advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you play First-person shooter games?
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 23, 2017 05:04PM
Just curious. How many of you that have been fighting in a real war (I think we have some veterans here) would be interested in playing such a game. And how many of the First-person shooter players would even have the courage to go fight in a real war?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you play First-person shooter games?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 23, 2017 05:07PM
.....isn't that just called.....maturborktion....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 23, 2017 05:40PM
It is my contention that many of the Tier 1 operators could handily wipe out computer gamers. I know a few that played for days and days online during down time in the Sandbox. Combined with knowledge of REAL strategy and tactics, they'd win. One actually was a play tester for M$ and Nintendo for a while after coming back stateside.

I know of a British SAS squaddie who was tech advisor for Battlefield 3 from EA Dice. [www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 06:16PM by Racer X.
Posted by: rz
Date: December 23, 2017 06:12PM
Not really a gamer, so not me.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: December 23, 2017 06:42PM
I am a vet. No, I do not play those games.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 23, 2017 06:44PM
Around 1999 I used to do Rogue Spear/Rainbow Six/Raven/Shield/Black Thorn via the online community Gameranger. It is an application that you loaded into your mac that allowed you to host/join games, just with a few clicks.

RS had fast, seamless gaming even on a slow connection -- and it had an excellent interface with simple controls and maps that were easy to learn.
Hours and hours and hours of fun. Prob played for several years. Had a handle, joined a clan even.

I never made the jump to the next big game, whcih was Ghost Recon. Got too busy with work.

No idea if Rogue Spear even works on a mac, let alone Sierra. I think I have the CDs somewhere...

I know Gameranger is still around, can still log into my old account, but last time I was there it was all Call of Duty and mostly Europroean players.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 23, 2017 07:22PM
I play them. I used to play a lot more. In fact, I used to compete. Half of my team were service members. A founding member of the larger group was a Marine, and so we saw plenty of active personal at our events.

I do not think real world combat experience provides an advantage. Many of the tactics have little to do with the real world. For example, rotating the tip of your gun counter clockwise to negate artificial randomization of bullet placement so that they all land in one spot.

Another was stepping back and forth so that your hit box was rarely where your body is.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about [youtu.be]

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 07:27PM by M A V I C.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 23, 2017 07:36PM
No. No. No.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 23, 2017 09:56PM
I play a range of games. FPS, RPG, adventure/survival/strategy, occasionally a MMO. Not a veteran. Too young for Vietnam, a little old for Iraq.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: December 24, 2017 12:28AM
Love first person shooters.

Nope, not a vet.

Would fight in the military, as needed. BUT having talked to vets, heard many an interview and seen documentaries on war time experiences and the experience of vets both in service and post service, I have a crystal clear understanding that the dynamic is about as cut and dried as one could imagine.

A game is just that; fantasy hung ever so loosely on the general concept of a reality, but that’s all. Actual service, combat, sounds to be about as undiluted an expression of reality as one could possibly experience.

I have read a few reports, however, of some vets finding a degree of value in playing shooters to deal with PTSD. I’m guessing though in a context and setting a good bit different than the average players’ soda and snacks setting.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: December 26, 2017 09:42AM
Nope. Boring...every FPS game is basically the same with a different "skin".
You've played one, you've played them all. Just my opinion, though...

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 190
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015