way?

I'm not coming up with anything that seems to fit this situation in searches, so figured I'd try you guys.

Thanks for the read.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: tracing iPhone that may have been stolen
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 29, 2017 04:14PM
To remove her account from the phone, you had to turn off Find My iPhone. It sounds like you didn't turn it back on. You're screwed but possibly your relative could ask her carrier if they can lock and deactivate the phone.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 04:14PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 29, 2017 04:18PM
If you never entered a new AppleID on the phone, and you never activated it with a carrier, then I think you're screwed.

Ten seconds logging in to an AppleID and turning on Find my iPhone and you could have found it, or done a remote wipe.
But as it is, the thief got "gold"... a phone that was not tied to a carrier, and didn't have an AppleID.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Carm
Date: November 29, 2017 04:20PM
The only thing you can do is get the IME from your relative and get it blacklisted.
Date: November 29, 2017 04:31PM
Thanks guys, good info. I'll write it off as a "teaching moment."

I'll pick up something else for him.

Appreciate the help.
Date: November 29, 2017 04:34PM
Speedy
To remove her account from the phone, you had to turn off Find My iPhone. It sounds like you didn't turn it back on. You're screwed but possibly your relative could ask her carrier if they can lock and deactivate the phone.

She lives in a different city. Is that still possible?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 29, 2017 05:06PM
dmag
Speedy

She lives in a different city. Is that still possible?

"we never got a chance to get it added to our cellphone account or Apple ID...it has been lost or stolen."

If you never moved the phone from the relatives account to yours, then the relative should be able to get their carrier to blacklist it. As far as the relative's carrier knows, they 'lost' the phone no matter that they are in a different part of the country.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 29, 2017 05:09PM
Speedy
If you never moved the phone from the relatives account to yours, then the relative should be able to get their carrier to blacklist it. As far as the relative's carrier knows, they 'lost' the phone no matter that they are in a different part of the country.

Thanks!
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 29, 2017 07:14PM
The relative upgraded to a newer iPhone, and unless the iP5 is still tied to the original carrier, blacklisting may not be that valuable. If that puppy was unlocked, as Paul says, it's gold. But even if it's carrier locked, all blacklisting is gonna do is make it a little bit harder for a hacker to unlock it... and then it's still only an aging iP5. I'm hoping you find it under a sofa cushion, or in the laundry hamper, or some other innocuous place and can use it after all.
==
Date: November 29, 2017 07:21PM
Thanks, Buzz.

I'm hoping for the same.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 29, 2017 07:55PM
iPhone 5 are getting old... 5 year old. My wife's iPhone 5 went to my son, my old iPhone 5 with swollen battery (which I replaced) has loose screen again, I need to open it and find out if it is the battery again, or some other defect in the screen clips.
Posted by: ADent
Date: November 30, 2017 06:30PM
As a regular person you are SOL.

But if you knew a cop who was interested they could contact the major carriers and access the law enforcement portal and track it down.

Apple, the phone carrier, web advertisers (ie Google), and many apps know exactly where that phone is - if it is turned on. Most won't tell.
Some have a hard time tying that info to you (though apps like Pandora that require a log in wouldn't have a hard time).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 164
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020