advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RUN YOU FOOLS! American Airlines computer glitch gave too many pilots Christmas off
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 29, 2017 03:29PM
[www.bloomberg.com]

American Airlines Group Inc. is rushing to resolve a scheduling fault that gave time off to too many pilots in December -- a flaw that has left more than 15,000 flights without sufficient crew during the holiday rush, according to a union for the carrier’s pilots.

The Allied Pilots Association estimated the number of affected flights, from Dec. 17 to Dec. 31, based on information provided by the carrier, said Dennis Tajer, a spokesman for the union. American spokesman Matt Miller declined to quantify the potential number of flights involved, saying the airline expects to correct the problem and avoid cancellations.

“We are working through this to make sure we take care of our pilots and get our customers to where they need to go over the holidays,” Miller said.

The computer-system problem will force American to rebuild its staffing schedule, similar to what airlines must do after major weather disruptions, said John Cox, chief executive officer of consultant Safety Operating Systems and a former commercial airline pilot. Revenue will take a hit if American has to scrub many flights. At a minimum, the carrier is likely to face higher labor costs just as investors are stepping up scrutiny of airline expenses.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RUN YOU FOOLS! American Airlines computer glitch gave too many pilots Christmas off
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 29, 2017 03:52PM
As long as Rudolph is on the job, it's all good.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 03:53PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Re: RUN YOU FOOLS! American Airlines computer glitch gave too many pilots Christmas off
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 29, 2017 05:20PM
"Let's make self driving cars", they said. "The cars will be perfectly safe as software engineers never make mistakes", they said.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 29, 2017 08:28PM
M A V I C
"Let's make self driving cars", they said. "The cars will be perfectly safe as software engineers never make mistakes", they said.

I would rather have self driving cars with a software bug here and there that can be patched, than 90 year old legally blind drivers, people under influence, or people texting while driving, since there is not much we can do against these people.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 29, 2017 09:16PM
space-time
M A V I C

I would rather have self driving cars with a software bug here and there that can be patched, than 90 year old legally blind drivers, people under influence, or people texting while driving, since there is not much we can do against these people.

If I have control over the car, I can do many things. If a software engineer has control, we just hope he got it right. And when we can tell he didn't, there's nothing we can do.

And 90 year old legally blind drivers will still be a thing in our lifetimes.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 29, 2017 09:48PM
M A V I C
space-time
M A V I C

If I have control over the car, I can do many things. If a software engineer has control, we just hope he got it right. And when we can tell he didn't, there's nothing we can do.

And 90 year old legally blind drivers will still be a thing in our lifetimes.

and so will be drunk drivers, texters, and so on. Nothing is perfect.

How about self driving car with manual override?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 09:48PM by space-time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020