advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Electrifying news from Toyota
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 18, 2017 02:55PM
Toyota plans to offer at least 10 purely battery-powered vehicles starting in 2020. It also plans to have either a hybrid or a fully electric version of every car it sells by 2025.

Toyota made the announcement at a Tokyo press conference Monday

[techcrunch.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Electrifying news from Toyota
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 18, 2017 07:50PM
It seems ambitious for a company that prides itself on mostly bland vehicles but it might be a good move. I drive my car very little (toyota) and an all electric would work fine for me.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 18, 2017 07:55PM
davemchine
It seems ambitious for a company that prides itself on mostly bland vehicles but it might be a good move. I drive my car very little (toyota) and an all electric would work fine for me.

I drive a Gen 1 Volt and so far I used 2.2 gallons of gas for 1000 miles. about 0.7 G was used when I got the car home from dealer.

I am a little obsessed about charging, I often run down to the last few miles but I recharge daily at work. I would love a car that could go longer on battery then switch to gas, say 75-100 miles on battery then switch to gas. Maybe a Chevy Volt Gen 3 or 4 can achieve that.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 18, 2017 08:04PM
"I would love a car that could go longer on battery then switch to gas, say 75-100 miles on battery then switch to gas"

It's just their choice to not currently put that size of a battery pack in an auto at this time. They could if they wanted to.

A Tesla can go about 300 on batteries, and a 2017 plug-in Prius @22 on battery alone. Just need to split the difference.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 18, 2017 08:30PM
up to 1 million cars by 2030
they make 10 million cars a year so almost 1%

Ford builds about 6 million+ vehicles a year and is touting 10% numbers

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2017 10:02PM by billb.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: December 18, 2017 09:00PM
I love my Prius Prime. It gets about 26 miles on a charge, and since my commute is 32 miles a day, I only fill up once every five weeks. If my work ever installs the chargers they've been promising, I'll be damn near gas-less.
Posted by: Wags
Date: December 18, 2017 10:06PM
space-time
davemchine

I drive a Gen 1 Volt and so far I used 2.2 gallons of gas for 1000 miles. about 0.7 G was used when I got the car home from dealer.

I am a little obsessed about charging, I often run down to the last few miles but I recharge daily at work. I would love a car that could go longer on battery then switch to gas, say 75-100 miles on battery then switch to gas. Maybe a Chevy Volt Gen 3 or 4 can achieve that.

How far can it go on battery?
Date: December 18, 2017 10:09PM
Spec is 35 miles, I got the car in October and I used to get 35, but now with cold weather it dropped to 27. Still OK since my commute is 4 miles, 4x per day.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 18, 2017 10:19PM
I didn't know they got that good. I thought spec was 22. My 2013 PIP spec is 11, but its closer to 13 on battery alone.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 18, 2017 10:57PM
In five years most vehicles will have some sort of battery propulsion and regenerative braking. It's inevitable.

I doubt if there will be a Gen 3 Volt. The Volt has had its day in the sun. The Bolt easily outsells it now. But GM will make a successor to the Volt that will have a range extender of some sort.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2017 10:57PM by Speedy.
Date: December 19, 2017 01:23AM
Racer X
I didn't know they got that good. I thought spec was 22. My 2013 PIP spec is 11, but its closer to 13 on battery alone.

Volt 2 spec is eve better, 53 (yes, 53) miles on battery. I believe the battery capacity is slightly larger than Volt 1, not much, yet the range jump from 35 to 53.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: December 19, 2017 06:51AM
Electric drivetrains are less expensive to build and maintain. The battery pricing is dropping fast. Within 5 years, electric cars will cost less than gas cars. Electricity is 2-3 cents per mile to operate.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 19, 2017 07:17AM
....with or without Takata airbags.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 19, 2017 04:55PM
Ken Sp.
Electric drivetrains are less expensive to build and maintain. The battery pricing is dropping fast. Within 5 years, electric cars will cost less than gas cars. Electricity is 2-3 cents per mile to operate.

And unlike gasoline, you can make your own electricity.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 19, 2017 05:30PM
I get about 40 in the summer with my 2013 Volt. It plummets in winter though to about 30.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: December 19, 2017 05:50PM
ztirffritz
I get about 40 in the summer with my 2013 Volt. It plummets in winter though to about 30.

mine is 2014, 10,500 miles (about 2500 on gas, rest electric) and n Winter it plummets to 27.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 19, 2017 06:41PM
Our Volt drops to 25 all-electric. But given that the ICE runs below 15F it is not a big deal. And my wife's work is 10 miles each way so all-electric for those warmer winter days.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 20, 2017 06:38PM
Yeah it goes even lower when it gets REALLY cold. We were at around 0° for quite a while last winter and I was in the low 20s for EV range.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018