advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Man Tries To Pay Ticket With Pennies, Gets Choked By Guard And Defecates Self: Attorney
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 29, 2017 04:18PM
What a world we live in. RollingEyesSmiley5

From what I see in the video, the Guards seem to have provoked this incident. Of course, we can't hear what was exchanged, but this seems a bit excessive.

What do you think?

[www.fox2detroit.com]

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Man Tries To Pay Ticket With Pennies, Gets Choked By Guard And Defecates Self: Attorney
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 29, 2017 04:20PM
Rick-o
What do you think?

I would have gone with "A penny for your thoughts." devil smiley

It is what it is.
Re: Man Tries To Pay Ticket With Pennies, Gets Choked By Guard And Defecates Self: Attorney
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 29, 2017 04:27PM
He's lucky they didn't shoot him on the spot.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 29, 2017 04:29PM
This story stinks.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 29, 2017 04:35PM
What can brown do for you?
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: November 29, 2017 04:48PM
Pennies and defecation

Posted by: pdq
Date: November 29, 2017 05:17PM
Aren't pennies still legal tender?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 29, 2017 05:23PM
Maybe he can find a lawyer who takes pennies.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 29, 2017 05:56PM
pdq

Yes, but that does not require anyone to accept them, especially in bulk. There have been a number of court rulings on this, basically they all cite things like "reasonable amount". So you can expect a small amount of pennies to be acceptable, but someone showing up with hundreds or thousands of pennies has not reasonable expectation they will be taken.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: November 29, 2017 06:33PM
The video doesn't tell enough of the story. As Mr. Pennywise out, they are passing behind a wall when the altercation starts. The guard may have been justifiably provoked. Unless there are more camera angles, it's Penny's word against the guard, and Penny's earlier jerk behavior doesn't help his case.

Date: November 29, 2017 07:17PM
Uncle Wig
The video doesn't tell enough of the story. As Mr. Pennywise out, they are passing behind a wall when the altercation starts. The guard may have been justifiably provoked. Unless there are more camera angles, it's Penny's word against the guard, and Penny's earlier jerk behavior doesn't help his case.

Are you saying that is where chit hit the pants?

Posted by: bfd
Date: November 29, 2017 07:32PM
Dropping that deuce was a stroke of genius. The guy should collect 7 figures if it ever gets to a jury.
Posted by: chopper
Date: November 29, 2017 08:18PM
A minor point on a stupid and tasteless post but doesn't everyone self-defecate?
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: November 29, 2017 08:35PM
pdq

The language on a bill, "Legal tender for all debts public and private" applies only to debts to a creditor (and there's no such writing on a penny, but the same law applies making it legal tender for the same purposes).

It's not necessarily legal tender for other kinds of debts and so long as the policy is applied uniformly without discriminatory purpose or effect, a business or government office is free to refuse it.

Posted by: Michael
Date: November 29, 2017 10:34PM
It was a $10 fine, so apparently 20 rolls of 50 pennies. If some silly guy wants to do that, the court should just let it happen. If I was sitting on a jury I'd likely find that 1000 pennies isn't excessive. Now if it was a $1000 fine payed with pennies that would perhaps be a different story.

In a general sense I think that the people we allow to carry guns and enforce the laws should be trained to the point that don't manhandle a citizen over this kind of thing. And then throwing him in jail and charging him. I think this is going to cost that municipality or their insurance company some money.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 29, 2017 11:29PM
Michael
It was a $10 fine, so apparently 20 rolls of 50 pennies. If some silly guy wants to do that, the court should just let it happen. If I was sitting on a jury I'd likely find that 1000 pennies isn't excessive. Now if it was a $1000 fine payed with pennies that would perhaps be a different story.

In a general sense I think that the people we allow to carry guns and enforce the laws should be trained to the point that don't manhandle a citizen over this kind of thing. And then throwing him in jail and charging him. I think this is going to cost that municipality or their insurance company some money.

Any payout will be quite reduced because he pleaded guilty. He needed an attorney from the minute they gave him his one telephone call at booking.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: November 30, 2017 10:18AM
If he sues and wins, how many pennies will they pay him with? Lol
Date: November 30, 2017 10:46AM
Apparently he is a penny pincher.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 30, 2017 08:21PM
I learned in college you can't pay a parking ticket with pennies. I went with my girlfriend and a room mate to a bank and got something like $60. Several bags worth.

The guy at the impound yard cursed me. I called the police, who said coins were not legal tender and that the impound did not have to accept them.

Not fun, but I didn't take a dump on him either.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 01, 2017 08:42AM
....penny for his thoughts.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015