advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The Pismo lives!
Posted by: mstudio
Date: December 26, 2017 09:58PM
We keep a Pismo running 9.1 around so my wife can play her vintage games, like Myst. It hadn't been started in sometime and it was not plugged in. I tried to start it the other day and it was totally dead. I did the disconnect the PRAM battery trick and it fired up. Couldn't locate a new PRAM battery so I pulled the main battery out and kept it plugged in for a few days. Re-installed the main battery and restarted, battery started charging and it is now working as well as it did before.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Pismo lives!
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: December 26, 2017 10:03PM
Cool---It was always weird that if the dead PRAM battery was connected=No Go, but disconnecting it lets it run???
Posted by: Buzz
Pismo Forever!
==
Posted by: sekker
Lazarus!

Funny, I visited my in-laws. They both have nice modern Mac laptops.

But they were using their old Blue G3 iMac to play their Triple Yahtzee.
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 26, 2017 10:34PM
I loved my Pismo; truly one of the BEST laptops Apple has ever made! boink smiley
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: December 26, 2017 10:52PM
I loved my Pismo. I can't seem to part with it altho I haven't attempted to fire it up in many years. The Armani of laptops.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 26, 2017 10:59PM
I ended up replacing the power card twice in my wife's Pismo. It was a terrible day when I had to replace it.
Posted by: JEB
Date: December 27, 2017 01:55AM
My wife’s Pismo won’t start or charge charge.
What is the PRAM battery trick that you mentioned?
Posted by: MacMission
Date: December 27, 2017 02:43AM
My Pismo still turning heads, but will I learn my lessons?
by MacMission · August 27, 2007

I was begrudgingly enlisted to help an excited switcher who purchased a new black MacBook yesterday to set up his home wireless network. You know how it is. Business switcher gets new toy and calls up his Mac buddy who he has teased for years about owning Apples. So being a nice, pleasant old-school Apple expert (not!) I broke out my trusty Pismo for testing purposes.

Picture this profile: two guys sitting side by side, parallel laptops balanced on knees--my friend with his freshly minted, magnetic black MacBook and me with my classic, black Pismo. Upon revelation, this switcher gazed with appeal at my sexy Pismo and was tenderly captivated by the dual comparison. I then witnessed his demeanor change, his script alter, his anticipatory nature sidetracked and he grinned in admiration and nodded his head repetitively-- understood as a man’s compliment on ownership of another’s nice toy.

It was a bona fide, unspoken, albeit unilateral, acknowledgement by my friend of wise purchase decisions shared between two guys which under most circumstances be sufficient to precipitate an appropriate and pleasurable bond between a geek and a wannabe. Self admittedly, I was somewhat coy and with an undeserving patronized smile said thanks to my friend who was in a state of bliss anticipating his first Mac tutorial. The moment seemingly sealed, I should have willfully left well enough alone. . .

But noooo, my clumsy pride interceded and compelled me to brag that my precious Pismo, by comparison, was eight years old. And then I just had to frame historically that all powerbooks used to be black at no extra charge. And then the coup de grace--that you can purchase Pismos on Craigslist for a couple of C-notes. Jesus, where’s all this warped pretense coming from?

I sensed my friend’s body language slightly shift and his mind recalibrate momentarily in sync. His fleeting emotional discomfort was mild but palpable. Upon reflection, I exposed my own sinful, exuberant pride in my venerable 500mhz/1gig Pismo--a 20th century machine that had never been serviced, never been waxed, traveled internationally and tricked out with a superdrive and 60gig MCE Xcaret expansion hard drive bay sporting the standard dual firewire/usb ports, s-video, etc. (insert background music here).

I felt ashamed of raining on a switcher’s parade certified by his dampened enthusiasm, half-smile, lowered head and blinking eyes as he adjusted to the wisdom of his new purchase. I knew right then I had erred. But the damage was done. Indignity aside, I reshaped the odd moment back to my pleasing by elevating his status, even though I knew I was censurable and should have been dutiful to the cause at hand. I completed my four hour tutorial assignment (no easy projects) and then slipped my slim, curvaceous ebony Pismo back into it’s faded flea-market case and crept out my friend’s front door into the dark of night. Where will I find forgiveness?

