advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple ‘On Schedule’ to Terminate Music Downloads by 2019
Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 09, 2017 01:44PM
"Apple is scheduling a complete phase-out of music downloads from the iTunes Store by early 2019, per sources at the company.

Apple is aggressively scheduling a phase-out of music downloads from the iTunes Store, according to multiple sources tied into the platform or working at the company itself. The termination has been in motion since 2016, when sources first tipped the story to Digital Music News...."

[www.digitalmusicnews.com]

Not sure if this will be true but I pretty much gave up on iTunes several years ago.

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple ‘On Schedule’ to Terminate Music Downloads by 2019
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 09, 2017 01:47PM
.....just the tip.......

,,,,,,of the iceberg.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 09, 2017 01:49PM
we will no longer be able to own anything.

music: subscription
Adobe: subscription
netflix: subscription

maybe some day we won't be able to buy cars or houses. Lease and Rent only.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 09, 2017 01:56PM
if you have widgets and thingamajigs, but widgets have "plummeting download sales" then why would you keep making widgets?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 09, 2017 01:57PM
space-time

You know the old saying:
You never buy beer, you only rent it.

JoeM
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 09, 2017 01:59PM
space-time

This guy is suggesting that Apple should stop selling iPhones, etc., and just lease them.

[money.usnews.com]

Sacconaghi says the timing has never been better for Apple to follow in the footsteps of Netflix (NFLX), Spotify and Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) and push to transition its electronic personal device market to a subscription model.

"Customers could lease iPhones, iPads, Macs, and services such as iCloud and Apple Music for one 'low' monthly fee, and have their hardware upgraded after a certain number of years," Sacconaghi says, according to CNBC.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 09, 2017 02:01PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! angry villagers smiley

it's not much but my iTunes download income is enough to pay my cable internet bill each year. streaming doesn't come close. DAMN!

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: December 09, 2017 02:23PM
I have been so out of iTunes for so long - what about old songs purchased and DRM? I think it one point you could pay extra to remove DRM from the older purchases. What is the current situtatuin with DRM and will we be able to keep copies of our music on our devices when/if Apple pulls the plug?

JoeM
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 09, 2017 02:32PM
jdc
if you have widgets and thingamajigs, but widgets have "plummeting download sales" then why would you keep making widgets?

Apple doesn't make the music it sells.

It is what it is.
Date: December 09, 2017 02:34PM
JoeM
I have been so out of iTunes for so long - what about old songs purchased and DRM? I think it one point you could pay extra to remove DRM from the older purchases. What is the current situtatuin with DRM and will we be able to keep copies of our music on our devices when/if Apple pulls the plug?

Any song downloaded from iTunes now does not include DRM. Thus, simply re-download any song that has DRM and you are good.

It is what it is.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 09, 2017 02:38PM
Why in the world is reducing options for funding of creatives a good thing for the music ecosystem?

Is this going to be true for movies? I just purchased a film last night.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 09, 2017 03:08PM
to be followed by a 1000 years copyright law.

mullet smiley
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: December 09, 2017 03:20PM
Apple already does this - it's called the iPhone Upgrade Program.

GGD
space-time

This guy is suggesting that Apple should stop selling iPhones, etc., and just lease them.

[money.usnews.com]

Sacconaghi says the timing has never been better for Apple to follow in the footsteps of Netflix (NFLX), Spotify and Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) and push to transition its electronic personal device market to a subscription model.

"Customers could lease iPhones, iPads, Macs, and services such as iCloud and Apple Music for one 'low' monthly fee, and have their hardware upgraded after a certain number of years," Sacconaghi says, according to CNBC.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 09, 2017 03:24PM
JoeM
... and will we be able to keep copies of our music on our devices when/if Apple pulls the plug?

It's about incentivizing users to ditch local libraries. You could keep what you have but they are betting you won't want to, or that some convenience barrier will convince you it's not worth it.

Online distribution allows instant exposure to a wider variety of music, but the potential to fully experience it won't always be as strong as having a local copy, especially a physical one. Anyone who appreciates perusing a CD or LP collection stored on shelving, and interacting with/utilizing what those libraries offer, understands.

For everyone else today, your next bill is coming due in a few days.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 09, 2017 03:34PM
N-OS X-tasy!
jdc

Duh?

"Selling" then.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 09, 2017 03:51PM
jdc
N-OS X-tasy!
jdc

Duh?

"Selling" then.

You chose your words, not me. Duh.

It is what it is.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 09, 2017 03:54PM
C'mon now. I haven't finished copying all my CDs to my ipod yet.
Slow down just a little, will ya ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: michaelb
Date: December 09, 2017 04:34PM
I don't believe it. My guess is that streaming audio will fade long before selling music. Just look at the rise back from the dead with vinyl. Only a small percentage of the population will pay for streaming and that number has probably topped out. So unless streaming is free and without ads, I just don't see that working long term.
Date: December 09, 2017 04:46PM
N-OS X-tasy!
JoeM

Any song downloaded from iTunes now does not include DRM. Thus, simply re-download any song that has DRM and you are good.

