Spiff
@#*&%.

Heads need to roll.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FCC votes to end Net Neutrality
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 14, 2017 01:32PM
"The debate ran along party lines"

The fake word of the year should have been "bipartisan legislation" -- cause its not a real thing.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 14, 2017 01:37PM
expect to see the increase in your bill soon.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 14, 2017 01:37PM
Y’all boys must understand I’m getting dimmer as days go by, but I’ve tried to figure out this mess, and I don’t know what might change. To a certain degree, isn’t the current law new? Just since when it was enact in 2015? I haven’t seen much change in internet since way back, except speed got better and costs have increased. I know prices will surely rise and I hope speed and competition increases. In America I’ve alway has only one ISP company, KomKast. Okay, I might be wrong. I thought I was one time, but I was mistaken.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 14, 2017 01:57PM
This was all but a done deal on November 8, 2016.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 02:03PM by Speedy.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 14, 2017 02:05PM
Americans, meanwhile, are wondering what will become of the internet and their ability to access all that it provides. Fears have risen that, without the net neutrality rules in place, companies such as Verizon will seek to manipulate broadband access in a variety of ways, including by blocking or slowing down access to certain websites and services. More than ever, it is necessary for the public to serve as watchdogs over their internet providers now that the FCC has shed itself of that responsibility.

Experts who’ve spoken to Gizmodo contend that this is unlikely to happen right out of the gate—despite the fact that the industry has spent vast sums of money solely to gain the power to do so. As the courts review the FCC order, ISPs may be wary of taking any immediate action, as doing so could give the court cause to issue a stay, which would prevent the order from going into effect until after a verdict is rendered. But make no mistake, ISPs will act.

“You have to be awfully naive to think they’re going to dump money on armies of lobbyists for years and years to rollback these rules and not change their behavior. It just seems kind of crazy to think that,” Kurt Walters, campaign director of Demand Progress, told Gizmodo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 05:14PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: kap
Date: December 14, 2017 02:33PM
How is that we "invented" the internet, Mac/iPhone, Windows, WiFi, what have you but we are not the nation with the highest number of internet users and fastest internet connection? And now fighting for net neutrality?

SoCal for now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 02:34PM by kap.
Date: December 14, 2017 02:42PM
kap
How is that we "invented" the internet, Mac/iPhone, Windows, WiFi, what have you but we are not the nation with the highest number of internet users and fastest internet connection? And now fighting for net neutrality?

$$$$$$

Date: December 14, 2017 02:47PM
Speedy
kap

$$$$$$

I get that they are in business for profit; not charity. So are other industrialized nations. Maybe US citizens are bigger suckers. SMH. How much does it cost to an internet user in ROC?

SoCal for now.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 14, 2017 02:52PM
Don't know about ROC (aka, China, unless that would be Taiwan?), but in Japan, it's a lot cheaper and faster service with a lot of choices. But, America is HUGE! Japan has customers stacked per square hectare. Space in America, much open space. I don't think it's so much Americans being suckers, we just don't have much choice in America, and same reason trains don't work in America - space! It's a big country compared to so many other high tech places.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: December 14, 2017 03:05PM
Is there a way to charge per link clicked…

Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 14, 2017 03:08PM
GuyGene
Don't know about ROC (aka, China, unless that would be Taiwan?), but in Japan, it's a lot cheaper and faster service with a lot of choices. But, America is HUGE! Japan has customers stacked per square hectare. Space in America, much open space. I don't think it's so much Americans being suckers, we just don't have much choice in America, and same reason trains don't work in America - space! It's a big country compared to so many other high tech places.

Yeah, we have low population densities, even in most our cities. The exceptions being Manhattan, San Francisco, and perhaps parts of Chicago.

The population density of Seoul is simply beyond comprehension until you've been there and seen it.
Date: December 14, 2017 03:09PM
Population density of cities has nothing to do with net neutrality.

Date: December 14, 2017 03:11PM
Speedy

It has everything to do though with how much it costs an ISP to provide service for a customer.
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 14, 2017 03:12PM
jdc

The fake word of the year should have been "bipartisan legislation" -- cause its not a real thing.

This wasn't legislation either.

It was rule change by fiat.
Date: December 14, 2017 03:19PM
pdq
jdc

This wasn't legislation either.

It was rule change by fiat.

This is technically called "Administrative Law", which is far more common than "Statutory laws". The most common type of law is of course "Common Law".
Date: December 14, 2017 03:21PM
freeradical
Speedy

It has everything to do though with how much it costs an ISP to provide service for a customer.
l

Hardly. The infrastructure is already in-place. Just like Ma Bell's. Treat it like a utility. Why should we have the costliest internet access in the developed world? The ISP's were not exactly going broke under the current rules.