Did I mentioned he showed off his new iPhone, repetitively? (Karma?)

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 27, 2017 06:26AM
....Wallstreet.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DP
Date: December 27, 2017 07:03AM
It was the first Apple I bought. Yes, I had a Toshiba Satellite-which, admittedly, was a good machine and was working like a champ 10 years on. But I had been using my wife's IIsi and decided I liked Apple computers! So I got a Piz! Loved the ease of changing RAM and the key action. Never looked back although Apple needs to get back to basics...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: decay
Date: December 27, 2017 08:25AM
Upgradeable CPU!

---
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 27, 2017 08:32AM
Best keyboard I ever touched is my Pismo.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: December 27, 2017 09:41AM
JEB

Open the keyboard, two little tabs at the top (also a lock tab in the middle, but I never use it). To the right under the board, you will see a little white plastic clip with a few wires coming out of it. Gently pull the clip up to disconnect, no locks on it. Make sure it's plugged in then see if it starts. If it does, it's a bad PRAM battery. I've only been able to find used ones on ebay. I figured I would just plug it in for a few days with the main battery removed to sort of "force charge" it. It worked.
If it doesn't start with the unplugged PRAM, it's something more serious. If it does start and you can't find a new battery, it will still work with the power cord. Don't forget to plug the clip back in either way.

Good luck, a lot of these get dumped without trying this simple test first.
Posted by: gabester
Date: December 27, 2017 09:49AM
I definitely like the Pismo; had a Wallstreet myself which I acquired with a hardware PCMCIA DVD decoder card and DVD drive. It was pretty fun back in 1998 to show up at a friend's house and play a DVD on their TV back when no one else had a DVD player (and the portable units with tiny screens were several hundred dollars.)

I agree that the "won't turn on with dead battery/will turn on with no battery" thing was bizarre, but I'm sure there's a perfectly sound electronic/engineering reason for it, unlike today's modern fiascos like "will just throttle your iPhone because its battery is old, wouldn't want it to shut off unexpectedly at 20%..."

I'd think the surefire way to get people to replace batteries or upgrade phones would be that they ARE shutting off unexpectedly. Throttling just seems... malicious.
Date: December 27, 2017 09:54AM
.....the 'hinge' problem......

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 27, 2017 09:55AM
A thing of beauty.....

If you use a Pismo to post about Pismos while sitting on Pismo beach, does that produce a meta-collapsar ?
Date: December 27, 2017 10:57AM
cbelt3
A thing of beauty.....

If you use a Pismo to post about Pismos while sitting on Pismo beach, does that produce a meta-collapsar ?

Probably, but going online would be the last thing I would be thinking about if I was sitting on the beach. So I guess we are safe for now.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 27, 2017 12:43PM
GREAT post! But your sinful pride is clearly still a problem since you kept this all these years and now pridefully post it again 10 years later! :-)

You could have assuaged his sudden sadness by admitting that his new Macbook had 4x the raw power (at least) of your pismo - surely that would have made him feel better :-)

MacMission
My Pismo still turning heads, but will I learn my lessons?
by MacMission · August 27, 2007

I was begrudgingly enlisted to help an excited switcher who purchased a new black MacBook yesterday to set up his home wireless network. You know how it is. Business switcher gets new toy and calls up his Mac buddy who he has teased for years about owning Apples. So being a nice, pleasant old-school Apple expert (not!) I broke out my trusty Pismo for testing purposes.

Picture this profile: two guys sitting side by side, parallel laptops balanced on knees--my friend with his freshly minted, magnetic black MacBook and me with my classic, black Pismo. Upon revelation, this switcher gazed with appeal at my sexy Pismo and was tenderly captivated by the dual comparison. I then witnessed his demeanor change, his script alter, his anticipatory nature sidetracked and he grinned in admiration and nodded his head repetitively-- understood as a man’s compliment on ownership of another’s nice toy.

It was a bona fide, unspoken, albeit unilateral, acknowledgement by my friend of wise purchase decisions shared between two guys which under most circumstances be sufficient to precipitate an appropriate and pleasurable bond between a geek and a wannabe. Self admittedly, I was somewhat coy and with an undeserving patronized smile said thanks to my friend who was in a state of bliss anticipating his first Mac tutorial. The moment seemingly sealed, I should have willfully left well enough alone. . .

