advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any members here in danger from the So Cal Fires??
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: December 05, 2017 05:25PM
Currently 5 large fires burning around So Cal with 0 percent containment and several more days of high winds predicted. Is anyone here directly affected??

Thoughts and prayers go out to all in jeopardy!

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any members here in danger from the So Cal Fires??
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 05, 2017 06:05PM
Prayers indeed. That was a FAST moving fire.

I feel their pain. The Eagle Creek fire in Oregon was burning since 9/2/17. It was declared 100% contained earlier this week. All told more than 48,000 acres burned. A 15 year old boy has been charged with starting the fire through negligence with fireworks. The firefighting bill alone is more than $20,000,000.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 05, 2017 06:09PM
ztirffritz

I feel their pain. The Eagle Creek fire in Oregon was burning since 9/2/17. It was declared 100% contained earlier this week. All told more than 48,000 acres burned. A 15 year old boy has been charged with starting the fire through negligence with fireworks. The firefighting bill alone is more than $20,000,000.

The Ventura fire just did that in a day...
==
Posted by: chopper
Date: December 05, 2017 06:13PM
Rain then snow then dark of night. Awoke to Superman's Fortress of Solitude.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 05, 2017 06:19PM
Not close to me yet but 4 co-workers left early today to evacuate their homes. Fingers crossed.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 05, 2017 06:31PM
Buzz
ztirffritz

==

I think you're off by a decimal point.

This is the largest fire currently listed active in CA, at 11,000 acres as of 40min ago:
[inciweb.nwcg.gov]

I believe that that's the fire near Ventura. I guess it's possible that there is another fire and no one has created an entry on inciweb for it yet, but that's unlikely. They usually create an entry as the first order of business.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 05, 2017 08:11PM
ztirffritz
Buzz
ztirffritz

==

I think you're off by a decimal point.

This is the largest fire currently listed active in CA, at 11,000 acres as of 40min ago:
[inciweb.nwcg.gov]

I believe that that's the fire near Ventura. I guess it's possible that there is another fire and no one has created an entry on inciweb for it yet, but that's unlikely. They usually create an entry as the first order of business.

L.A. Times is reporting the Ventura fire at 50,000 acres currently: [beta.latimes.com]

The link you provided above is for the fire near Sylmar, which is MUCH smaller than the Ventura fire.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2017 08:12PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 05, 2017 08:27PM
Here is a good resource: [www.fire.ca.gov]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 05, 2017 08:28PM
50,000+ acres in 19 hours z, as NOSX says, no decimal error..., it's damn tough to breathe around here today all over LA. Schools and businesses had to close because of poor air quality. Baby Buzz's GF's family had to vacate. Thousands of firefighters from wherever they can get 'em are doing their best to contain these fast moving fires. Again, it's December, and white xmas is supposed to be falling snow, not falling ashes.
==
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: December 05, 2017 08:36PM
Yeah, it was reported as 200 acres at 8:30 pm, 12 miles east of my house. When we left at 1:30 am, it had stretched to go a couple miles west of my house.
Posted by: Shakes
Date: December 05, 2017 08:37PM
I'm just blocks from the evacuation area in the La Crescenta area of the Creek Fire. Got the cars packed just in case.

Shakes
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: December 05, 2017 09:00PM
Make a video tour of your house just in case

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2017 09:00PM by Mike Johnson.
Posted by: Shakes
Date: December 05, 2017 09:11PM
Actually did that with the fire that came close a few months ago. Thx!

Shakes
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 05, 2017 10:29PM
…and the Santa Ana winds are expected to return with a vengeance on Thursday. Dangerous times down in the far southwest corner of California. All it takes is a spark. Stay safe.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 06, 2017 12:00AM
I read the the fire in Nor Cal was started by a 15 year old with fireworks. Ugh.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: samintx
Date: December 06, 2017 05:21AM
Prayers going to all in Southern CA in the fires. Since one of my daughers lost everything in the Sonoma fire in Oct. I have a real soft spot in my heart for the fire losses.

She can't get back to normal till the EPA comes out and the Corps of Engineers clears the site. Long haul for fire victims.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 06, 2017 06:03AM
Wow, my prayers for y'all there! I love California. Sad to hear so many people affected by this, plus water shortages. smiley-signs003 Well, more than good luck, but Phorum doesn't have praying emoji.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 06, 2017 11:52AM
Helped a friend evacuate her mini car collection yesterday from the Sylmar Creek Fire. Had to drive several miles out of my way to get in as they had just started closing the roads. Left my car there, but by the time we got out, we couldn't get back in, so we're still waiting to find out if her house and my car will survive...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015