Posted by: jonny
Date: December 14, 2017 03:51PM
Speedy
freeradical
Speedy

l

Hardly. The infrastructure is already in-place. Just like Ma Bell's. Treat it like a utility. Why should we have the costliest internet access in the developed world? The ISP's were not exactly going broke under the current rules.
agree smiley
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 14, 2017 04:06PM
Enjoy the lack of Net Neutrality while you can. This will be reversed soon enough.
Date: December 14, 2017 04:17PM
vision63
Enjoy the lack of Net Neutrality while you can. This will be reversed soon enough.

Perhaps, that experience will light the fire under the users' ... to fight harder to reverse the ruling and maintain its status for good.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: jonny
Date: December 14, 2017 04:29PM
I have yet to hear a single sensible reason for repealing it. Not to mention how much time, money and air the process has taken.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 14, 2017 04:42PM
kap
vision63

Perhaps, that experience will light the fire under the users' ... to fight harder to reverse the ruling and maintain its status for good.

The lawsuits are already starting to fly. Scott Weiner of California is introducing a bill that would require Net Neutrality in that state. Other states are ramping up I believe.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 14, 2017 04:58PM
When I tried to describe it to my in-laws, I said,"Imagine that you need to call Sears or Walmart, but when you call you receive a recorded message that you're phone service no longer provides calls to commercial establishments, or that you'll only be able to communicate in one direction. You can hear them, but they can't hear you...unless you pay an additional fee.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: December 14, 2017 05:47PM
ztirffritz
When I tried to describe it to my in-laws, I said,"Imagine that you need to call Sears or Walmart, but when you call you receive a recorded message that you're phone service no longer provides calls to commercial establishments, or that you'll only be able to communicate in one direction. You can hear them, but they can't hear you...unless you pay an additional fee.

Does it sound like the technical support fee per incident?

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 05:48PM by kap.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 14, 2017 05:54PM
is there a good analogy between internet connection and roads? let me try.

we have toll free and tool roads. We all pay the gasoline tax for the toll free, which is like the standard ISP fee. But then on some roads we have to pay extra, probably the same with some web sites.

Then we have roads where certain vehicles are not allowed (cars only, no trucks). I would guess ISPs will find a way to implement some restrictions so that only certain types of computers can visit certain web sites.

Then we have speed limits, traffic jams, road closures, etc. no need to continue the analogy here.
Date: December 14, 2017 06:03PM
Speedy
freeradical
Speedy

l

Ma Bell was allowed to charge exorbitant rates on long distance calls which was used to subsidize the extremely expensive copper wire infrastructure from people's homes to the DCO. IIRC, that copper cable was something like 70-80% of Ma Bell's capital.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 14, 2017 07:54PM
Calm down. If your ISP blocks or surcharges your desired content, just vote with your wallet and move your service over to an ISP that won't. This assumes that you have more than one ISP available. And that the other ISP isn't doing the same thing to the same or other content you desire. In which case, just move to a location that does have an ISP that doesn't block or surcharge the content you want, though that may be hard to find since the FCC rules overrule local rules. If that doesn't work, start your own community ISP, assuming your state hasn't outlawed that. Or, invite another ISP to town, assuming the existing ISPs will let graciously the new ISP use existing poles to hang their lines. Failing all that, move to Canada. EASY PEAZY!
Date: December 14, 2017 08:22PM
What does Canada citizenship entail? Duel citizenship will work.

====

Acer
Calm down. If your ISP blocks or surcharges your desired content, just vote with your wallet and move your service over to an ISP that won't. This assumes that you have more than one ISP available. And that the other ISP isn't doing the same thing to the same or other content you desire. In which case, just move to a location that does have an ISP that doesn't block or surcharge the content you want, though that may be hard to find since the FCC rules overrule local rules. If that doesn't work, start your own community ISP, assuming your state hasn't outlawed that. Or, invite another ISP to town, assuming the existing ISPs will let graciously the new ISP use existing poles to hang their lines. Failing all that, move to Canada. EASY PEAZY!

SoCal for now.
Posted by: numbered
Date: December 14, 2017 08:31PM
freeradical
Ma Bell was allowed to charge exorbitant rates on long distance calls which was used to subsidize the extremely expensive copper wire infrastructure from people's homes to the DCO. IIRC, that copper cable was something like 70-80% of Ma Bell's capital.

This, along with the fact that all the telcos were paid a fixed rate return with no risk, as well as full depreciation on the fixed plant. Many people think we paid plenty for the infrastructure.

In other countries competing ISPs are allowed to use the infrastructure. This is why rates are low. We had that same regulation in the US until the FCC under Bush II believed big telco when they said that if they did not have to compete they would invest in new network technology. Right.
Date: December 14, 2017 08:55PM
vision63
kap
vision63

The lawsuits are already starting to fly. Scott Weiner of California is introducing a bill that would require Net Neutrality in that state. Other states are ramping up I believe.

A provision in the rule keeps states from enacting their own regulations requiring NN. And Sen. Thune (R-SD) plans to introduce legislation regarding NN. I do not expect any legislation to result in NN like that we are going to soon lose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 217
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018