advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Getting AT&T Fiber tomorrow
Posted by: Winston
Date: December 28, 2017 01:49PM
Our neighborhood was supposed to get Google Fiber "in 2017", but it's not happening. With Google Fiber's retrenchment it may never happen. But AT&T has rolled out fiber-to-the home, with up to 1 Gbps speed.

For Christmas our son gave us a subsidy to get us to switch from Comcast cable internet to AT&T fiber. Installer due tomorrow morning to set up the gigabit service. Only put the request in last night, so that's pretty quick service.

However, signup isn't very transparent, and brought back many of the reasons I've moved most of our communications services away from AT&T. A bit of a rant follows.

We have an AT&T land line. I logged into that account to set up service. It appears that I set up the order via the existing account. But it made me set up a "new" "four-digit passcode", even though my online account already had one.

Then got six emails from AT&T. One said to "activate your AT&T Access ID", using the temporary password sent separately. The "Access ID" is the email address which is associated with my landline account, although it's not the user ID for the landline account.

Another email was a password reset email, which said I'd either called or requested online a password reset. Which I had not done. And to call them if this was in error.

Called AT&T, spoke with three different people, the last one of whom said she'd transfer me to "an expert", but I'm pretty sure she deliberately just kicked me back to the start of their standard automated queue. None could explain why I got a "password reset" email. (Apparently AT&T has been sloppy about how it sends out a temporary password for a new account.)

The last one did tell me that the Fiber service would have a different account and separate bill, which could not be combined with the landline bill (although when we used to get DSL it was on the landline bill). Supposedly I will be able to see both our landline and the fiber service from either online account (we will see).

So:
- Set up the Fiber service from an existing account, with no indication from AT&T that they will create a new account with separate billing. (There were some odd hints at this if I'd been looking for it.) No mention that, for example, I'll still need the old four-digit passcode for my landline account.

- Sent me a password reset email when no password reset was requested. Apparently this was to set up a password for the new account, but no one at AT&T could explain that. Note that the email had a number to call "if you feel you have received this message in error". (Time for a lame psychologist joke.)

- AT&T is extremely compartmentalized, so no one I spoke to could see but a part of my account(s). No one could see my landline account, just the order for the Fiber service. And everyone was on script, repeating things which didn't answer my questions, even after being asked repeatedly not to do so. And of course no one had a method for providing feedback to management.

The experience talking to AT&T felt like what happened with Ofoto after Kodak took it over and changed it to Kodak Gallery. (Hah, the psychologist got to me!) It was being horribly managed. I tried really, really hard to get to someone in management to explain their problems from a customer's point of view, but it was impossible. Couldn't possibly waste management's time trying to hear from customers. Of course Kodak ran it into the ground.

If this were not a gift from my son, I'd have cancelled the order. Here's hoping it's better from here on. He did suggest we keep the Comcast service active for a couple of months to be sure of AT&T's service. I'd not planned to keep Comcast for more than a week or so, but am now reconsidering. My only real complaint with Comcast is that it's overpriced - customer service in the last couple of years has been decent. Dealing with AT&T is so not fun.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Getting AT&T Fiber tomorrow
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 28, 2017 02:07PM
$80 a month seems wild for internet, Comcast must have been really gouging you.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 28, 2017 02:14PM
jdc

My son is something of a "latest and greatest" nut. But the Comcast bill is $70/month for 30 Mbps service. I consider that gouging in the current environment. So with AT&T fiber we'll get service claimed to be over 33 times faster, for $10 more a month.

We don't need faster service most of the time, but the idea of faster upload speeds with the gigabit service does start to make online backups seem reasonable.

Comcast is also offering gigabit service where we are, but I think it's something like $120/month.

- W

* Edit: in fairness to Comcast, we sometimes see double the 30 Mbps speed when we run tests. They may have given us an unannounced upgrade in service. But I'd have been happier if they dropped the price by half.

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 02:16PM by Winston.
Date: December 28, 2017 02:39PM
Online backups are only a pain the first time, after that meh.

Ive got lowly ATT DSL at 55/10 and its never lacking, but its not "shared" like comcast -- so theres that.

Other thing is that everything in the house is wireless, and older. So even having fiber speeds would be a waste, since nothing in the house can get wireless any faster...