Great! Thank you!

JoeM
Date: December 09, 2017 04:49PM
deckeda
JoeM
... and will we be able to keep copies of our music on our devices when/if Apple pulls the plug?

It's about incentivizing users to ditch local libraries. You could keep what you have but they are betting you won't want to, or that some convenience barrier will convince you it's not worth it.

Online distribution allows instant exposure to a wider variety of music, but the potential to fully experience it won't always be as strong as having a local copy, especially a physical one. Anyone who appreciates perusing a CD or LP collection stored on shelving, and interacting with/utilizing what those libraries offer, understands.

For everyone else today, your next bill is coming due in a few days.

I imagine that is true of younger people now, to some extend, but since I am an old geezer that still has an LP collection, cassettes, DVDs, DAT tapes and even some reel to reels (no 8 tracks) I fall into the second category.

JoeM
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 09, 2017 04:50PM
I'm now awaiting the resurrection of Napster…
Posted by: Don C
Date: December 09, 2017 05:04PM
Most of the time, I play music on my MBP where I don't have it connected to the internet and most of this music is not available so streaming is not an option. I need to have my collection with me. Guess I'll be keeping this MBP for a long time!

JoeM, I had to give away my collection of reel to reel tapes. The drive wheel on my Teac got too hard to hold on to the tape so it became unusable. I gave the player to a repair shop and had to dump the tapes. Much of my tape collection was from my days in Vietnam where we had a tape copying operation on base. They had a pretty extensive library so I came home with several 3 hour tapes of Willy Nelson, Ray Conniff, Robert Shaw Chorale, Boston Pops, and who knows what other collections.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: December 09, 2017 05:09PM
N-OS X-tasy!

How? I just found an example song, went to the iTunes store and it showed as $1.29, so more like re-buy.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Date: December 09, 2017 06:32PM
Don C
Most of the time, I play music on my MBP where I don't have it connected to the internet and most of this music is not available so streaming is not an option. I need to have my collection with me. Guess I'll be keeping this MBP for a long time!

JoeM, I had to give away my collection of reel to reel tapes. The drive wheel on my Teac got too hard to hold on to the tape so it became unusable. I gave the player to a repair shop and had to dump the tapes. Much of my tape collection was from my days in Vietnam where we had a tape copying operation on base. They had a pretty extensive library so I came home with several 3 hour tapes of Willy Nelson, Ray Conniff, Robert Shaw Chorale, Boston Pops, and who knows what other collections.

Don C, that's a shame. I have a Teac 3340s in storage that I'll be pulling out soon. The last time I used it I had no problems but Im not so sure that will be the case this time. I have a couple of services that will bake old reel to reel tapes and digitize the music on them for you so I may go that way.

JoeM
Posted by: Don C
Date: December 09, 2017 09:03PM
JoeM,
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think that the recording quality was sufficient to warrant digitizing the tapes. It was, if I recall correctly, a Teac 4010 which I bought when I was in Vietnam. It was my main source of music over there (two tapes commercial tapes plus the copied ones). Did quite a few recordings from the radio and even a few live performances using microphones that were adequate but not good.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 09, 2017 09:50PM
This seems like a dumb move to me, but I'm not their target demographic. I have absolutely no interest in any streaming music service.
Posted by: jonny
Date: December 10, 2017 09:49AM
If Apple stops offering it, there will be legions who will be happy to take your money.
Date: December 10, 2017 11:36AM
jonny
If Apple stops offering it, there will be legions who will be happy to take your money.

Just who would they be? AFAIK, Amazon is the only other large business that outright sells digital music.

It is what it is.
Date: December 10, 2017 03:16PM
I think Amazons music services are pretty nice.

JoeM
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 10, 2017 03:52PM
There are others that sell downloads but they all pale in a size comparison to Apple and Amazon. They could experience growth if Apple left as early as 2019.

But Apple isn't leaving money on the table. With physical sales pretty bad, and downloads about to follow them, streaming is growing because it's too tempting for a mostly casual audience who favors convenience over engagement.

There's an argument to be made that music fandom was more prevalent years ago, when it was "forced" upon us by an industry that required more of an investment per song. Everything from artists to studios to independent labels go broke since then.
Posted by: rz
Date: December 10, 2017 07:58PM
Article Accelerator
I'm now awaiting the resurrection of Napster…

It's already here. It's called usenet...
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 10, 2017 09:04PM
jonny

We will see. I have dumped the Apple Music app on my iPhone, might as well dump iTunes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018