advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amazon price gouging
Posted by: Wags
Date: December 17, 2017 12:38PM
Lately I've been looking at flashlights on Amazon. One in particular is the high end stupidly expensive Zebra. They had it priced for me at $110. When I checked the Zebra site it was listed there for $89. So today I cleared out all the tracking info on Safari and went back to Amazon anonymously. Price came up at $89. Further, after scrolling through the list of similar offers there was nothing priced at $110. I guess that was my special price.

Signed back in, entered the same search data. Pops back up for $110.

Wow.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amazon price gouging
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 17, 2017 12:45PM
.....yes, back in the day, at the very least their price were similar to in-store at most places......now, their prices are ridiculous....they sell staples toilet paper, laundry detergent, etc.....sometimes twice the price depending if something is easily available in-store......

.......once they had Wisk like over $10.....in-store you could get it for $3.99-$4.99....that is why stopped shopping their....their price are always above....way above other places.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: December 17, 2017 12:45PM
I've installed honey add-on to chrome to see if the higher is price because it is linked to a particular seller or if Amazon is just favoring the higher price for favor its own margin.
Sometimes it seems the prime price is just higher and sometimes it doesn't.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 17, 2017 01:22PM
can you please post screenshots? I tried many times to catch Amazon doing this but I was never able to prove it. Every time I asked here for independent check, the price was the same like I saw.

Even if they did that, would it be illegal?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 17, 2017 01:27PM
If you have prime they may be showing you the cheapest prime seller. I’d like to see screen shots as well.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: gabester
Date: December 17, 2017 01:31PM
In light of this, Amazon really ought to have an online way to get price guarantee refunds. From at least a few years ago, I vaguely recall them having some offer about this, automatically adjusting the price you paid if their price went down within 30 days of purchase... but no longer can such info be found. You can return an item for a refund, but not to get a matched price...

I did find this:

The Amazon.com customer-service number is 1-800-201-7575; to get a human right away, dial extension 7 and ask about that 30-day price guarantee.

Perhaps you are wondering: What 30-day price guarantee? Like Amazon's customer-service number itself, the 30-day price guarantee is not something Amazon publicizes. For instance, it isn't mentioned on the "Refunds" page. If you click here you'll learn all about Amazon's 30-day returns policy, which provides a full refund for most unopened items returned within 30 days. But that's different from the 30-day price guarantee, which requires only that you pay attention to whether Amazon lowers its price within 30 days after you purchase your item. If it does, Amazon will refund you the difference. No need to box up your purchase or fret about receiving only a partial refund because you removed the plastic wrap.

A couple of reference links.

They'll match a reduced price on their site within 7 days of shipping it.

No more price match refunds?

I have an item impacted by this that I ought to take action on right now. While it may not even be worth my time to get $3 back... it's the principal of the thing!
Date: December 17, 2017 01:38PM
Speaking about prime matches, is this thing happening anywhere else outside US?

I rarely use price matches, in fact the way I view it, is store A has the item for a higher price than store B, then it is my responsibility to drive to store B to get the better price. I don't think store A owes me any favor.

Wife on the other hand... just today we went to Target, they had a toy for $80 in store (we got the last one), but online the price was $63. She showed the phone at the register, they adjusted the price accordingly. But, it was the same store, just brick vs online. Again I don't think Target really had any obligation to do this.
C(-)ris
If you have prime they may be showing you the cheapest prime seller. I’d like to see screen shots as well.

Both were Prime
Posted by: Lemon Drop
No idea if this is similar to the OP's example, but here's what I just found - would love a good new flashlight but wasn't planning to spend 100 bucks. The one at zebra looks like a good deal.

[www.zebralight.com]
$59 for the
Zebralight SC52 L2 AA Flashlight

Third party seller: [www.amazon.com]

$129.00 for the

It looks like this is a discontinued, older model product, so Zebra is discounting it. However on their website nothing has a MSRP higher than $99, even the newest stuff. So yes I'd say this third party Amazon seller's price is not competitive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 01:39PM by Lemon Drop.
Date: December 17, 2017 01:39PM
Wags
C(-)ris

Both were Prime

They may have been different sellers.

I sometimes sell stuff on Amazon. If you put my item in your cart and I increase the price, then you can come with a different browser a fee minutes later and Amazon will show you stuff from another seller, at a lower price. In fact I think they try to help you.
Date: December 17, 2017 01:41PM
Lemon Drop
No idea if this is similar to the OP's example, but here's what I just found - would love a good new flashlight but wasn't planning to spend 100 bucks. The one at zebra looks like a good deal.

[www.zebralight.com]
$59 for the

$129.00 for the

It looks like this is a discontinued, older model product, so Zebra is discounting it. However on their website nothing has a MSRP higher than $99, even the newest stuff. So yes I'd say this third party Amazon seller's price is not competitive.

