advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
anyone have, use or can recommend the ipad mini 4?
Posted by: robfilms
Date: December 07, 2017 09:45AM
i know others have suggested that there might be better solutions than an ipad for an upcoming africa safari

[forums.macresource.com]

but as a device to view images coming off the sd cards for $275/new, i'm not sure i have found a better solution.

[www.bestbuy.com]

plus it will eventually be my wife's commuting media device.

i welcome any thoughts.

be well.

rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 09:45AM by robfilms.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: anyone have, use or can recommend the ipad mini 4?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: December 07, 2017 09:50AM
I love my iPad mini 4. I have had the iPad mini since it first came out. My up close vision works well, so I don’t need the bigger iPad. It’s very portable, in fact, or use it so much I just picked up a new iPad mini 4 cellular. It would be great if they were to update it, but that doesn’t look like it’s happening.

I have a 10 1/2 inch iPad Pro, but I only use that when I’m editing photos. My go to for every day, and it’s always with me is the iPad mini 4.

I protect it with a thin smart case and a tempered glass screen protector. Less than $20 total for both on Amazon.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 07, 2017 10:10AM
I, too, love my iPad Mini 4. I carry it with me just about any time I am out and about; it really helps me pass the time when I'm in the transit system. I have a lot of music and quite a few books on it, plus some games (mostly word games) that I hope will stave off senility. It's an ideal size for the bags I usually carry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 10:10AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 07, 2017 10:24AM
My retina iPad screen broke to smithereens so I need a new one. Considering mini. When I finish at doc I go Apple store and check them out.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: December 07, 2017 11:18AM
Thank you for those positive replies.

Do those who like their iPad mini 4, do you rely on wifi or did you purchase a cellular model tied to your cell service?

Thanks in advance.

Be well.

Rob
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 07, 2017 11:26AM
FWIW, BestBuy just announced a sale; $275 for the 128 wifi version if I remember right.

Date: December 07, 2017 12:02PM
Zoidberg
FWIW, BestBuy just announced a sale; $275 for the 128 wifi version if I remember right.

that is what drew my interest.

be well.

rob
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 07, 2017 12:22PM
My wife has a regular iPad cellular with free Tmobile data that she uses for email and general surfing at home and an iPad mini 4 wifi that she uses to take pictures and that we take on our travels. We have a case with keyboard built in and it works great. I'd get another without any hesitation.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 07, 2017 03:05PM
My son loves his iPad mini - he has the mini2, the version with retina. It doesn't seem slow at all.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 07, 2017 03:10PM
Sekker,

I've got the same model as your son. IPad Mini 2. Love it! Just as dandy now as when I bought it way back when. Chose it over a Mini 3 because the only difference between the Mini 2 and Mini 3 was Touch ID. Not worth the extra bucks for that single feature, at least not on an iPad.

Mine has 128GB, wifi and cellular. Glad I have cellular. Sure, there are lots of hot spots around when I'm out and about but some are crappytacular at best and "logging" into them gets tiresome. Just easier to turn wifi off and use the data connection and be done with it.

Robert
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 07, 2017 03:26PM
sekker
My son loves his iPad mini - he has the mini2, the version with retina. It doesn't seem slow at all.

We have 2 of those as well, kids use them all the time -- and I agree with others, never a slowdown. Plenty of games, web, TV, movies, etc.

Got them over the mini 3 for the same reason as Robert, the 2 and 3 were nearly identical spec wise.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 07, 2017 04:34PM
well, i bought the linked ipad mini 4 via best buy.

should be here early next week.

woo woo.

thank you everyone for playing along.

be well.

rob
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 07, 2017 06:38PM
Good deal! Mine is WiFi only. That hasn’t been a problem since I have my phone with me unless I am having a brain melt.
Date: December 07, 2017 06:41PM
the best buy link was wifi only.

but at $275, the lte model was nearly twice the price.

so wifi it is.

we can download the podcasts or books and then read/listen off-line.

i have never had a tablet. this should be fun.

be well.

rob
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 07, 2017 08:11PM
Enjoy!
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: December 08, 2017 06:50AM
robfilms
the best buy link was wifi only.

but at $275, the lte model was nearly twice the price.

so wifi it is.

we can download the podcasts or books and then read/listen off-line.

i have never had a tablet. this should be fun.

be well.

rob

The one with Celluar was only $330. Certainly not twice the price.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Date: December 08, 2017 07:31AM
I stopped at Apple Store yesterday to see iPad mini 4 (It is 4 now?). Really liked it. Fit in my coat pocket too! I'm used to cell on current iPad, so think I'd want to get that again. Bill, $330 for iPad mini 4 128 with cell at bestbuy, eh? Oh me, I might have to go get that one! But, Ethyl just might have gotten me a new iPad for Christmas... Maybe I could get it and return one of them?

rob, you're going to love having iPad! I use mine more than any device, iPhone, MacBook Pro, it's almost always on.

Just checked Best Buy site. Cell model is Verizon only for $330. If get the one that just say "cellular," it is $530!! Wonder what's up with that? I was on Verizon one time; case closed.

I just read about the Apple SIM card, love it! It works with every cell company in every country I need! Does not work on Verizo. Yappari. Think I'll wait until Christmas, if i don't get a new one, I'll get iPad mini 4 with Apple SIM card. $529 at Apple Store, 128 GB model. My current iPad has 57 MB (!!) free space. 16GB model...

Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 07:50AM by GuyGene.
Date: December 08, 2017 08:40AM
i'm on a family sprint cell plan so, like gene, i was thinking lte/sim card at $530 and thus nearly twice the price.

i can surely see the advantages of having a cellular connection which would add a real layer of functionality.

maybe down the road.

be well.

rob
Date: December 08, 2017 10:08AM
Well rob, you still did good! And you can toggle from phone if you really need connection on iPad.

Date: December 08, 2017 12:31PM
GuyGene
Well rob, you still did good! And you can toggle from phone if you really need connection on iPad.

gene-

glad you are feeling well enough these day to be up and writing. thumbs up.

i never had an ipad so i have no idea about "toggling".

any and all specific directions would be great.

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015