But noooo, my clumsy pride interceded and compelled me to brag that my precious Pismo, by comparison, was eight years old. And then I just had to frame historically that all powerbooks used to be black at no extra charge. And then the coup de grace--that you can purchase Pismos on Craigslist for a couple of C-notes. Jesus, where’s all this warped pretense coming from?

I sensed my friend’s body language slightly shift and his mind recalibrate momentarily in sync. His fleeting emotional discomfort was mild but palpable. Upon reflection, I exposed my own sinful, exuberant pride in my venerable 500mhz/1gig Pismo--a 20th century machine that had never been serviced, never been waxed, traveled internationally and tricked out with a superdrive and 60gig MCE Xcaret expansion hard drive bay sporting the standard dual firewire/usb ports, s-video, etc. (insert background music here).

I felt ashamed of raining on a switcher’s parade certified by his dampened enthusiasm, half-smile, lowered head and blinking eyes as he adjusted to the wisdom of his new purchase. I knew right then I had erred. But the damage was done. Indignity aside, I reshaped the odd moment back to my pleasing by elevating his status, even though I knew I was censurable and should have been dutiful to the cause at hand. I completed my four hour tutorial assignment (no easy projects) and then slipped my slim, curvaceous ebony Pismo back into it’s faded flea-market case and crept out my friend’s front door into the dark of night. Where will I find forgiveness?

Did I mentioned he showed off his new iPhone, repetitively? (Karma?)

Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 27, 2017 12:43PM
cbelt3
A thing of beauty.....

Been there, done that (pretty much anyway)... Pismo (the beach) is ~halfway between here and our Bay Area friends and rels, and spittin' distance from the ones in SLO, so from 2000 - 2004, Pismo (the laptop) made several trips to its namesake beach for group get-togethers. Before Pismo (the laptop), I used to take a stuffed Bugs Bunny doll when cruising the Central Coast.

==
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 27, 2017 02:10PM
Yeah, the Pismo was just a gorgeous beast. One of the most aesthetically beautiful Macs ever.

Date: December 27, 2017 02:44PM
pdq
Yeah, the Pismo was just a gorgeous beast. One of the most aesthetically beautiful Macs ever.

Except for that upside down Apple logo.
Posted by: Winston
Date: December 27, 2017 10:39PM
NewtonMP2100
.....the 'hinge' problem......

That was my 1 GHz 15" TiBook . . . although I got a lot of use out of it. Was using a strap to hold up the screen at the end. Think that's when my mother got a MacBook Air, and I got her old 1.5 GHZ 12" Aluminum PowerBook. Great machine, but a bit limited on the memory you could add. I later put an OWC ATA SSD in it. Still miss the keyboard.

And I really wish I had a direct way to run WordPerfect again.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: JEB
Date: December 28, 2017 01:02AM
Thank you
Date: December 28, 2017 06:41AM
Winston
And I really wish I had a direct way to run WordPerfect again.

.....oh, me too......loved WordPerfect. Everything was intuitive and easy to use. If I had to change something, knew exactly where it would be......Word is horrible, can never find where something 'should' be......

Posted by: jonny
Date: December 30, 2017 06:01PM
mstudio
JEB

Open the keyboard, two little tabs at the top (also a lock tab in the middle, but I never use it). To the right under the board, you will see a little white plastic clip with a few wires coming out of it. Gently pull the clip up to disconnect, no locks on it. Make sure it's plugged in then see if it starts. If it does, it's a bad PRAM battery. I've only been able to find used ones on ebay. I figured I would just plug it in for a few days with the main battery removed to sort of "force charge" it. It worked.
If it doesn't start with the unplugged PRAM, it's something more serious. If it does start and you can't find a new battery, it will still work with the power cord. Don't forget to plug the clip back in either way.

Good luck, a lot of these get dumped without trying this simple test first.

Awesome! My son's Wallstreet - which was a freebee off Craigslist - stopped starting just a few days ago. Your trick did the trick!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 238
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018