advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Kitchen Sinks - Drop In or Undermount?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 24, 2017 10:17PM
so my kitchen remodel is happening next month and my brother is shocked - shocked i tell you - that i'm not getting a new kitchen sink. i'm doing the cabinets, countertop, and installing a dishwasher and OTR microwave. the frugal environmentalist who strives to reduce, reuse, recycle saw no reason to consider a new sink when the old one works just fine and won't i be using it less anyway since i'm getting a dishwasher?

but he's so appalled he's offering to pay for it so i've been looking at sinks at lower.com. other than aesthetics, why would someone get an undercount instead of a drop in? my counter top will be laminate in case that matters.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2017 10:17PM by graylocks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Kitchen Sinks - Drop In or Undermount?
Posted by: John B.
Date: December 24, 2017 10:28PM
I've never seen undermount with a laminate countertop...the wood substrate would be exposed unless some edging/banding was applied. Undermount typically implies a stone or composite countertop.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: December 24, 2017 10:30PM
I think with laminate I would go with the drop in. There will be exposed seams that might attract water. I went with an under mount since I have solid surface quartz counters. That being said, on our last house kitchen redo I kept my old sink which was in fine condition. Good luck.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 24, 2017 10:33PM
....sometimes just sink.....or swim.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: December 24, 2017 10:36PM
on a related tangent - if you haven't already considered this, think about getting a single bowl sink - much handier for handling large items, like baking dishes/pans
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 24, 2017 10:36PM
I'm with John B and mstudio--drop in. I think a pretty significant decision is the one-bowl vs. two and, if two, the relative size/depth of each. We went from a single bowl to a double with the right one being significantly smaller than the left. The left one is also deeper so it can easily deal with big pots.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: December 24, 2017 11:09PM
Drop in sink..end of thread. get the @#$%& out of here.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 24, 2017 11:46PM
Kraniac

huh? well, okay then. you have a good night there, kraniac.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: December 24, 2017 11:59PM
graylocks
Kraniac

huh? well, okay then. you have a good night there, kraniac.

It's a done deal, GL..the laminate top deal sews it right up..not a good idea

Zero wrong with a self rimming sink and if you can re-use the old one..awesome..

and happy holidays to you, my dear Gray.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 25, 2017 12:35AM
If you like your current sink you can keep your current sink.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 25, 2017 02:04AM
As mentioned, laminate counters did require a drop in sink exclusively, but there are some products that allow undermount sinks in laminates. They are not a "clean" install as they are in solid surface, but they can be installed. See here: Youtube Video Undermount Sink in Laminate. They require a "band" around the sink that sits between the sink and the laminate. Solid surface was pretty much the only option that allowed you to pick between the two. If you want to make it easier and reduce the cost, just get a drop in.

After looking at a couple of videos, the undermount install looks like more work that it should be. Also there might be a specific supplier that does undermount sinks for laminates.

Edit: As SDGuy mentioned, a single tub is another option to look at. Thats what we went with.

As for just aesthetics. Its also makes cleaning the counter-top easier, just drag and drop all the counter scraps into the sink, no worries about it getting caught in the edge between the lip of a drop in and the counter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2017 02:10AM by Carm.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 25, 2017 05:26AM
Top Mount would be the best choice, but there is a line of undermounts made for laminate - Karran. It requires a professional installation using specialized tools, and not all laminate installers will do it. So you would need to check with yours.

I would suggest keeping the sink you are happy with, but get a new faucet. Consider adding an air switch for your garbage disposal (if you have one), and perhaps an instant hot water dispenser.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 25, 2017 10:03AM
Did anybody say "drop-in"......... eye rolling smiley
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 25, 2017 10:10AM
Carm
As for just aesthetics. Its also makes cleaning the counter-top easier, just drag and drop all the counter scraps into the sink, no worries about it getting caught in the edge between the lip of a drop in and the counter.

But she is now getting a dishwasher. Open the dishwasher and drop all the counter scraps into the Dishwasher.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 25, 2017 05:08PM
I love laminate counters. Tried and true, been around forever, very durable, and affordable to change out on a few years if you want different color. And a drop in stainless steel double sink, which is easy to wash on right side, put in drain basket on left, and stainless steel and laminate counters won't break my nice coffee cups like marble, granite, etc.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 25, 2017 06:46PM
space-time
Carm

But she is now getting a dishwasher. Open the dishwasher and drop all the counter scraps into the Dishwasher.

smiley-laughing001
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 25, 2017 07:48PM
Carm
space-time
Carm

smiley-laughing001

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 26, 2017 08:57PM
Sounds like you have your answer but just for reference under mounting can mean a lower drain which in some cases means you won't have space for a disposal underneath anymore.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015