advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can I celebrate Kwanza?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 25, 2017 01:42AM
23andMe reports I have .01% Sub Saharan African DNA. So, do I qualify?

dunno smiley

I absolutely mean no one any offense. At what point can you claim something like this? My dad was 1/32 Blackfoot Indian. Does that make him a First Nation's member? (I'm adopted, so I'm not 1/64th, that I know of.)

Anyway, maybe too much eggnog for me.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2017 01:44AM by Racer X.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can I celebrate Kwanza?
Posted by: morlock
Date: December 25, 2017 02:00AM
To qualify as Oneida , you need to be 1/4 to get a monthly dividend check. I don't qualify, since I am 1/8 Oneida and 1/8 Menominee. If I go back 1000 years or so, I have Bacon in my blood, thanks to G(x16) Grandfather Ancetal de Bacon, Lord of Baconsthorpe. I guess it's pretty diluted by now, but I'm claiming it!

I say, celebrate whatever you want.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 25, 2017 02:10AM
morlock

Kwanzaa, in particular. Unity is the first principle and remembering the struggle of your ancestors is an important part of the celebration.

..You do know that it runs for 7 days, right? Dec 26th through January 1st. So, chugging eggnog tonight with a toast to your DNA is not properly observing the holiday.

Also, I would suggest avoiding the traditional clothing outside of your home as without the explanation of your DNA test that might be seen as cultural appropriation.

Date: December 25, 2017 02:12AM
Lord of Bacon(thorpe)!

My dad is a descendant of a Viking raider "Torvald the Lustful" Dad's mom did the geneology the hard way back in the 60s and 70s.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 25, 2017 02:28AM
I celebrate St. Patrick's and I'm not Irish.
I say go for it and celebrate diversity every way you can. In a good crowd you might learn something.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 25, 2017 05:18AM
I trace my lineage to Marie Grandin, a "Les Filles du Roi" - daughters of the King - sent by King Louis XIV of France in 1670 to help colonize his possessions in North America. I drink a bottle of French wine to salute her.

My wife has Mayan in her, and while she is fiercely proud of that heritage, to the best of my knowledge she has not ripped a beating heart from anyone recently (though she did steal mine many years ago)

Celebrate as you see fit, as long as you are sincere in your reasons for doing so.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: samintx
Date: December 25, 2017 06:53AM
Onamuji
morlock

Kwanzaa, in particular. Unity is the first principle and remembering the struggle of your ancestors is an important part of the celebration.

..You do know that it runs for 7 days, right? Dec 26th through January 1st. So, chugging eggnog tonight with a toast to your DNA is not properly observing the holiday.

ah, let the boy have his fun. You only get eggnog once a year. There are 6 more nights remaining he can behave...oh, wait. Maybe not...there is N.Y's eve. Darn.
Posted by: DP
Date: December 25, 2017 07:53AM
Everyone has sub-Saharan African in them! Is it "Lucy" that all humans extant have a DNA chunk of? Sorry, my anthropology is a little hazy this morning... My mother's family came to the New World in the late 1600s. Her ancestors were Quakers escaping the religious persecution in England and settled in Pennsylvania and spread to Maryland where my Mom was born. Havre de Grace, to be exact.

And, another vote for celebrating what you want! I'll toast to that later today!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 25, 2017 08:00AM
Sure is a great day to celebrate with deranged felons who torture naked women with batons, toasters and running water.
NTTAWWT

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2017 08:01AM by billb.
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 25, 2017 08:18AM
morlock
I have Bacon in my blood

That would be good enough for me!
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: December 25, 2017 09:29AM
Ombligo
Celebrate as you see fit, as long as you are sincere in your reasons for doing so.
There’s the sweet spot.

Sincere, genuine interest or curiosity — doesn’t have to even be on some deep, navel gazing level — go for it.

Frat boy ‘hur hur hur.... Look it me! I’m Kwanzaaing!’, well, nobody’s going to stop you, you’ll just look like a prat.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 25, 2017 09:59AM
billb
Sure is a great day to celebrate with deranged felons who torture naked women with batons, toasters and running water.
NTTAWWT

Ron Everett, AKA Maulana Ndabezitha Karenga, is quite the colorful figure!
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: December 25, 2017 12:05PM
morlock
If I go back 1000 years or so, I have Bacon in my blood, thanks to G(x16) Grandfather Ancetal de Bacon, Lord of Baconsthorpe. I guess it's pretty diluted by now, but I'm claiming it!

Not much to inherit, the castle is a ruin. A pretty ruin but still a ruin.

It's about 20 miles from me.

Paul

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 25, 2017 12:13PM
....Kevin Bacon.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 25, 2017 12:18PM
I say "YES YOU CAN"

Habari Gani!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 25, 2017 12:26PM
....not in your heart of hearts.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: December 25, 2017 01:12PM
It's kind of a philosophical question really. Are we who we physically are, or where/how we grew up?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Carm , Don C , max
Guests: 243
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015