advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone have a Mini Cooper
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 06, 2017 01:33PM
I have been trying to think what my next car might be and I like the look and size of the Mini Cooper.
I am wondering about the reliability and repair costs. If anyone has one I would like to hear your thoughts.
Also, I am not sure which version of the Mini I would want.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone have a Mini Cooper
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 06, 2017 01:59PM
My best friend purchased one. Gas mileage was really pretty good, but not as good as my Volt. I think he was able to get in the high 30s or low 40s. He seemed to encounter quite a few strange maintenance issues though. He'd get weird error messages that required a visit to a BMW mechanic to decipher. Parts were in short supply, so they'd hold his car for a week or two sometimes. It is fun to drive and really sporty though. Personally, I'd avoid it because maintenance seemed to be so expensive, but that's just me.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: December 06, 2017 02:05PM
ztirffritz
My best friend purchased one. Gas mileage was really pretty good, but not as good as my Volt. I think he was able to get in the high 30s or low 40s. He seemed to encounter quite a few strange maintenance issues though. He'd get weird error messages that required a visit to a BMW mechanic to decipher. Parts were in short supply, so they'd hold his car for a week or two sometimes. It is fun to drive and really sporty though. Personally, I'd avoid it because maintenance seemed to be so expensive, but that's just me.

Yeah, I have no patience for a cranky auto, been there, done that.
I like that looks, but if it isn't dependable, then that is a deal breaker.

Posted by: pdq
Date: December 06, 2017 02:07PM
The reliability of the older ones sucked. The early manual transmissions were all under-spec'ed and basically all eventually fail. The early CVT automatic transmission had their own problems and failed too.

BMW (the maker) stonewalled the whole thing for years, and when your transmission failed it was a $4-6K repair, tough luck chuck. (My son's failed around 35K miles). They finally put in decent transmissions, and had to settle a couple of class-action suits (including evidence that they knew about but concealed the defects).

As far as I know, things are better now, but I personally would not/could not give them my money again after the way they screwed over the owners of early Minis.
Posted by: Don C
Date: December 06, 2017 02:09PM
I have a 2009 MINI Clubman with the small engine. The only significant problem was a water pump which was replaced under warranty; no other problems. Mini recommends high grade gas, but I run it on 89 and it seems to be fine. I don't know how it would fare using regular.

I like the car; my wife finds the seats to be not very comfortable so we use the car around town but not for longer trips (which was my intent when we bought it). I find it to be quite comfortable.
Date: December 06, 2017 02:10PM
I don't think that it's any less dependable, but where I live there aren't exactly a bunch of wealthy people driving BMWs, Mercedes, etc. So there aren'y many options for maintenance. I do know that one of the maintenance issues required shipping a part from Germany for his car and that took a while. It was covered under warranty I believe, but still he had to spend a long time without his car.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 06, 2017 02:12PM
.....you will also be able to do a major league heist.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: December 06, 2017 02:13PM
Ok, maybe I will start looking at other options.
I suspected that it might not be as dependable as the Japanese cars that I have had.

Posted by: archipirata
Date: December 06, 2017 02:34PM
I had a 2005 S Convertible, bought it new and had it for about 3 years. Never had a problem with it. Loved to drive it and I drove it like it was meant to be driven. Certainly didn't baby it. Loved the hypercharger. Probably the tightest engineered fit and finish vehicle I ever owned. The only downside was that it just wasn't practical for daily use. The back seat was too small for adults to actually use and I eventually traded it in on an SUV and keeping it as a third car just didn't make financial sense. Would love to have one again though.

Athens, OH
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 06, 2017 02:40PM
The Cooper Mini definitely has style.

I love my Golf Alltrack. The regular Golf is about the same size as the Mini. I think its way more fun than it deserves to be.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 06, 2017 02:42PM
Never had one, but from colleagues and friends I hear that it's basically a low rent BWM, which high rent BWM repair cost. But the turn signals usually do work.
Date: December 06, 2017 02:51PM
.....Hangin' with Mr. Cooper.....??

Posted by: fromish
Date: December 06, 2017 02:52PM
Next door neighbor has 2005 S with 92K miles. His last maintenance visit had the dealer tell him the supercharger was dying; replacement/repair cost 3K. That discouraged me-
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 06, 2017 02:58PM
My wife went to a concert with a friend in her's this last weekend.

Fortunately I was home and able to go get them when the cute little car broke down...
Date: December 06, 2017 02:59PM
....does it only fit.....Mini Me.....??

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 06, 2017 03:15PM
I seriously considered something along the lines of a MINI JCW All4, but it didn't have quite enough power.

One thing I heard several times from people trying to do upgrades on them, is that anything you couldn't complete just by opening the hood and reaching in, would take at least 2 hours extra of labor because damn near everything else required the front end to be disassembled for access.

The VW Golf R hatchback is only a little bigger than the MINI and got a Car & Driver 2018 Best Car award. I'm still not sure if long term reliability is all that great.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: decay
Date: December 06, 2017 03:16PM
A former co-worker's Mini caught fire on the freeway and was a total loss.