----

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 28, 2017 03:00PM
There will be two parts to the installation (I got it put in last month): the initial install, and the fiber burial. Be sure somebody is around for both of them! The guys who trenched and buried the fiber managed to put huge tire-track ditches in my yard and my neighbor's yard. I had no idea they were even coming that day, and didn't find out what had happened until I got home. Did an incredibly sloppy job and then took off.

I had the same problem with the mysterious "access code" and ID business. There is no way to either start or change one on their website, and the Death Star remains entirely oblivious about it.

We got the 100Mbps service, which was a huge upgrade over the previous 18Mbps DSL. I didn't see a need to get the full Gigabit speed, our house isn't wired and we'd rarely if ever be able to make use of it.

One other fair warning: if you have a Uverse TV DVR, they're going to swap it out with the fiber install. The copper line versions aren't compatible, so there go all your recorded shows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 03:03PM by Will Collier.
Date: December 28, 2017 03:50PM
Will Collier
There will be two parts to the installation (I got it put in last month): the initial install, and the fiber burial. Be sure somebody is around for both of them! The guys who trenched and buried the fiber managed to put huge tire-track ditches in my yard and my neighbor's yard. I had no idea they were even coming that day, and didn't find out what had happened until I got home. Did an incredibly sloppy job and then took off.

I had the same problem with the mysterious "access code" and ID business. There is no way to either start or change one on their website, and the Death Star remains entirely oblivious about it.

We got the 100Mbps service, which was a huge upgrade over the previous 18Mbps DSL. I didn't see a need to get the full Gigabit speed, our house isn't wired and we'd rarely if ever be able to make use of it.

One other fair warning: if you have a Uverse TV DVR, they're going to swap it out with the fiber install. The copper line versions aren't compatible, so there go all your recorded shows.

Thanks for the tips. Just went through trying to set up online access to the account. What a mess. Did finally get it working. I think the problem (which AT&T support has no info on) is that I put in a password which was too long (23 characters). AT&T apparently has more than one system which allows you to register. The one I used first, based on their emails, allowed me to put in the 23 character password. But then I couldn't log in. Got a "forgot my password" reset, and THAT would not work either. Spent about an hour and a half on the phone with them to get the online registration done, using a different setup system, and it told me I had an invalid password with 23 characters. Shortened, it became "Excellent".

What system allows you to set up a new login after you've already set up a login, and gotten a confirmation that it worked? May be some security issues there.

And they can't seem to figure out what the term "Access ID" means. Sometimes it means login ID, but what AT&T's confirmation page gave me as the Access ID during the registration does not work as a login ID. Their original email to me used my normal email address as the "Access ID", and told me to use it to log in. But when I called, I was told I should set up an AT&T email address for login, even though the system showed I already had my email address set up as the login ID. Ugh.

We have a conduit run underground to our house from across the street, so should not need any digging, save for a little at the pole. No DVR.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: December 28, 2017 03:51PM
jdc
Ive got lowly ATT DSL at 55/10 and its never lacking, but its not "shared" like comcast -- so theres that.

The AT&T Fiber User Agreement says that it's a shared service . . .

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 28, 2017 03:54PM
ATT is or has been rolled out to my neighborhood. I'm tempted to get it but it is more expensive that what we currently have. might reexamine in a couple of months.

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 28, 2017 04:14PM
ATT website will keep me away! What a mess.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: December 28, 2017 04:30PM
Winston

Had no idea fiber was "shared" -- although not sure how many peeps feel the need to spring for 1000 MB/s service. Prob wont share it with many, if anyone?

Any idea how fast the maximum wifi of an iPhone 7? Google didnt give me anything useful. Only talked about LTE.

----

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 28, 2017 05:05PM
jdc

Try living in a city with absolutely no real competition. I would need to go down to the lowest level with nothing else to get my ScumCrap total monthly bill under $90. CenturyLink has Fiber to an office complex a mile away as the fiber tunnels, but I can only get 20 Mbps DSL from them (best case scenario) with Dish for TV.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 28, 2017 05:10PM
You have a great son!
Date: December 28, 2017 05:57PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Try living in a city with absolutely no real competition.

Yeah, thats gotta suck.

When I moved my office to River Park back in early 2003 the only DSL I could get was SDSL at 384K. Later it jumped to 768K. No other providers. it sucked.