Yes, 3rd party seller (SO Electronics) is selling this, Amazon has no control over this price.
Date: December 17, 2017 01:45PM
Wags
C(-)ris

Both were Prime

Actually, they were showing me the most expensive offer with the tracking data, without the tracking data the cheaper one is offered.
Date: December 17, 2017 01:50PM
space-time
Lemon Drop

[www.zebralight.com]
$59 for the

$129.00 for the

Yes, 3rd party seller (SO Electronics) is selling this, Amazon has no control over this price.

Last month Amazon began discounting selected third party seller prices for sellers that use Amazon distribution services. The seller can opt out, but it's a very aggressive and experimental new pricing strategy that will be interesting to watch.
Date: December 17, 2017 01:54PM
Lemon Drop

This is the one ended up with. Bright as all get out.

[www.amazon.com]

Plus batteries, I got these:

[www.amazon.com]
Date: December 17, 2017 02:01PM
Wags
Lemon Drop

This is the one ended up with. Bright as all get out.

[www.amazon.com]

Plus batteries, I got these:

[www.amazon.com]

thanks wags I will check that out
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 17, 2017 02:51PM
Wags, what was the original product code and/or exact product info? It took me several searches to find a $120 "Zebralight" product, but I also found it listed for $75.

Zebralight SC600Fd Mk III Plus XHP50 - 74.95

Zebralight SC600 MK3 - $78

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: December 17, 2017 03:44PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Wags, what was the original product code and/or exact product info? It took me several searches to find a $120 "Zebralight" product, but I also found it listed for $75.

Zebralight SC600Fd Mk III Plus XHP50 - 74.95

Zebralight SC600 MK3 - $78

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 17, 2017 03:54PM
Date: December 17, 2017 03:56PM
Filliam, when I'm signed in to Amazon and I click the link I just posted above it pops up with the $110 price, displayed.

I deleted the tracking data from Safari, quit, reopened and clicked the link above again, this time where the price had been displayed it now says add to cart to see price. Again, $110. Seem to be pretty blatant pricing manipulating to me. Your opinion may differ.
Date: December 17, 2017 03:57PM
Buzz
Anker 900 lumen rechargeable...
==

Not quite as bright but zoomable. Probably similar decent quality.
Date: December 17, 2017 04:06PM
Here's what you get when you click the link where the price was when I was signed in:

Price: $110.00 & FREE Shipping
Because our price on this item is lower than the manufacturer's suggested retail price, the manufacturer does not allow us to show you our price until you place the item in your shopping cart. Retailers like Amazon have the legal right to set their own prices independently. Adding the item to your cart allows Amazon to show you our price consistent with our goal of always offering you the lowest possible prices on the widest selection of products.
Adding this item won't require you to purchase the product. You can easily remove it from your cart if you decide not to buy it.

We realize that this is an inconvenience and are regularly working to educate manufacturers on how their policies impact our customers. We welcome your comments and suggestions in our forum on this topic.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 17, 2017 04:12PM
I never see only one item when I search Amazon. I get a list of items that can be sorted from low to high, or for relevance, or for reviews.

I have been getting stupid low prices on Amazon so do not wish to complain. It does seems as if they are adjusting prices for me, but to way cheap. Seems like every time I tell someone that they can get something for xxx on Amazon, it turns out that the price is now twice to three times as much as I paid for it.

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: December 17, 2017 04:12PM
Wags
Filliam, when I'm signed in to Amazon and I click the link I just posted above it pops up with the $110 price, displayed.

I deleted the tracking data from Safari, quit, reopened and clicked the link above again, this time where the price had been displayed it now says add to cart to see price. Again, $110. Seem to be pretty blatant pricing manipulating to me. Your opinion may differ.
It sucks, but would ‘super granular’ supply and demand pricing be considered illegal? My guess would be it would be ruled to be just a high tech version of Morrocan bazaar pricing, where the buyer has to be cagier using his tech than the seller.
Date: December 17, 2017 04:39PM
here is what I see. And this is PRIVATE WINDOW BROWSING. So we all pay $110. where do you see that link for $89?

Also this is sold by Andrew and Amanda

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 04:40PM by space-time.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 17, 2017 05:19PM
And I thought Amazon was supposed to make shopping easy.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 17, 2017 05:31PM
Date: December 17, 2017 05:43PM
space-time
here is what I see. And this is PRIVATE WINDOW BROWSING. So we all pay $110. where do you see that link for $89?

That price has now morphed into $105.

Here is the point I'm trying to get across, forget about flashlights. Your shopping experience at Amazon is manipulated with regard to price based on the tracking data they have gathered about you. If their algorithms decide you might pay a higher price then that's what they show you. This apparently happens on an individual basis in real time.
Date: December 17, 2017 05:51PM
Blankity Blank
Wags

It sucks, but would ‘super granular’ supply and demand pricing be considered illegal? My guess would be it would be ruled to be just a high tech version of Morrocan bazaar pricing, where the buyer has to be cagier using his tech than the seller.

Never said it was illegal, just a high tech way to gouge customers. I guess they are now so ginormous that normal constraints no longer apply.
Date: December 17, 2017 06:01PM
space-time

Also this is sold by Andrew and Amanda

I see that same flashlight in an Amazon Prime search for $78. Sold by Torchlight, delivered by Amazon.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 17, 2017 06:01PM
Like space-time, I don't see the $89 price. I only see the $110 price.

