advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is it crazy to have a teen and preteen share a cellphone? Go ahead, say it's crazy.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 06, 2017 08:20PM
Ages 15 and 11. Neither have friends they really call. But they'd text if they could. Emails and text apps have been doable but sometimes cumbersome through Kindles and laptops.

One of us wants them to have access to their own phone from away from the house. The other of us thinks the phone will reliably not be in the possession of whichever kid "needs" it. Meanwhile, the kids are lobbying hard for more access to what they already have: YouTube, browsers, apps.

They've shared a 4S for awhile, but with a phone number only loaded with a few talk minutes during a few times a year. So it's more of an iPod touch, albeit one with a screen so busted it's a beautiful mosaic these days.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is it crazy to have a teen and preteen share a cellphone? Go ahead, say it's crazy.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 06, 2017 08:26PM
I just gave my 12 year old son his first cell phone, mostly because I want to reach him. The 8 year old does not get a cell phone for 4 more years until middle school.

Now 11 and 15? Your older kid will soon have a girlfriend/boyfriend and he/she will not want to share the phone with the younger sibling. Go ahead and get each of them a cell phone.
Re: Is it crazy to have a teen and preteen share a cellphone? Go ahead, say it's crazy.
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 06, 2017 08:31PM
Yes it's crazy. My younger son didn't really start using his phone till his eight grade year. His mom bought him a phone he beat it to @#$%& because he didn't really care and he scrounged up enough to pay for the difference for a new phone, we sold his old phone. Did that once. We ended up buying him a new Moto G4 Play last year. Need to sell that, he is on a Galaxy S7 now. You didn't say boys or girls. Although it doesn't matter now. I would say they use the phone about the same amount. Either way, you crazy.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 06, 2017 08:51PM
.....yes.....crazy.....for thinkin'....that my love......could hold you.....

....get 2 separate.....at that age they will fight over anything....don't give them that reason.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 06, 2017 08:52PM
Mine got one after high school graduation (iPhone 4). One used an iTouch for a couple of years for texting and could do voice with an app. Get what is appropriate for their needs. My wife and I each use a 5, son a 5s, daughter a 6s.

A typical month (in minutes and texts):

Me 150, 20
Wife 400, 19
Son 75, 75 (married, age 25)
Daughter 2125, 2750 (married, age 27)
(Wife is high because she chats with daughter.)

Age and relationship status is less of an indicator than you might think, at least in our family. Of course, needs change.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 08:53PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 06, 2017 08:55PM
Do you WANT them to kill each other???

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 06, 2017 11:13PM
Flip phones for kids in the bigstuff household.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 06, 2017 11:15PM
I grew up without one, and, well, somehow I survived and even thrived.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 06, 2017 11:48PM
mrbigstuff

I was thinking along these lines. Let the older use the 4S a limited amount (is there a way to monitor WiFi use away from home?). Get the younger one a flip phone with limited function and make sure they follow school rules about it.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Winston
Date: December 07, 2017 01:31AM
mrbigstuff

I loved my old Nokia flip phone, and might still be using it if 2G service were not going away. But it was lousy for texting. If that's part of the goal, then look elsewhere. Note sure how any of them are for navigation either (see below).

Depending on the state, a 15 year-old isn't far from driving. I wanted all my kids to have a cellphone with them when driving: maps for navigation, and the ability to call us if there's a problem. (Potential issues with distracted driving noted.) This argues for each having own phone, as you would want the older one to always have access to the phone for a drive.

Our deal was that kids paid for their own cellphone use via a prepaid plan before they started driving. They had to manage getting it reloaded, via a debit card on a kid's bank account which had some allowance money in it. They typically got an inexpensive phone at about age 12 for a birthday or Christmas. The older two got them for Christmas at ages 12 and 13 one year, and both lost the phones within a few months (a good lesson). They held onto the next phones they got.

When kids started driving we got them on our postpaid plan (unlimited data), and I pay for the service through college or a bit after.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 07, 2017 01:42AM
Id go for 2 of the $150 iPhone SE with prepaid plan deals.

Relatively cheap, very fast phone, great camera and 32 GB -- should be plenty and last a good long time. Im not a big user, rarely text, no photos and no email -- I expect my SE to last for many many years.

[www.bestbuy.com]

We resisted on the cell phone thing for as long as we could. Oldest got hers middle of 6th grade. ALL of her friends had them, so a little peer pressure... It was a handmedown from the wifes, so no real cost except for the data. Youngest will prob wait longer.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Winston
Date: December 07, 2017 02:28AM
The SE is a great choice. Love mine. Get good cases AND screen protectors.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 07, 2017 05:37AM
Get a couple used 4s' from swappa (or 5s for a little more), put a MVNO sim in of your choice.

I say the 4s, because it is cheap and works for what you want. They are likely going to lose/break a phone in the first year, it's what even the best kids do. All part of growing up in a modern world. Then when they show ownership responsibility, you can upgrade them.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 07, 2017 05:47AM
nuts smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 07, 2017 07:12AM
....agree about getting 'cheap' phones......kids are notorious for destroying stuff/not taking are of stuff.....don't spend money on a 'nice' phone or even an old iPhone [ unless it comes with great/strong case ].....they will also probably 'out grow' it in a few years and will want a better one so why pay for expensive phone.....get cheap for now.....

....and if they show responsibility then maybe get a 'nicer' one later......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 07, 2017 02:24PM
Obviously you guys havent met my kids. Breaking an iPhone or iPad = not getting a new one. So they are very well cared for...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 63
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015