Another friend had wiring harness electrical problems that were difficult (i.e. expensive) to solve - don't know if they ever were.

Cool car, maybe best when new-ish.

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 03:17PM by decay.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 06, 2017 03:45PM
rgG
I suspected that it might not be as dependable as the Japanese cars that I have had.

Probably true. Take a look at the Mazda MX-5 RF.
Date: December 06, 2017 04:03PM
Article Accelerator
rgG

She just sold one, so I figured she would be looking for something different. Something else that fits small and light is the Honda CR-Z (hybrid) but it only has 2 seats.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: December 06, 2017 04:09PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Article Accelerator
rgG

She just sold one, so I figured she would be looking for something different. Something else that fits small and light is the Honda CR-Z (hybrid) but it only has 2 seats.

I was just looking at some of the other Mazda offerings, other than the MX-5. The CX-3 looks interesting.
This would be a replacement for my current Scion xB, if I decided to get a new car, at some point.
I want a hatchback style that is smaller and lower than an SUV, which I hate.

Posted by: numbered
Date: December 06, 2017 04:33PM
rgG

I hear that from lots of people. I am curious about what you hate? Just size? Looks?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 06, 2017 04:37PM
Have been very happy with both our Subaru Foresters (2009 and 2015 models); keep eyeballing the CrossTrek when I bring one in for this or that (2015 is still under the extended warranty, so it goes in for free oil change and a few other bonuses).

I like quirky cars, so I gravitate to the ones with a bit of a personality. Same boat as you re/liking the Cooper (especially the Clubman version). Ditto the Fiat and the 500L.

I loved my New Beetle (had two on company leases; a 2000 and then a 2003, which I made a little more special); it was fun to drive but had issues, most notably the electrical system. It was crap. Trunk would open on its own, etc.

Loved the Honda Element that replaced it. Was sorry Honda didn't continue that line and beef it up with AWD and a better engine.

Currently still driving the family van, a venerable 2013 Honda Odyssey, as my main car. Love it; love the ride, the versatility, the general comfort. But I still eyeball other rides occasionally. Even unobtainable ones.

Specific models for your search list: ;) [www.apple.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 04:39PM by Zoidberg.
Date: December 06, 2017 04:46PM
The Ford Focus ST has gotten a lot of good reviews for fun to drive, but it's a slightly bigger car than the VW Golf. The Ford Fiesta ST 4dr Hatchback is smaller than the Mazda 3 4dr Hatchback, and has quite a bit less cargo space as a result. Some other small cars in the compact/subcompact range are the Chevy Spark, Honda Fit, and Fiat 500 Abarth (smaller than the MINI but another with questionable long term reliability).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 06, 2017 04:53PM
Zoidberg
Have been very happy with both our Subaru Foresters (2009 and 2015 models); keep eyeballing the CrossTrek when I bring one in for this or that (2015 is still under the extended warranty, so it goes in for free oil change and a few other bonuses).

I like quirky cars, so I gravitate to the ones with a bit of a personality. Same boat as you re/liking the Cooper (especially the Clubman version). Ditto the Fiat and the 500L.

I loved my New Beetle (had two on company leases; a 2000 and then a 2003, which I made a little more special); it was fun to drive but had issues, most notably the electrical system. It was crap. Trunk would open on its own, etc.

Loved the Honda Element that replaced it. Was sorry Honda didn't continue that line and beef it up with AWD and a better engine.

Currently still driving the family van, a venerable 2013 Honda Odyssey, as my main car. Love it; love the ride, the versatility, the general comfort. But I still eyeball other rides occasionally. Even unobtainable ones.

Subaru quality went down hill on the current gen Foresters. They use the cheapest crap they can get away with on every part of the car and still charge a huge premium for it. My 2016 was the biggest POS I have ever owned. Lost a ton of money selling it after a year, but was happy to be rid of it.

The Outback seems nice, but the base model engine is way to small for a vehicle that big, the Crosstrek is just a raised Impreza with an inflated price tag.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: December 06, 2017 05:10PM
numbered
rgG

I hear that from lots of people. I am curious about what you hate? Just size? Looks?

Mostly the size. I have always liked driving a smaller car. When I had a Ford minivan extended length, it felt like I was driving a bus. I drove my MILs Lexus SUV and it felt the same, way too big.

I need/want about the same cargo area as my xB and in about the same footprint.
I also want good visibility.

Between a Mazda and a Ford, I would probably take the Mazda. We have had a few Fords over the years, and the fit and finish doesn't seem quite as good as the Japanese cars. Also the styling is not quite as good, to me.

The Fiats are cute, but I don't think I would ever own another Italian car, just like I would never buy a Chrysler product.

I actually considered a Honda Element when I got the xB. Sorry they don't make them or the xB anymore.

Date: December 06, 2017 05:14PM
Zoidberg

That Herbie mod on the VW was super cute. smiling smiley

Date: December 06, 2017 05:39PM
Have you considered the Chevy Bolt? It's a cute car with quite a fair amount of cargo space. Every review of the car that I've read or watched pointed out how quick and nimble the car is. Someone tested it in an autocross course and found that it did far better than anyone expected.

