Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
inherited ipad but cannot get past "activation code" ;-(
Posted by: robfilms
Date: December 11, 2017 07:01AM
my mom-in-law passed 1.5 years ago.

she had an older ipad, maybe 2nd gen without the fingerprint os.

because my mom-in-law was fantastic, she kept a file of all relevant data concerning everything in her life including the ipad.

there was a 4 digit password noted and that worked fine.

but then we got to the "activation code" window and the @icloud.com account and the password that was noted on the same documents as the 4 digit password which was also in her own handwriting, sadly, did not work.

what are our options?

can we go to a genius bar, explain my mom-in-laws passing and can they re-set/re-boot the ipad?

thanks in advance for any insights you care to share.

be well.

rob
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: inherited ipad but cannot get past "activation code" ;-(
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: December 11, 2017 07:34AM
If you still have access to any email on that account they might send you a password reset for that iCloud account.

If you have proof of ownership, and possibly a death certificate, the Apple store may reset it for you.
Date: December 11, 2017 09:03AM
her email passwords were a bit less organized.

sigh.

obviously, we can provide a death certificate.

be well.

rob
Posted by: andypie48
Date: December 11, 2017 10:58AM
My GF has this exact problem. The original owner called Apple with identification and they will reset it.... after a 10 day delay.
Date: December 11, 2017 11:20AM
thanks for the share.

unfortunately, my wife will now need to show apple the death certificate.

which will definitely bring back a moment of sadness.

by the way, my mom-in-law really was a great person, a fantastic grandmother to my now young adult daughters, and a very loving mom to my wife.

i was very fortunate to know her.

sigh...

be well.

rob
Posted by: Forrest
Date: December 11, 2017 12:08PM
Are you interested in the information (photo's, etc) on the iPad? If not, it may be simpler for an Apple store to just reset the iPad.
Date: December 11, 2017 12:53PM
Forrest
Are you interested in the information (photo's, etc) on the iPad? If not, it may be simpler for an Apple store to just reset the iPad.

not interested in any info.

would just hope to reset.

be well.

rob
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 11, 2017 01:51PM
Lessons learned to all of us about sharing passwords.
Mine are in an encrypted cloud place, and the password to THAT is shared with my wife and my sister.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: December 11, 2017 02:09PM
robfilms
Forrest

be well.

rob

I just had to do this with my Dad's iPad. He somehow set up a pass code on it.
He says he didn't do anything…

Anyways I followed these instructions from Apple

We ended up with a "factory new" iPad.

Steve
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 11, 2017 03:44PM
As I understand Robfilms dilemma, it's not the PASSCODE that was lost, it's an ACTIVATION code, to confirm detaching the device from the previous (passed away) owners AppleID. This is emailed to the "former owner", which Robfilms does not (yet) have access to.
This is a problem. As others have suggested, Apple can help. Otherwise, there is no way to recover this iPad.

kurtzie
robfilms
Forrest

be well.

rob

I just had to do this with my Dad's iPad. He somehow set up a pass code on it.
He says he didn't do anything…

Anyways I followed these instructions from Apple

We ended up with a "factory new" iPad.

Steve

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 11, 2017 10:16PM
cbelt3
Mine are in an encrypted cloud place, and the password to THAT is shared with my wife and my sister.

I have a "deadman switch" set from Gmail. I have a doc that will be emailed to my wife. It has my passwords to my financial and online accounts. I will probably add my daughter when she turns 13, or 15.

Google reminds me every few months, so I can update anything I need. If I don't respond in two weeks, it will send out the email.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 12, 2017 06:30AM
....to bad Wonder Twin powers no longer work......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 12, 2017 05:47PM
Rolando
cbelt3

I have a "deadman switch" set from Gmail. I have a doc that will be emailed to my wife. It has my passwords to my financial and online accounts. I will probably add my daughter when she turns 13, or 15.

Google reminds me every few months, so I can update anything I need. If I don't respond in two weeks, it will send out the email.

Nice
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 12, 2017 11:14PM
Carm
Rolando
cbelt3

Nice[/quote

[consumerist.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 167
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018