advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
HELP: upgrading from snow leopard to yosemite/whatever
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: December 08, 2017 03:30PM
hi! i'm trying to upgrade a friend's macbook pro, model identifier v. 6,2 (this one, i think), running snow leopard to yosemite and as far after that as she can go. i've downloaded yosemite from the app store from a prior purchase i made, but after i attempt to install, i get the following error message:

"This copy of the Install OS X Yosemite application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading.

"Delete this copy of the application, and go to the Purchases page of the Mac App Store to download a new copy."

again, i downloaded this installer from the app store, so i'm kinda disinclined to go through the motions again.

my understanding from the non-genuis bar guy at the apple store is that the current os is too old to upgrade from this installer (i couldn't stick around long enough for my drop-in appointment with the genuis bar). do i need to start at lion or mountain lion and go up from there? what's the best source from which to download installers for older operating systems?

tia, y'all!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: HELP: upgrading from snow leopard to yosemite/whatever
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 08, 2017 03:50PM
I’d try connecting her machine to a high speed connection and then, on her machine, go to the App Store. That way, Apple can determine what upgrade(s) will work. Any download is likely to be several GBs so, the faster the connection the better.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: December 08, 2017 03:57PM
Try setting the date to 1/1/16 and run the updater you already have again.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 08, 2017 04:02PM
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but is there a compelling reason to make this "upgrade"? My two HTPC's (I know, but HTMacs is dumb) and home server are all happily running Snow Leopard, aka, the last really good release of the MacOS.

IOW, if you don't NEED to 'upgrade,' then don't.
Posted by: numbered
Date: December 08, 2017 04:22PM
You need to either
--re-download, or
--do what PeterW said. (But you may have to use a much earlier date than he mentioned.)

A couple of years ago Apple changed the signing of MacOS releases. There is a date check and you get the error message you mention if the dates don't check. Inputting a earlier date into the system is a workaround (and the date will reset properly after restart.) A fresh download is a better solution.

I'll stay out of the 'leaving Snow Leopard' debate...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 04:23PM by numbered.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 08, 2017 06:05PM
Will Collier

I agree.

If you could go to Mavericks, that would be great, but not possible unless downloaded previous.

You could try installing Yose on an external drive, then plugging into her MBP, migrate from her old drive to the new, then erase her drive and clone back from external... a lot of work. And time if its full.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 08, 2017 06:19PM
goodmanx
hi! i'm trying to upgrade a friend's macbook pro, model identifier v. 6,2 (this one, i think), running snow leopard to yosemite and as far after that as she can go.

If the intent is to go "as far after that as she can go", that MBP can run High Sierra.

You could go straight to 10.11 El Capitan from Snowleopard, and from that go to Sierra or High Sierra. Not sure why you're trying to go to Yosemite first.

See this thread for how to download a fresh copy El Capitan and Sierra even if you haven't previously purchased it. You'll need to be running 10.6 on that MBP in order for it to offer El Capitan, and 10.7 or later for it to offer Sierra.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 08, 2017 06:30PM
As others have said, the installer is most likely fine. Set the date back before Feb. 2016. You might also want to control click on the installer to show package contents and remove the MAS receipt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 06:31PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 08, 2017 07:02PM
Not much to add, just wanted to weigh in that I think Mavericks, El Capitan or Sierra would all be better choices than Yosemite.

Posted by: Winston
Date: December 08, 2017 08:49PM
Will Collier
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but is there a compelling reason to make this "upgrade"? My two HTPC's (I know, but HTMacs is dumb) and home server are all happily running Snow Leopard, aka, the last really good release of the MacOS.

There is no longer a "current" web browser for Snow Leopard (10.6). If you are using the Mac for web browsing, Snow Leopard should no longer be considered an option. The last was Firefox, but that now requires Mavericks (10.9) or later.

My 2010 13" MBP with a 2.4 GHz Core2Duo runs El Capitan just fine. The 2010 15" with an i5 will do even better.

