AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is LA burning?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 06, 2017 10:53AM
Yes.
So Cal fires spreading.
News at everywhere 24/7.
405 closed between 101 and 10... one of the most traveled freeways anywhere; out of commission. Lotsa people gonna miss work. More schools closed. Bel Air evacuated, Brentwood next.
Too much rain last year, not enough this year.
Gotta get some sort of control before the winds kick up again tonight.
Yikes!
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is LA burning?
Posted by: DP
Date: December 06, 2017 11:40AM
Stay safe and keep us posted!

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 06, 2017 12:51PM
Bel Air will be tough to evacuate - there are only a few roads in/out.

I've been involved with a construction project up there for a new house compound we estimate to be worth about a quarter of a billion dollars. It's pretty darn close to the edge of the fire zone - it would be a shame if it burned down before it was completed.

EDIT: BTW, the entirety of Bel Air officially lies directly east of the 405 freeway. The fire burning on the west side of the 405 is technically not in Bel Air proper.

[www.google.com]

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 12:56PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 06, 2017 02:18PM
Yeah, if the fire gets in the hills, it's going to be rough times for the Angelitos… good luck. The winds are supposed to intensify again tomorrow. Ugh.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 06, 2017 02:46PM
Hoping for rain down there!

Maybe it's time to start building fireproof concrete bunkers rather than wood houses? (only half kidding...).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Winston
Date: December 06, 2017 03:31PM
I've stayed in Brentwood a couple of times (Brentwood Inn, an upgraded motel). A friend of ours is the principal of a girls' school there, the Archer School. Hoping they don't have any problems.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 06, 2017 03:56PM
......wow, seems like spreading fast.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: December 06, 2017 04:13PM
Paul F.

Maybe it's time to start building fireproof concrete bunkers rather than wood houses? (only half kidding...).

I saw images of an isolated ranch house burning - with a tile roof. I have no idea how it can even catch fire...
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 06, 2017 04:24PM
hal
Paul F.

I saw images of an isolated ranch house burning - with a tile roof. I have no idea how it can even catch fire...

Wood underlay on the roof, wood fashia boards, wood walls with a thin veneer of cementboard or stucco. We focus on cost effectiveness and longevity of structures, and ease of building... not being fireproof.
I have no idea if it's even remotely cost effective to TRY to build one fire-proof... but if I lived in one of the common fire zones, I think I'd investigate the possibility!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: December 06, 2017 04:50PM
[www.fire.ca.gov]

Click on the red "fire" images for current info on each fire.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 04:53PM by Harbourmaster.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 06, 2017 05:55PM
Paul F.

Those are called ovens. You might want to read up on the Dresden Firestorm. Many victims were found cooked alive inside concrete bomb shelters.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 59
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015