advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
you're TEARING up my heart [ when I'm with you ]?!.....iMac Pro, base model, teardown from OWC.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 28, 2017 06:49AM
......shines light on upgradeability potential....

Base model iMac Pro teardown sheds more light on its upgrade potential

.....It was only a matter of time before the iMac Pro teardowns begun to surface. The first team up to bat is Mac component upgrade provider OWC. The Woodstock, IL-based company is keenly interested in the just-launched iMac Pro, since it features a different internal configuration and layout compared to standard 5K iMac models.

OWC produces memory and storage upgrades for Mac computers, so this first foray inside the iMac Pro chassis is a way for it to scope out the territory, as it were. Have a look at the teardown inside, and learn some of the details about the base model iMac Pro.

A couple of interesting points of note revealed upfront is that the base model iMac Pro features 32GB of RAM in a 4 x 8GB configuration. The iMac Pro features four DIMM sockets, and the 4x 8GB configuration allows it to take advantage of its quad-channel memory capability. This appears to be the same across all iMac Pro memory configs, with 64GB featuring a 4 x 16GB config and 128GB featuring a 4 x 32GB config.

Another interesting point is that the base model iMac Pro’s 1TB SSD is comprised of two 512GB SSDs in a RAID configuration. Each SSD features a tamper-proof sticker on top of the screw housing for good measure. The good news is that both drives appear to be easily removable via a simple unscrew.

The 4 x 4 memory configuration presents an interesting conundrum for anyone wishing to perform memory upgrades after purchase. It means, for instance, that you can’t just slap two additional 16GB DIMM modules in the base-model iMac Pro to upgrade it from 32GB to 64GB.

Besides that, just like all iMacs, the amount of effort that it takes to actually get inside the machine isn’t for the faint of heart. The difference with the iMac Pro is that it doesn’t feature a handy door for do-it-yourself memory upgrades like the 5K iMac does.

Apple will eventually allow RAM upgrades via authorized service providers, but considering all that needs to be done in order to get to the RAM, I’m not sure if I’d personally be comfortable with someone cracking open my $5000+ machine, authorized personnel or not. OWC notes that it will soon launch a program that allows users to send in their iMac Pro to have memory upgrades performed by its staff. More details on that program will surely be revealed in due process.

Unsurprisingly, OWC is also planning a DIY upgrade kit for advanced users who have no qualms about going through everything involved with performing memory upgrades. It may not be for the faint of heart, but at least you have the peace of mind of knowing that a memory upgrade is possible thanks to Apple’s use of normal removable DIMM memory modules inserted into standard sockets.

OWC notes:

“That being said, with consideration to the relatively limited trade-in value of the lowest base 32GB option, the current cost of a full 64GB or 128GB kit and the labor involved with the upgrade – we currently recommend purchasing an iMac Pro with the amount of memory you believe will be needed. While it is huge benefit to have the option in the future, at present the financial benefit is relatively small vs. the factory cost differences to upgrade from that base 32GB. Over time this difference will likely grow and a real benefit will come to be, but for now we do feel the knowledge that an upgrade is possible is of more benefit than choosing to upgrade aftermarket at this time.”

OWC continues its teardown by removing the heatsink for the CPU and GPU, revealing the Intel Xeon W 8-core CPU in all of its glory. It goes on to note that the CPU, held into place with a generous helping of thermal compound, may be upgradable. It looks promising, but only further testing will establish whether or not that turns out to be a reality.

Although OWC’s teardown might not be as extensive as the sure-to-be-upcoming teardown from iFixit, the video provides a valuable first look at the machine’s internal components, and paints a promising picture of the all-in-one beast’s upgrade potential.

teardown from OWC..............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: you're TEARING up my heart [ when I'm with you ]?!.....iMac Pro, base model, teardown from OWC.....
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 28, 2017 10:58AM
A real scoop to have it done before ifixit. They imply their's isn't showing up until next week (or later).

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Re: you're TEARING up my heart [ when I'm with you ]?!.....iMac Pro, base model, teardown from OWC.....
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 28, 2017 11:12AM
GO TEAM OWC!
(and many thanks)
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 28, 2017 12:41PM
I posted in a previous topic about the iMac Pro that I was pretty certain the CPU would be socketed. This teardown confirms that. OWC will have to see if there is hardware or firmware limitations that keeps the CPU from being upgradable. That might be a cost efficient option at some point in the future, but like the RAM prices are now it may not make sense now to plan on it being an option immediately.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 28, 2017 02:26PM
Looks pretty simple realtively speaking. Only 3 cables for the screen, all big ones, and simple slide out of the speakers to get the main board out.

However, I expect any 3rd party ram, flash or CPU to be so much $$$$ to start would prob something that wouldnt get upgraded for years and years until costs came down.

barefeats has started tests: [barefeats.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 28, 2017 04:06PM

Don't expect much help from the Genius Bar just yet...
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 28, 2017 08:02PM
jdc
barefeats has started tests: [barefeats.com]

Oh $#@^*%& is this depressing. A couple of underpowered 5 year old GPU's that were borderline obsolete when they were new, are tying new "pro" machine GPU. I mourn for anybody that pays $9,000 for the "new" iMac. It's the one glaring Achiles heel in a machine with the biggest Apple tax in the last 15 years.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015