advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Willing to pay $34.50 for 10 miles of driving? Virginia has a road for you!
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 05, 2017 01:42PM
Looks like carpooling still has benefits though, still free.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

New toll lanes kicked off Monday morning along a 10-mile stretch of Interstate 66 in Northern Virginia. At first blush, the rates seemed rather high.

The estimated toll for one-way travel from the Beltway to Washington before 8 a.m. was $28.50. About 8:40 a.m., the toll was $34.50.

The rates are variable depending on traffic conditions. Officials with Virginia’s Department of Transportation said the $34.50 rate was the “peak of the peak rate.”

“It is a dynamic toll,” said Jenny McCord, a spokeswoman for VDOT. “It will vary and fluctuate based on the demand.” Other times, she noted, the toll was in the low $20s. The toll changes every six minutes.

The new toll lanes run from Route 29 in Rosslyn to Interstate 495. They are meant to help alleviate traffic along one of the most congested roadways in the region.

Tolls kicked in for the afternoon rush at 3 p.m. Monday. Rates were lower than the morning commute, with westbound I-66 drivers paying $6.25 to travel from Washington to the Beltway at 4:15 p.m.

The new toll lanes are similar to those found on 495 and the 95 Express Lanes. Solo drivers can use the new HOT lanes — high occupancy toll lanes — during rush hours as long as they’re willing to pay the toll.

Previously, there were HOV restrictions that limited the use of that section of I-66 during rush hour to vehicles with two or more people and drivers of hybrid vehicles with special clean-fuel license plates.

There is no cap on the toll pricing. The price changes as congestion rises and decrease as congestion is less. The hours of the toll lanes are from 5:30 to 9:30 a.m. eastbound and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. westbound, Monday through Friday. The lanes are free to all drivers during off-peak hours and weekends.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Willing to pay $34.50 for 10 miles of driving? Virginia has a road for you!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 05, 2017 01:57PM
Sounds like the Toronto 407 coupled with some dumb MBA's idea.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 05, 2017 02:12PM
You can write it off against your business. Oh, you're an average citizen? You don't get to ride in the royal lanes. Similar philosophy to the end of net neutrality. (You lose, peasants).
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 05, 2017 02:19PM
Carpools will not be charged and these higher tools are only enacted during certain rush hour time blocks. The rest of the time anyone can use the lanes. These tolls are for single drivers who used to not be able to use this 66 at all during rush hour. The toll is supposed to help pay for expansion to the highway.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 05, 2017 02:20PM
Steve G.
You can write it off against your business. Oh, you're an average citizen? You don't get to ride in the royal lanes. Similar philosophy to the end of net neutrality. (You lose, peasants).

agree smiley
$$$ Pay-to-play $$$
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 05, 2017 02:21PM
pRICE cUBE
The toll is supposed to help pay for expansion to the highway.

Sure, it's always for 'retiring the bond issue' and 'new construction'...to bad that was all paid off 50 years ago.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 05, 2017 02:28PM
Sounds similar to London's Congestion Tax/fee. They charge 11.50pounds/day to drive a vehicle into London. Don't think you want to pay? Think again. "From 20 May 2013 failure to pay results in the issuance of a Penalty Charge Notice for £130, reduced to £65 if paid within 14 days, but increased to £195 if unpaid after 28 days." You could never get away with a congestion fee in the US, but a toll road, that's easy.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 05, 2017 02:58PM
that's comparable to Seattle's I-520 floating bridge toll. You hit it at peak, and factor in that the road in Virginia is about 5 times longer, and the cost is about the same.
Posted by: numbered
Date: December 05, 2017 03:23PM
There are lots of places in the US where key roads are completely plugged. There is no place to build more roads. We use money to ration lots of things.

What is the option? You can pick congestion pricing, plugged roadways, or some kind of license plate lottery. Each has fairness issues and efficiency issues.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 05, 2017 04:17PM
"There is no place to build more roads."

That's one of the main reasons why Elon founded The Boring Company.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 05, 2017 05:20PM
We have been adding a few congestion-dynamic-pricing lanes here in MN. I went to one of the DOT's open houses and talked to the guy. He said these things only carry their own weight out East (he said Washington DC). He told me that the charges the market will bear around here in flatland (I think the max I've ever seen is $1.25) barely cover the cost of the implementation (the transponders, etc) and don't make enough to cover any of the ongoing costs (enforcement, collection, etc).