[www.forbes.com]

From Forbes: "The Bolt is a great car. Why is no one buying it" (Hint, this was written in July 2017. The Bolt is now the topselling EV in the country, outselling Tesla's Model S, 3, and X.)

Posted by: DP
Date: December 06, 2017 06:06PM
Back to the Mini Cooper-for what it's worth, Consumer Reports thinks Minis are crap.

Date: December 06, 2017 06:40PM
DP
Back to the Mini Cooper-for what it's worth, Consumer Reports thinks Minis are crap.

Well, can't say I am surprised. Too bad. They are really cute.

Posted by: stephen
Date: December 06, 2017 06:47PM
I've had three of them, and I really enjoyed them. I've I've moved up to the BMW 2 series now, but no regrets about my three Mini Coopers.
Posted by: decay
Date: December 06, 2017 07:21PM
stephen
I've had three of them, and I really enjoyed them. I've I've moved up to the BMW 2 series now, but no regrets about my three Mini Coopers.

How new were they when you got them? New, 1-2 years old, or older?

---
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 06, 2017 07:34PM
what if you lease. 3 year, when warranty is over, hand it back and get a new one.
Date: December 06, 2017 08:02PM
decay
stephen

How new were they when you got them? New, 1-2 years old, or older?

I bought all three new and kept each approximately 4 years.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 06, 2017 08:13PM
rgG

Kia Soul?
Date: December 06, 2017 08:27PM
That new Clubman is really sweet. It's built on the same chassis as BMW 2 series, I believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 08:27PM by stephen.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 06, 2017 09:09PM
IMO, Subaru reliability is way overrated, VW is way underrated. I thiiiiink VW just added a 7 year warranty.
Date: December 06, 2017 09:21PM
space-time
what if you lease. 3 year, when warranty is over, hand it back and get a new one.

I usually keep a car ten years or more, so I would rather buy than lease.
I HATE car shopping, BTW. grinning smiley

Date: December 06, 2017 09:22PM
DeusxMac
rgG

Kia Soul?

Yeah, those are really cute, but almost too much like my xB. I think I would want something a little different, just for a bit of a change

Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: December 06, 2017 09:25PM
2018 VW models have 6 year, 72,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. VW Golf 1.8 TSI and VW GTI are fantastic cars, and there are smoking good deals on the remaining 2017 models.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Posted by: billb
Date: December 06, 2017 11:53PM
My brother has an S or a Works, since when it first came out. Still has it. Fun to drive.
Course, he'll tell you that about all the Jettas and diesel Bug that spend more time in the shop than in his yard.
He bought his youngest son a Mercedes when he graduated from college and the kid refused it and bought himself a beat up old Avalon.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 07, 2017 08:09AM
If Toyota made nice looking and comfortable vehicles, they'd be very hard to resist. Daughter's 2005 Camry has over 256,000 miles of rode hard and put up wet driving. Just regular maintenance. And getting average 30 mpg all kinds of driving. Her and husband just bought a VW Tiguan so I'm getting the Camry back. I'm not confident in the VW, but the boy is of German ancestry and thinks everything German is better. Whew.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: raz
Date: December 07, 2017 08:09AM
rgG
I was just looking at some of the other Mazda offerings, other than the MX-5. The CX-3 looks interesting.
This would be a replacement for my current Scion xB, if I decided to get a new car, at some point.

I bought a 3 earlier this year, and I'm very pleased with it. The CX-3 is a bit larger and higher - likely to accommodate the 4WD. But the interior layout is very nice.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 07, 2017 10:26AM
Friend had a Werks model, I'll ask him. But it's all relative, as he came from an Audi.

I think the Ford Focus ST is an excellent suggestion, as are the new VW models.
Date: December 07, 2017 11:28AM
My wife had a 99 Camry and we put just shy of 300k miles on it. I hated that car for all but 299.8 of those miles. There was nothing wrong with the car. It managed about 33mpg for its entire life. It need to have the radiator replaced but other than that, my wife did literally nothing but routine maintenance on the thing and it kept chugging along. It was designed and built to appease the optimum number of people on every bellcurve. As a result it offended few, but it also pleased few. It was just utterly adequate. I hated every minute of driving it, except for when we last drove it over Snoqualmie Pass so that we could trade it in on her 2015 Volt. It was stumbling over the pass and I don't think it would have made it back over. The Volt has been a dream as a replacement, but if it only gets 150k miles on it, I'll be happy. It's much more fun to drive.

Posted by: pdq
Date: December 07, 2017 03:34PM

my wife did literally nothing but routine maintenance on the thing and it kept chugging along.

That sounds like my ideal car, ztirffritz.

Oh, wait - it sounds just like my 1991 Camry, which went through me and three young student drivers (my kids) and ~200k miles and was remarkably free of trouble the whole time. I finally gave it away 'cause you couldn't kill the thing.

I don't care for the Camry styling these days, and I drive a Prius anyway, but that was for sure my best car ever.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015