Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
School me on Digitizing Super 8 Movies
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: November 29, 2017 08:52PM
Hi,

I am looking at digitizing old home movies. Super 8.
Has anyone done this themselves?

I found these two devices from Wolverine Data available from B&H, Amazon Etc.
The reviews seem decent for the cost of the machines…
I am unsure about which unit is better:

The Movie Maker Pro does 1080p at 20fps
$399.00

The Movie Reels2Digital does 720p at 30fps
$259.00

Isn't fps better as a higher number?

Costco wants about $475 to make DVD's
Local company wants $15 per 3" reel plus $30 set up.
I have 67 3" reels and a couple of bigger ones. They will put on a supplied HDD for you instead of generic DVD's

I am a little leery of sending these off to Costco.
I would rather bring these into iMovie and edit them myself, adding music etc.

Any insights from the forum?

Thanks,

Steve
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: School me on Digitizing Super 8 Movies
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: November 29, 2017 09:06PM
We set up a projector in front of a white wall and pointed a video camera at the wall.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 29, 2017 09:28PM
Find out what kind of gear the local place uses. If they are using the same devices you can buy for $300 just do it yourself. If they are using several thousand dollar rigs, it would be worth paying for them to do it.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: stephen
Date: November 29, 2017 10:44PM
I am hot on the case of this.

I bought the cheaper Reels2Digital (720p at 30fps) last week.

I digitized maybe 20 movies over Thanksgiving weekend and brought the others home to do maybe 30 more before Christmas. I was pleased with the results. It digitizes at two frames per second, so be prepared to set it up and then go watch tv or get some coffee for a while.

You will need to slow the finished movies down to 56% in iMovie to match their original speed, (original movies were approximately 16 fps) but it was an easy exercise and I am pleased with the results.

I paid $299 last week so $259 is a very good price. You need an SD card 32 gigs or smaller.

I'm sure the more expensive one might be slightly better, but if I were going for serious high end quality on something, I would still outsource to a professional telecine place. I might still do that for one or two movies, but for basic family enjoyment, I thought the quality of these memories was great.

I am traveling on business and don't have the files with me or otherwise I would share one.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 29, 2017 11:24PM
Great reply!

stephen

I digitized maybe 20 movies over Thanksgiving weekend and brought the others home to do maybe 30 more before Christmas. I was pleased with the results. It digitizes at two frames per second, so be prepared to set it up and then go watch tv or get some coffee for a while.

You will need to slow the finished movies down to 56% in iMovie to match their original speed, (original movies were approximately 16 fps) but it was an easy exercise and I am pleased with the results.

I paid $299 last week so $259 is a very good price. You need an SD card 32 gigs or smaller.

I'm sure the more expensive one might be slightly better, but if I were going for serious high end quality on something, I would still outsource to a professional telecine place. I might still do that for one or two movies, but for basic family enjoyment, I thought the quality of these memories was great.

I am traveling on business and don't have the files with me or otherwise I would share one.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 29, 2017 11:29PM
Speedy
Great reply!

stephen

Yes, very good info.

stephen, would you consider renting it out?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: November 30, 2017 06:23AM
Are movies that were shot on Super 8 actually high enough quality that 720p vs 1080p makes any difference?

I went the route of aiming the projector at a white wall (and then later the screen that we'd had in the 70s, which I didn't initially have access to), and then filmed with my MiniDV camcorder (this was over 10 years ago). The main downside to doing it this way was that the MiniDV records at 30 fps, and the projector displayed at a different speed, so there was a bit of "strobing" (like a bit of a flash). Not really horrible, but at the same time, it would have been nice to not have it.

I also recorded audio, even though the films were silent. So the audio track is the sound of the movie projector, which in my opinion, was a hallmark of family movie time.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 30, 2017 07:51AM
Ha, good one, UnD!
Posted by: rz
Date: November 30, 2017 08:13AM
Onamuji
We set up a projector in front of a white wall and pointed a video camera at the wall.

That's what my in-laws did with all of theirs. They got my wife and her sister together and added "commentary".
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 30, 2017 08:35AM
....that's......Super.......

...................Duper....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: November 30, 2017 11:22AM
Thanks for the insight.
I think I will go with the Reels2Digital.

Steve

stephen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 354
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018