advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Advice for DisneyWorld vacation
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 07, 2017 10:44AM
I am planning a spring break trip to DisneyWorld for my family of four. I have had two back surgeries and have difficulty being on my feet all day. So I'm looking for a hotel with easy park access so I can take a mid day break. I've read that if I stay at a Disney park hotel I can take advantage of the monorail. I assume that would cut down on the walking I would have to do. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Advice for DisneyWorld vacation
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 07, 2017 10:50AM
Don't do it!

Of, if you do, bring a handicap person so you can cut in line. Don't know any handicap people? You can hire one for this specific use.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
.....yes, if you stay at one of their hotels, they are linked by the monorail [ at least they were back when ], you also get early access to the park [ at least earlier then people staying at outside hotels ] so earlier access to rides before the park 'officially' opens......however, the prices for their hotels are supposedly much higher......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 10:54AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: mikebw
davemchine
I am planning a spring break trip to DisneyWorld for my family of four. I have had two back surgeries and have difficulty being on my feet all day. So I'm looking for a hotel with easy park access so I can take a mid day break. I've read that if I stay at a Disney park hotel I can take advantage of the monorail. I assume that would cut down on the walking I would have to do. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Monorail would help some, but the vast majority of the walking will be within each park. Even the best of us get tired in such scenarios. I suggest you make plans to visit every show and sit down attraction in advance so you can avoid lines. Definitely look into their FastPass+ system.
Posted by: dochocson
Date: December 07, 2017 11:01AM
I've had friends recommend focusing on one or two parks, since it is nearly impossible to see everything unless you are staying a long time. Also allows you to pick a hotel close to your target attractions.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 07, 2017 11:02AM
Bring your own water or buy fountain drinks or bottled drinks. The tap water from the drinking fountains tastes like swamp water.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 07, 2017 11:05AM
Bring or tent a wheelchair for yourself. You may need to get a doctor's certificate for handicapped parking hang tag and whatnot. It's totally worth it. Some years ago our family did Disney world, and Mrs. cbelt3 was in a wheelchair for that one. Fast to the front of the line, etc.
[disneyparks.disney.go.com]

[disneyworld.disney.go.com]
Posted by: bik
Date: December 07, 2017 11:11AM
My only advice would be...

Don't go during Spring Break.

Regardless of your ability to cut lines for rides, there will be wall-to-wall people. There will be constant jostling. It won't be a relaxing vacation. 50 minutes of every hour will be unpleasant.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 07, 2017 11:21AM
mikebw
Monorail would help some, but the vast majority of the walking will be within each park. Definitely look into their FastPass+ system.

This. Its not really for getting around the park, since it only has 2 stops. In the park and at the hotel.

Rent a scooter, there are a billion people riding around in them, just be another one.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 07, 2017 11:24AM
Since you have a legit reason, do the wheelchair. Have the the family ditch you at a restaurant while they do those rides you can't do. That may be enough to avoid needing to return to the car or hotel.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: December 07, 2017 11:40AM
ztirffritz
Don't do it!

Of, if you do, bring a handicap person so you can cut in line. Don't know any handicap people? You can hire one for this specific use.

smiley-signs003

been to long since we've been there - the one and only time I've ever been and likely will ever be again short of my kids dragging me there with their kids should we be so blessed.... But - I will note you are definitely planning on a visit at the right time of the year both weather and crowd factor wise. Disney does a lot of good things to make it a better experience with respect to your circumstances as well - still, I'd never do it with the surgery/recovery, etc of your circumstance. A lot of folks here I am sure will have great advise and I hope it's a great trip for the family!

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 07, 2017 12:24PM
Another note on the tap water, it is ALL around the park. I did not just use one fountain as a sample size. You can verify this with online reports.

Posted by: wurm
Date: December 07, 2017 12:25PM
bik

Regardless of your ability to cut lines for rides, there will be wall-to-wall people. There will be constant jostling. It won't be a relaxing vacation. 50 minutes of every hour will be unpleasant.