Ive seen some of the big xfinity trucks stopped in my hood, thought we might get xfinity fiber (or whatever its called) but at $90 I will pass.

Locked into my ATT for another year @ $30 with the 50/10 speed I mentioned above.

----

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 28, 2017 08:28PM
jdc
Winston

Had no idea fiber was "shared" -- although not sure how many peeps feel the need to spring for 1000 MB/s service. Prob wont share it with many, if anyone?

Any idea how fast the maximum wifi of an iPhone 7? Google didnt give me anything useful. Only talked about LTE.

It may be shared (whatever that means with Fiber capacity), but it's consistently much, much faster than the "service" we got from Crapcast, and a hell of a lot more reliable. Crapcast used to go out anytime we had a thunderstorm (hello, Atlanta), and it was impossible to report an outage. I think we've had a total of two outages (which were just as difficult to report) with the Death Star.

They both suck, but so far ATT sucks less.
Posted by: Cary
Date: December 29, 2017 05:51AM
jdc
Winston

By definition, internet access is shared. Every ISP, just like every cell phone network, landline network, cable provider, and health club/gym is a shared service. It's all a matter of traffic engineering - "How many concurrent users can I support at the "busy hour"? What's the amount of facilities that I need to do so?" They wouldn't be able to be economically feasible, otherwise.

The "it's not shared" message is a specious, yet seemingly successful, marketing message.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 29, 2017 08:49AM
Cary
jdc
Winston

By definition, internet access is shared. Every ISP, just like every cell phone network, landline network, cable provider, and health club/gym is a shared service. It's all a matter of traffic engineering - "How many concurrent users can I support at the "busy hour"? What's the amount of facilities that I need to do so?" They wouldn't be able to be economically feasible, otherwise.

The "it's not shared" message is a specious, yet seemingly successful, marketing message.

but he had a valid questions, which no one answered so far: Any idea how fast the maximum wifi of an iPhone 7? Google didnt give me anything useful. Only talked about LTE.

So assuming he was the only person on the planet, with no one else on that WiFi station, and that WiFi station was connected directly to a T3 line or whatever, what is the theoretical maximum speed he can download at? You know, the 802.11b was 11 Mbps, then 802.11g was 54 Mbps, and so on.
Date: December 29, 2017 10:21AM
Per Apple specs, the iPhone 7 has:
[www.apple.com]
"802.11ac WiFi"

I think it can handle two streams (see link further down).

Per Wikipedia, 802.11ac has:
[en.wikipedia.org]
Bandwidth: 20 Mhz - Up to 346.8 Mbps
Bandwidth: 40 Mhz - Up to 800 Mbps
Bandwidth: 80 Mhz - Up to 1733.2 Mbps

More info here:
[discussions.apple.com]

"I have a 3x3 AC1750 access point that supports 1300Mbps, but the 7plus appears to connect at a single stream rate of 433Mbps. I have tested from right on top of the AP to a few feet away with no change. Murata, the manufacturer of the wireless chipset in the 7 shows a max of a 2x2 on their website. I could not find the exact specs of the chipset in the 7 but this would only afford a theoretical max connection of 867Mbps."

and

"As a combo chip, the BCM4359 combines 2x2 MIMO 5G Wi-Fi with Bluetooth 4.1 and FM radio, and its key features include the following:

2x2 HT80 802.11ac, 2.4GHz and 5GHz
Supports two- or three-antenna configurations for more advanced functions
WLAN MU-MIMO client support
2.4GHz TurboQAM - for up to 33 percent increase in throughput performance.
867 Mbps PHY rate/80MHz channel bandwidth"

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 10:22AM by Winston.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 29, 2017 11:37AM
So basically iPhone 7's WiFi is faster than 99.99% of US households internet connection.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 29, 2017 12:35PM
space-time
So basically iPhone 7's WiFi is faster than 99.99% of US households internet connection.

I was getting a "433 Mbps" connection to my 802.11AC router with my HTC M8 phone in 2014. I would get 90 Mbps results on speedtest.net on my phone, about 84% of my wired computer speed over the cable internet connection.

edited to update speeds when I finally found the actual speedtest post.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 12:40PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 29, 2017 01:57PM
....fiber keeps you......regular.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 278
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015