So, around here, we pay extra tax dollars just for the privilege of having a toll road.

cursing smiley

That said, they've done a pretty good job of making it as unobtrusive as possible. They only charge during rush hour going that way, and it's still free for buses (obviously), "car pools" of 2 or more, and motorcycles (?). Not as convenient, cost-effective, or egalitarian as, say, another non-toll lane, but CEO's must not be slowed down by the hoi-polloi, you know. (And to be fair, it encourages carpooling, busing, and...umm...motorcycle driving (?))

During the public comment part, I thanked the DOT guy for showing up, but I told him I thought it was silly to have a toll road that loses money...but I really didn't want traffic to get so bad that they could raise the tolls enough to make money!

Just raise the damn gas tax enough to fund adequate transportation options for all, m'kay?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2017 05:31PM by pdq.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 05, 2017 05:23PM
Our entire strategy of moving vehicles instead of people is an epic failure. It is utterly impossible to create a highway system designed to be capable of handling any peak load. Electric vehicles are not the answer. Improving mass transit is.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 05, 2017 06:27PM
freeradical
Electric vehicles are not the answer. Improving mass transit is.

Good luck with that. There are some monumental culture shifts that would have to happen to get people that normally use cars to even consider stepping foot on mass transit.

My big three that would need to be improved would be: Timeliness, Comfort, and Cleanliness. Problem with mass transit is that it is public transit. Because of that you can't have #1, #2, or #3 because there are people that are the reason we can't have nice things and they have to be allowed on the bus too.

Don't get me started on what happens when a company decides they want to offer improved mass transit for their employees: [en.wikipedia.org]

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Bernie
Date: December 05, 2017 06:31PM
Labor force cannot afford to live where they work.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 05, 2017 06:40PM
Europe makes mass transit work. Its timely, comfortable and clean. (Europe makes a lot of things work that are "impossible" according to Americans, but I digress.) Of course, I'm not talking trying to connect Iowa to Idaho. But certainly the northeast east coast is dense enough to have the mass transit options Europe has. We just think we can't do because of our "culture?" Bah. Let's put on our big boy pants and work this out.
Date: December 05, 2017 06:48PM
C(-)ris
freeradical
Electric vehicles are not the answer. Improving mass transit is.

Good luck with that. There are some monumental culture shifts that would have to happen to get people that normally use cars to even consider stepping foot on mass transit.

My big three that would need to be improved would be: Timeliness, Comfort, and Cleanliness. Problem with mass transit is that it is public transit. Because of that you can't have #1, #2, or #3 because there are people that are the reason we can't have nice things and they have to be allowed on the bus too.

Don't get me started on what happens when a company decides they want to offer improved mass transit for their employees: [en.wikipedia.org]

wierd. No protests or backlash at all for the M$ or Amazon busses/shuttles swarming the Seattle and Redmond areas.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: December 05, 2017 07:46PM
I live in No Va and today it topped $40. Crazy!
From The Washington Post:
Virginia Transportation Secretary Aubrey Layne acknowledged Tuesday that the tolls are higher than many anticipated, but he said that there is nothing unfair about the new system, that it is working as intended. The state’s goal, he said, is to move more people, not more vehicles, through the busy corridor. And, the state is betting that variable tolls are the tool to change commuter behavior.
“No one has to pay a toll,” Layne said.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]
Date: December 05, 2017 08:06PM
In Seattle, people just drive around the lake on surface roads, or go south to the mid-lake I-90 bridge, which has no toll.

Idiots.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: December 05, 2017 09:25PM
Garmin has a feature, no tolls.

Why would anyone in their right mind go to DC?

Because they have never been there.

Metro the first chance.

Vienna/Fairfax

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: richorlin
Date: December 05, 2017 09:37PM
Bernie
Why would anyone in their right mind go to DC?

...because they work there and Metro is not an option

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2017 09:38PM by richorlin.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 06, 2017 08:01AM
Acer
Europe makes mass transit work. Its timely, comfortable and clean. (Europe makes a lot of things work that are "impossible" according to Americans, but I digress.) Of course, I'm not talking trying to connect Iowa to Idaho. But certainly the northeast east coast is dense enough to have the mass transit options Europe has. We just think we can't do because of our "culture?" Bah. Let's put on our big boy pants and work this out.

I agree. Europeans have great mass transit systems. But Asia and Latin America do, too.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 06, 2017 08:22AM
Bernie
Labor force cannot afford to live where they work.

That, and/or the school system there is not adequate, but that's another thread.

I would love for my spouse and I to be able to walk or bike to work everyday, but as of now our jobs are too far apart to make that possible. I theory one of us could, but then the other would not.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015