Note that the MacBookPro6,2 shipped with 4 GB memory. I'd upgrade it to 8 GB for the later OS versions if that hasn't been done yet. (Unfortunately, that's as far as you can go. My 13" can take 16 GB . . .)

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: December 08, 2017 09:00PM
Making a bootable USB stick installer out of the download will usually circumvent that error.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 08, 2017 09:41PM
AllGold
Not much to add, just wanted to weigh in that I think Mavericks, El Capitan or Sierra would all be better choices than Yosemite.

I think Yosemite is what is already on hand; but El Cap should be do-able with 10.6.8 and the various updates.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 09, 2017 08:05AM
Adding an SSD with the new OS might avoid hardware problems from an older hard drive.

Would also be faster and likely better first upgrade over RAM.

That machine will feel slow running a newer OS off a platter drive.
Date: December 09, 2017 09:18AM
sekker
Adding an SSD with the new OS might avoid hardware problems from an older hard drive.

Would also be faster and likely better first upgrade over RAM.

That machine will feel slow running a newer OS off a platter drive.

I agree with sekker's suggestion on an SSD. I've got a 1 TB Samsung EVO 850 in my 2010 MBP. Amazon has the 500 GB version right now for $140, which is a pretty good deal.
[www.amazon.com]

I've read recently that a lot of new NAND flash memory production capacity is coming next year, so SSD prices should finally start to drop. Several companies are coming out with their own "3D" technologies to compete with Samsung.

Interestingly, my Samsung EVO 850 replaced a 500 GB Seagate fusion drive (500 GB platters and 4 GB SSD in one package). I was surprised that I don't notice the Samsung being substantially faster than the Seagate most of the time. Seagate did a good job with their fusion drive (or at least the one I had). They are a lot cheaper than SSDs - current model is 1 TB for $63.
[www.amazon.com]

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: December 09, 2017 09:29AM
thanks to all who responded.

the upgrade became essential when image-heavy web sites consistently crashed all browsers.

changing the date didn't help.

when i tried using the app store yesterday at the apple store, i got a message that i needed 10.8 or later to upgrade.

i got the verification message with two different downloads of the yosemite installer.

i tried to install mountain lion, but got a error message to the effect that some components couldn't be downloaded from the internet. i did an internet rescue restart (command+option+r) then re-tried installing m/l which i thought was going to work when the installer ran for a half hour or so, but wound up getting the same error message. so i backed up the drive to our 4tb drive and intend to make an appointment with the genius guys at the apple store to let them have their way with it, including scraping the drive, if necessary.

thanks, again, y'all!
Date: December 09, 2017 10:09AM
goodmanx
the upgrade became essential when image-heavy web sites consistently crashed all browsers.

Overloaded web pages is one of main reasons I was finally forced off of my PowerBook. I didn't get crashes, just pages which took forever to load (using TenFourFox, a port of Firefox for PowerPC Macs). Web developers should be forced to use 10 year-old low-end computers for all their work.

One great feature of an upgrade is Safari 11. Not sure how far you have to go to get this - guessing El Capitan, as I've got it. It has an option to block autoplay of videos. Unfortunately, it can't stop them from loading. I've got ClicktoPlugin, which does block some videos from loading. I consider autoloading of unwanted video by a web site to be a reprehensible invasion of my internet use.

Just to be clear, as I understand it you could download the Yosemite installer, but could not get it to run properly. Can you create an installer on a USB thumb drive?

Diskmaker X can help automate the process. Don't think it works on Snow Leopard, but there are versions which work from Lion on.
[diskmakerx.com]

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 09, 2017 01:34PM
Winston
One great feature of an upgrade is Safari 11. Not sure how far you have to go to get this - guessing El Capitan, as I've got it.

Version 10 of Safari is what is running on my system with Yosemite, so it definitely takes a later version of the OS than that for Safari 11.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 204
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015