Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU on swapping MBP hard drives
Posted by: mstudio
Date: December 14, 2017 08:51AM
[forums.macresource.com]

So, more problems than expected. I maxed the RAM in the 2012 version and installed the drive from the 2011. Super slow, lots of beachballs (a Samsung SSD). I reinstalled the original drive back into the 2012, it ran fine, put the Samsung back in the 2011 and it ran fine. Thinking that there may be something in the operating system from the 2011 that was missing or not compatible with the 2012, I bought a new SSD for the 2012. Connected it externally to load system, installed in the 2012 and it was not seen. Put it in the 2011 and it saw it and ran fine. I deduced it was the hard drive cable in the 2012. Installed a new one and now the 2012 is fast and great. I then migrated the 2011 over to the new drive in the 2012 and all is well. After running for a week, my wife is very happy with her "new" Mac.

Thanks again to all that responded to my original post.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU on swapping MBP hard drives
Posted by: Winston
Date: December 14, 2017 09:35AM
mstudio
[forums.macresource.com]

I deduced it was the hard drive cable in the 2012. Installed a new one and now the 2012 is fast and great.

We've had to replace the hard drive cable in three or four unibody MBPs when the drive was changed. It's a good idea to put a bit of electrical tape under the cable on the hard edge of the DVD drive, where the hard drive cable folds over to go down into the hard drive bay. The later models have a slightly beefier hard drive cable, but from your experience they still suffer from that bend.

The bend in the hard drive cable is between the two red circled screws in this photo, on the lower edge of the DVD drive. Put the tape on the DVD drive (not on the cable) under that bend:

Photo credit to iFixit's guide to 2010 MBP hard drive replacement.
[www.ifixit.com]

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 206
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015