I figured out part of the price difference between B01IPRG364 (Wags) and B072MRK8FT (FHM). The ones I posted links for are without a 18650 battery or charger, and . A charger and 2 batteries is $13, so it ends up about $89.

Wags, you might be seeing the problem with the Amazon search engine (which I have complained about multiple times). If you can find the $89 listing again, look at which category is in and who the retailer is. B01IPRG364 comes up in "Tools & Home Improvement > Lighting & Ceiling Fans" from "Andrew & Amanda." and B072MRK8FT is in "Sports & Outdoors › Outdoor Recreation › Camping & Hiking › Lights & Lanterns › Headlamps" from "Torchlight." If Amazon had only one location they listed flashlights, it would simplify things a lot.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: December 17, 2017 06:05PM
Lemon Drop
I see that same flashlight in an Amazon Prime search for $78. Sold by Torchlight, delivered by Amazon.

Yes, same item, different sellers, they can even be listed on different product pages at amazon. Nothing wrong with that.

I used to sell stuff on Amazon. I was able to make new listings for a product, and I was able to set my own price. You could search for item "X" and you would see an Amazon listing, my listing, and probably a couple of other listings. Sometimes Amazon will merge some of these listings into a unified listing. Sometimes not.

No surprise you see the flashlight sold at $110 by Andrew and Amanda, and at $78 by Torchlight. Different vendors, different product listings.

I am not trying to defend Amazon. I long suspected they manipulate prices, and I tried really hard to catch them in the act. I was never abel to prove it.
Date: December 17, 2017 06:22PM
I am not trying to defend Amazon. I long suspected they manipulate prices, and I tried really hard to catch them in the act. I was never abel to prove it.

You don't have to prove it, it's been well known for years that Amazon (and many other online retailers) use dynamic pricing, and customers in different locations and on different devices, in different browsers, at different times of day and with different search and purchasing histories are going to see very different price offerings, on the same products. It's not just Amazon, airlines are notorious for this.

Most Amazon customers take whatever appears in the buy box. Though it may not be the best deal on their site. That's why they are now the richest retailer on the planet. They have mastered the algorithms and the big data on consumer behavior.
Date: December 17, 2017 06:31PM
Lemon Drop

You don't have to prove it, it's been well known for years that Amazon (and many other online retailers) use dynamic pricing, and customers in different locations and on different devices, in different browsers, at different times of day and with different search and purchasing histories are going to see very different price offerings, on the same products. It's not just Amazon, airlines are notorious for this.

Most Amazon customers take whatever appears in the buy box. Though it may not be the best deal on their site. That's why they are now the richest retailer on the planet. They have mastered the algorithms and the big data on consumer behavior.

Yes.

And now those same algorithms are being applied to political agendas.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: December 17, 2017 06:48PM
space-time

Well, camelcamelcamel reports it was $89 for the last couple of months, looks like price jumped up recently. [camelcamelcamel.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: December 17, 2017 06:58PM
ok - now I know. Use safari with a non-private window to get the best price. I see $78 in the regualar window, put into cart in a private window or any other browser I use.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: December 17, 2017 07:04PM
Buzz
Anker 900 lumen rechargeable...
==

Sweet, thanks Buzz, just ordered one! I’m a big Anker fanboy.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Date: December 17, 2017 07:44PM
Mike Johnson
space-time

Well, camelcamelcamel reports it was $89 for the last couple of months, looks like price jumped up recently. [camelcamelcamel.com]

Price jumped up this afternoon, likely due to y'all clicking on the link and prompting the AI to jack up the price.
Date: December 17, 2017 11:14PM
I get XHP35 for $110 and Honey says that's the best price - sold by andrew and amanda
and XHP 50 for $74.95 and is supposedly the best price - sold by torchlight

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Date: December 18, 2017 12:00AM
billb
I get XHP35 for $110 and Honey says that's the best price - sold by andrew and amanda

[www.zebralight.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 18, 2017 06:54AM

Price jumped up this afternoon, likely due to y'all clicking on the link and prompting the AI to jack up the price.

......yes, Amazon does that all the time.....as activity rises so does price....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: December 18, 2017 10:54AM
Wags
billb

[www.zebralight.com]

That's not Amazon and it's not Andrew and Amanda

What does Zebralight charge for shipping and handling ?
Because that is your real out of pocket cost.

I'm not filling out that long page of purchasing forms to find out the shipping and handling costs and hence the real price.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 18, 2017 01:06PM
Date: December 18, 2017 02:20PM
billb

I'm not filling out that long page of purchasing forms to find out the shipping and handling costs and hence the real price.

You could try scrolling the bottom of the page where it says "free shipping worldwide". Just a thought.
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: December 18, 2017 09:31PM
Buzz, (I’m not quoting that huge picture)
I’ve been using one of those for 3 years, best flashlight I’ve ever had.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015