advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Problem updating Airport Extreme firmware?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 16, 2017 10:48PM
My AE started flashing yellow, so I ran the firmware updater. However, I got a cryptic message telling me there was some sort of problem in doing the update. I lost internet access on my MBP, and I had to tell my MBP to find my router. When I restarted Airport Utility, it tells me that it's running version 7.7.9 firmware. The router now has a green light. Should I assume that all is good?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Problem updating Airport Extreme firmware?
Posted by: billb
Date: December 16, 2017 10:59PM
7.7.9 for the tower
7.6.9 for the pancake

in airport utility control-click on the tower icon for some info

solid non-blinking green is good

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: December 16, 2017 11:12PM
My Express is running 7.6.8 so I guess I still need to update that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2017 11:15PM by freeradical.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: December 17, 2017 02:08AM
My pancake update went fine
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 17, 2017 05:37AM
How did they push out an update for it if the development tea is disbanded?
Posted by: billb
Date: December 17, 2017 06:09AM
davemchine
How did they push out an update for it if the new product development team is disbanded?

support team is still kicking

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 17, 2017 08:39AM
My tower was blinking last night. Went to the utility tool on my phone and commanded an update, which went without a hitch. Version is showing 7.7.9 today.

Makes me think there was a bad zero-day they found and determined it was a critical patch, but that's just supposition on my part.

UPDATE: Yeah, it's a patch for the KRACK exploit, thus kind of important. [support.apple.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 09:06AM by Will Collier.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 17, 2017 09:22AM
freeradical
My AE started flashing yellow, so I ran the firmware updater. However, I got a cryptic message telling me there was some sort of problem in doing the update. I lost internet access on my MBP, and I had to tell my MBP to find my router. When I restarted Airport Utility, it tells me that it's running version 7.7.9 firmware. The router now has a green light. Should I assume that all is good?

Had the EXACT same sequence of events (except with an iMac). All seems fine now.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 17, 2017 11:05AM
Will Collier
UPDATE: Yeah, it's a patch for the KRACK exploit, thus kind of important. [support.apple.com]

Nice to see they support 7-8 year old devices. Mine is model 2009 I think, I am very surprised they released an update for this model.
Date: December 17, 2017 02:20PM
Skynet 1 started blinking amber a little while ago, so I updated it. That software update gave me no weird messages, however, after the update, the router was solid amber and would not respond. I tried doing a hard reset by pushing in the little button at the back, but no joy. So, I unplugged it for about 15 seconds, and then plugged it back in. That did the trick. I can't ever remember a firmware update that didn't go perfectly smoothly. The new AAPL...
Posted by: Schpark
Date: December 17, 2017 05:19PM
One of my Mom's 3 airport express units was bricked with this firmware update. Couldn't even see it via ethernet after factory reset attempt. The other two and the replacement unit (luckily had a spare) updated without a problem.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 17, 2017 08:41PM
freeradical
Skynet 1 started blinking amber a little while ago, so I updated it. That software update gave me no weird messages, however, after the update, the router was solid amber and would not respond. I tried doing a hard reset by pushing in the little button at the back, but no joy. So, I unplugged it for about 15 seconds, and then plugged it back in. That did the trick. I can't ever remember a firmware update that didn't go perfectly smoothly. The new AAPL...

I have the latest AEBS and mine required unplugging, too, though my Express (also the latest) handled the firmware just fine. I also had to reboot my modem, then reboot the AEBS by unplugging.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 170
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020