advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Portable, wireless hard drives
Posted by: DRR
Date: December 05, 2017 05:20PM
Hello old friends. I have a question about wireless, portable hard drives. More specifically, this one from WD:

[www.wdc.com]

From what I understand, I can be out in the field, connect to this device via an ad-hoc wifi network, and be able to transfer files from a PC or Mac over wireless, to either the device's internal storage, or the device's SD card. Is this correct?

Does anyone here have one? I need to do further research online but also wanted to solicit some initial responses from you cranky MRFers.

Thank you and be well.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Portable, wireless hard drives
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 05, 2017 05:33PM
Can you just use dropbox? Free... and access from anywhere on any device, including iDevices.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 05, 2017 05:51PM
I have a MiFi hotspot from FreedomPop that has a MicroSD slot that makes it effectively a portable wireless hard drive and wireless hotspot at the same time.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: December 05, 2017 06:30PM
jdc, I think the issue is that there's potentially no wi-fi/cellular where DRR is, so he/she couldn't connect to Dropbox. Whereas with what she's describing, the hard drive, itself, can create a wi-fi network to which his/her PC/Mac can connect, and then transfer files.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: DRR
Date: December 05, 2017 06:31PM
The UnDoug
jdc, I think the issue is that there's potentially no wi-fi/cellular where DRR is, so he/she couldn't connect to Dropbox. Whereas with what she's describing, the hard drive, itself, can create a wi-fi network to which his/her PC/Mac can connect, and then transfer files.

Correct, no network connectivity to the outside world!
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 05, 2017 07:15PM
The UnDoug

Ahh, I see now.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 05, 2017 11:29PM
My understanding is that these will connect directly, via wifi to any wifi enabled device, so you can use them to expand your phone storage as well!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: datbeme
Date: December 07, 2017 10:12AM
Hmm. This does look pretty cool. Especially the 4TB which is the best bang for the buck at ~$189.

The way I see it, most of these are going for $60-90 more than the a comparable USB 3 portable drive alone (which you can never have enough of), so if the capability may be useful to you, it's not a huge risk to give one a try.

I picked up a Sandisk USB Connect (256GB for $99) a month or so ago, and it offers some similar but less ambitious features. I haven't used it a ton, but I've been impressed with it so far. It' just a USB stick, so it's even more portable and convenient, but it obviously has less capacity and no SD slot.

You mention saving to the SD card. While that may be possible, you should try to verify that first if it's important to you. I think the primary intent is to be able to offload your photos and videos from your card in the field.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 121
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015