advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wrong/Old Version HDD sent; Keep, Return, or ask for compensation?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 07, 2017 03:57AM
Ordered a 1TB portable 7200RPM HDD w/ 130+MB/s thruput from Blackcyberday sale that was advertised as a USB-C model drive. Picture on website clearly shows drive w/ USB-C port on drive and states unit comes w/ USB C/C cable and USB C/A cable. Drive was delivered, and according to the box, has a USB mB port on it along w/ USB mB/C and USB mB/A cables included instead. Google fu show latter drive to be prevalent in South Africa and a couple of other countries (other than USA), and apparently has the same manufacturer model number as the drive I was led to believe I had ordered (and is pictured on the website).

The listed performance specs are pretty much identical, but I still kinda feel that I was baited and switched. I'm pondering whether to make an inquiry; and if so, do I want to hassle w/ a return, or to just keep the drive that was delivered, since I don't know what real world difference the USB mB drive port would make vs. the newer USB-C port, as you need a cable to make the drive work anyway. I was hoping clearer minds from afar around here could shed some light on potential resolutions.
Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wrong/Old Version HDD sent; Keep, Return, or ask for compensation?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 07, 2017 04:43AM
Buzz,

You didn't get what you ordered. If it was me, I'd request and RMA and ask them to ship the correct version of the drive. If the seller refuses or can't, then return it for a full refund and make them pay the return shipping.

Robert
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 07, 2017 05:37AM
Buzz, this was your mistake.

You didn't order from OWC ROTFL

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 07, 2017 05:40AM
which Vendor?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 07, 2017 11:06AM
which Vendor?

It's one of the biggest, well known, well reputed, New York tech and electronics vendors. I don't think they'll give too much of a hassle, but I'll probably call the G-Drive people first to check out the model number situation. It's a Mac formatted drive, but my best guess is that it was originally for some foreign markets, and the vendor bought up excess supply.... it's weird because, after googling after the drive came, they seem to be the only domestic vendor w/ that model number. G-Drive's site, and all other domestic vendors have a different model number for portable USB-C drives w/ the same description. Domestically, I would've thought that G-Drive would've changed model numbers from one iteration to the next, as well as different colors for the enclosure; that's why I think it may be for foreign markets.
==
Posted by: hal
Date: December 07, 2017 02:02PM
It's pretty simple - return it if you don't want it.

Does this vendor have a name? Any reason why you're not telling us?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 07, 2017 03:30PM
hal
It's pretty simple - return it if you don't want it.

Does this vendor have a name? Any reason why you're not telling us?

Probably because he wants opinions formed on the facts, not based on any long standing grudges against a particular vendor.

(I think I know who it is based on the hints, and I have a long standing grudge against them... ).

I'd call then and seek satisfaction in the form of a return, or if the drive is something you can use, in the form of a discount/partial refund.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 07, 2017 06:46PM
probably [www.bhphotovideo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 06:46PM by space-time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015