advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
what kind of scam is this?
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 05, 2017 03:30PM
A few months ago I got a call from someone who wanted to send me some "topical cream" which was a benefit of my health insurance plan, and when I asked what is my insurance, they hanged up.

Today I got another call, this time it was on Google Voice number (a number that I use only for Craigslist or sometimes when asking for a quotation from a dealer). I decided to take the call, it was the same thing, and she said she wanted to verify information.

Name: correct
Address: correct (this is public info)
DOB: correct. At this point, I decided to tell her this info is not correct. she asked what is the DOB. Instead of giving her a bogus DOB, I asked her where she got that "wrong info". She hanged up.

My guess is she wanted to verify as much info as possible, then ask me to pay some small S&H fee. Of course she would use the CC number to make bogus changes. Or perhaps these people want to make sure info is correct and then Apply for credit cards. I do have a credit freeze in effect. I also check my credit report periodically.

So what kind of scam is this after all?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: what kind of scam is this?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 05, 2017 03:43PM
The kind used to prey on the gullible. Obviously it works often enough or they would quit doing it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 05, 2017 03:52PM
My mom fell for that about 20 years ago - it wasn't for a free thingie, but the idea is the same. They are trying to get you info to steal you ID. ie open new accounts in your name.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 05, 2017 04:21PM
Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 05, 2017 04:43PM
My biggest fear is that my first girlfriend, the first woman I kissed, the first...ex-girlfriend...knows the answer to many security questions about me because so many places ask what is the name of your first boy/girlfriend or the name of the first person you kissed. Assuming she knows her own name still, that means that there is a woman out there who holds a special cold place in her heart for me, who could guess 1 or more of the answers to my security questions...

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: December 05, 2017 04:56PM
z: may I suggest you use answers that are less than truthful? Say, 'dingbat' or 'mistake' or '@#$%&'.

The site login software does not care whether the 'answer' matches the 'question', only that the answer you give when challenged matches the 'answer' the site has stored.

=TC
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 05, 2017 05:23PM
TheCaber
z: may I suggest you use answers that are less than truthful? Say, 'dingbat' or 'mistake' or '@#$%&'.

The site login software does not care whether the 'answer' matches the 'question', only that the answer you give when challenged matches the 'answer' the site has stored.

I've thought about that, but that presents issues as well. If I use the same answer regardless of the question it makes things easy for me, but easy for hackers, assuming that they are able to get that one answer. If I use different answers, but the same 3 answers for every site that asks 3 questions The same issue remains if my information is compromised, but there are also places that randomize the questions so I'd need to know which is 1, 2, and 3 respectively. It comes down to having a notebook with all the usernames, passwords, and security questions stored in it. At that point, is it really more or less secure?

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: December 05, 2017 05:30PM
I agree, it is a conundrum. Where can one keep one's cookies safe and yet accessible? Some days, I just go with the Cookie Monster. Nom Nom Nom.

=TC
Date: December 05, 2017 05:44PM
At that point, is it really more or less secure?

1Password has a notes filed where I enter these bogus answers. They are different for each site.
Date: December 05, 2017 05:44PM
ztirffritz
My biggest fear is that my first girlfriend, the first woman I kissed, the first...ex-girlfriend...knows the answer to many security questions about me because so many places ask what is the name of your first boy/girlfriend or the name of the first person you kissed. Assuming she knows her own name still, that means that there is a woman out there who holds a special cold place in her heart for me, who could guess 1 or more of the answers to my security questions...

You should never tell them they are the first one you kiss (or have sex with). They should be under the impression that you done that before.
Date: December 05, 2017 05:45PM
or start kissing at very young age that you don't even remember who was the first one smiling smiley
Posted by: chopper
Date: December 05, 2017 06:15PM
Your day to day saga of consumer complaints and observations is why I no longer answer my land line phone. It's a phone booth now--outside line only.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 05, 2017 06:16PM
I dumped our landline cause these were the only calls we ever got.

Not a number I know = doesnt get answered. If its CL or a dealer, they will leave a message. If they dont = not important anyway.

You need to verify *my* information = scam. 110% of the time.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 05, 2017 07:04PM
I never get these on landline.
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 05, 2017 07:25PM
I happened to be home one day last week when the "land line" rang. Out of curiosity, I decided to answer.

Me: "What."
Her: "Can you hear me okay?"
Me: (a beat pause until it dawned on me) "No. Bye." (hang up)

That was another ten seconds of my life I won't get back.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: December 06, 2017 03:23PM
We are dependent upon our DSL landline. But we don’t pick up calls from unknown numbers. If it’s important, they will leave a message.

Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." Jim Hightower
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 06, 2017 07:42PM
Ammo
We are dependent upon our DSL landline. But we don’t pick up calls from unknown numbers. If it’s important, they will leave a message.

This. Told my wife to do the same when we got married. I only answer if it's my inlaws. Running joke when the phone rings is "honey it's for you" as it continues to ring two more times. Four rings and the answering machine gets it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 66
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015