What he said..times 100. It's never not busy, but Spring Break will be a zoo.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 07, 2017 12:26PM
....so guess you wouldn't tap.....that.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: December 07, 2017 01:09PM
Rent an ECV at the park or bring a wheel chair. You can always push the empty chair around if you're feeling chipper.
If you qualify for a handicap tag by all means get one, the parking lots are huge.
+1 about the water and not just at the park.

Wheelchair assist on your flight can be helpful too. Especially going thru security. You'll be first on but last off on the plane. Last off usually means no impatiently waiting for luggage at the carousel. You don't have to do wheelchair 100% either, just carry a fold up cane and use it when it opens doors.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 07, 2017 02:03PM
We went to Disneyland last year several times. Last time was November 4th for my oldest 13th -- it was dead -- or at least as dead as I have ever seen Disneyland.

Practically no wait on many rides, even the most popular only had 20 minutes or so. We have made it a standing plan to go that time every year...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: December 07, 2017 04:33PM
Horrible misread on my part... I read 'spring' as opposed to spring break.

Simple advice - don't do it. smiling smiley

imho.

bik

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 07, 2017 05:02PM
We used to be DVC members and have stayed in Boardwalk, Old Key West, and Bay Lake Tower on DVC points. Bay Lake Tower is by far the best for access if you want a room with some of the best accommodations. Polynesian, Contemporary and Grand Floridian all have easy access to the monorail.

The cutting in line and zooming to the front has pretty much ceased since the 'rent a handicap person' fiasco. You get fast passes or return time like everyone else.

Guests with Disabilities – Frequently Asked Questions
[disneyworld.disney.go.com]

The cheapest way to stay in the really nice DVC resorts is to rent DVC points through one of the many rental agencies no available. We actually rented out our unused points a few times. We'll go back again someday and will most likely rent points but my wife and I would like to buy points at Hilton Head as it's only about 4 hours away and you can still use the points at Disney's resorts and the theme parks.

David's is probably the largest.
[www.dvcrequest.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 07, 2017 09:12PM
My sister and her sister-in-law (6 kids between them) got on AirBnB and rented a house with a pool. When the kids started to droop at the park, it was back to the house and splash. Worked great for them.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 07, 2017 10:19PM
We like Disney World.

Do some homework.

Epcot is a lot of walking, but there are great places to stop and eat - so you might not find it as tedious.

Spring break will be busy, so plan accordingly.

Enjoy!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 08, 2017 12:14AM
pRICE cUBE
Bring your own water or buy fountain drinks or bottled drinks. The tap water from the drinking fountains tastes like swamp water.
Both DW and DL will give you a cup of ice water at all locations if you ask for one. Little known secret. Cheaper and far less damaging for business than people fainting from heat stroke/exhaustion/dehydration. Seriously.
Posted by: rz
Date: December 08, 2017 07:09AM
As someone who lives here and has been an annual pass member for years, I'll offer some advice.

Spring Break is the 2nd worst time to come. All of the parks will be insanely crowded. The only worse time is summer, when it's crowded AND hot/humid. Xmas thru New Years is the 3rd worst time to come... Magic Kingdom for sure WILL get full early and will stop allowing people in.

Definitely arrange fast passes well in advance. If you go to Epcot, don't bother getting a fast pass for Spaceship Earth. If you wait until after around dinner time, the line can shrink to being less than 5 minutes.

They don't do the wheelchairs to the front anymore. They may allow you to do a sort of fast pass though. Good if you already have fast passes for other rides.

As far as I know, every restaurant will give you free ice water if you ask. And it's filtered, so no sulfur smell/taste.

There will be a bazillion people with wheelchairs, scooters and strollers. The only preferred treatment you might get is seating at a show. And sometimes the seating isn't as great as you might hope.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 08, 2017 10:08AM
The very best time to go is pretty much... now. Between Thanksgiving and school letting out for Christmas. Very light crowds.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 10, 2017 08:23PM
Will Collier
The very best time to go is pretty much... now. Between Thanksgiving and school letting out for Christmas. Very light crowds.

Absolutely. Or just after spring break.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015