advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pre-purchase F/U: Asus router doesn't play nicely w/Mac networked printers??
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: December 19, 2017 12:53PM
Thanks for all the advice about replacing my aging router. I've narrowed my choices to two Asus routers but am leery about reports that Asus doesn't play nicely with networked Macs. Can anyone chime in on this? Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pre-purchase F/U: Asus router doesn't play nicely w/Mac networked printers??
Posted by: clay
Date: December 19, 2017 12:55PM
what sort of Mac/printer setup are you referring to?

I have 4 Macs and a brother laser printer on our home network (2 ASUS routers). The printer is plugged directly into the network (via ethernet) and we have never had any issues.
Re: Pre-purchase F/U: Asus router doesn't play nicely w/Mac networked printers??
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 19, 2017 12:58PM
Which models. And by "network" do you mean wired or wireless? Or via the USB port?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 19, 2017 01:01PM
clay
what sort of Mac/printer setup are you referring to?

I have 4 Macs and a brother laser printer on our home network (2 ASUS routers). The printer is plugged directly into the network (via ethernet) and we have never had any issues.
Right now I have a Brother MFC printer connected via hard wire to my (old) router. A Mac Pro, two Mac Books and a PC access the Brother printer via wifi.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 19, 2017 02:01PM
prym,

If you're talking connecting the printer to the router via USB, then yeah, you'll likely have issues. That's a problem with most any non-apple router. However, if the printer is connected to the router via ethernet, then you shouldn't have any trouble. Same goes if you connect the printer to the network via wifi.

Robert
Date: December 19, 2017 02:08PM
Robert M
prym,

If you're talking connecting the printer to the router via USB, then yeah, you'll likely have issues. That's a problem with most any non-apple router. However, if the printer is connected to the router via ethernet, then you shouldn't have any trouble. Same goes if you connect the printer to the network via wifi.

Robert
Ah ha -- right you are. It's been so long since last setup, I forgot. The Brother printer is indeed connected to the existing router via Ethernet. Thank you.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 19, 2017 02:49PM
.....Airport Express works great for printer.....had mine connected for years now.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Buck
Date: December 19, 2017 03:28PM
I have an ASUS router and 2 HP Wifi printers. It just works!
No problems. If it doesn't work it must be the settings.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 19, 2017 04:21PM
Buck

I suppose a WiFi connected printer would be akin to one hardwired via Ethernet. Seems like rub lies in USB connections to printers.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 19, 2017 08:29PM
mikebw
Buck

I suppose a WiFi connected printer would be akin to one hardwired via Ethernet. Seems like rub lies in USB connections to printers.

I used my Asus router to network an ancient Brother USB/Serial printer for a few years. (My current printers both have Ethernet and WiFi.) Biggest problem as I recall was simply that I had to look up the name of the printer queue on the router and set it up as a TCP/IP printer whenever I set up network printing on a Mac.

Date: December 19, 2017 09:27PM
Thanks, folks. This is very helpful. I knew I could count on the group!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 20, 2017 09:32AM
prymsnap

Would you mind sharing which Asus model you are considering? I am wanting to upgrade my wireless network too.
Date: December 20, 2017 12:15PM
mikebw
prymsnap

Would you mind sharing which Asus model you are considering? I am wanting to upgrade my wireless network too.

Right now looking at AC88U or AC3100. It's confusing though -- it appears that the two are essentially the same except the AC88U has more ports (not an issue for me) and apparently has an easier set-up protocol.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 21, 2017 03:26PM
$270 vs $10 a month rental = 27 months, so you gotta stay with comcast for more than 27 months to break even... and hope whatever it lasts at least 27 months before breaking or stop being supported by comcast...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 199
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015