advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amazon PRIME, Love/Hate relationship
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 28, 2017 03:31PM
I was about to order that KitchenAid mixer and it said I could get it on Saturday if I order within the next 8 hours.

I did some cooking, read more reviews and decided to buy. I should still have 6 hours left.

now I get this:

Want it Saturday, Dec. 30? Order within 15 hrs 18 mins and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details

Note that One-Day Shipping costs extra.

if I browse in a Private Window, I get this:

Want it Saturday, Dec. 30? Order within 1 hr 35 mins and choose Two-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Why is amazon willing to sell this with Two-Day Shipping to a total stranger (they don't know who is shopping since I am using private window), but when I log in, I do not get this option unless I pay even more?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amazon PRIME, Love/Hate relationship
Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 28, 2017 03:33PM
Are you sure it's coming from the same seller? If so, wow, that's bad.

Date: December 28, 2017 03:34PM
AllGold
Are you sure it's coming from the same seller? If so, wow, that's bad.

yes, sold by Amazon.com

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 03:37PM by space-time.
Date: December 28, 2017 03:54PM
On the phone with amazon right now.
This seems unacceptable to me.

I spoke to a Amazon CSR named DiAngelo and he promised that the item will get here on Saturday (even though I chose 2 day shipping and order confirmation says Sunday).

They really wanted to squeeze $20 from me.
Posted by: Winston
Date: December 28, 2017 04:07PM
May have something to do with knowing or not knowing your location (vs. where it might ship from). Seems like I've had this inconsistency from Amazon as well. They advertise Prime two-day shipping as a single product for everyone in every location, but I'm not sure it really is, in practice.

Hope you've got a good spot on the counter for it. They are a bit of a pain to move. We have a large Kenwood stand mixer up on a high shelf, and it get's used about once a year.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 28, 2017 04:13PM
I'm really confused. I put that in my cart and I have the option of free one-day shipping OR free two-day shipping OR free no-rush shipping if I would like a $1 credit for some music download or some such thing. In short, there's no option that would cost me any money at all.

Free one-day shipping is only available for people who live in certain metro zip codes. That much I do know.

You won't be able to see the charges for the item you are viewing in the Private Window until you log in, at which point the options will revert to your usual options. The free 2-day shipping is probably being offered to you because if you were really a new customer, you'd be told to join Prime to get it once you were checking out.

Posted by: jdc
Date: December 28, 2017 04:15PM
The whole "I paid for prime I want everything here yesterday" thing is out of hand...

did you go all the way to the checkout screen?

I get this:

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 28, 2017 04:17PM
jdc
The whole "I paid for prime I want everything here yesterday" thing is out of hand...

Only because Amazon uses that as a selling point for Prime.

Date: December 28, 2017 04:30PM
jdc

did you go all the way to the checkout screen?

as mentioned above, that is how Amazon advertises PRIME membership.

Initially I was told I had 8 hours to check out to get free 2-day shipping and get the item on Saturday. OK, maybe they sold the units in warehouse close to me in the 2 hours I postponed the purchase, but I was annoyed that they showed the option again once I used private window.

And yes, I went to checkout, and for me the charge was $19.99 (not $21.99 like in your screenshot). I chose 2 day shipping, Amazon says it will get here on 31st, but the Customer Service Rep on the phone said I will get it on 30th. I doubt it.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 28, 2017 04:33PM
Stevie's correct, the speed of the "free shipping" is all about where you live. Free one-day shipping is not available everywhere.

I get the same model/color/price delivered Dec. 29 with free shipping if I shop in my Prime account.

Glad you got it worked out Space. Happy cooking.

You can use this to check out one-day or same day delivery in your zip code.

[www.amazon.com]
Date: December 28, 2017 04:34PM
Great news!

Prime FREE Same-Day and One-Day options are available for residential addresses in 0xxxx.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 28, 2017 04:35PM
AllGold
jdc

Only because Amazon uses that as a selling point for Prime.

Yeah. I get that and agree. I guess I’m trying to say amazon is shooting itself in the foot by hammering this so now we all expect it. So when we don’t we aren’t happy.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 28, 2017 04:37PM
When you're not logged in, it's their best guess. Once they have your details, they can give a more accurate estimate. Do you really expect them to know how long it will take when they don't even know where they're shipping it?

As far as your 8 hour window changing to less than six, yes they could have sold out at the distribution center, but they could have also maxed the capacity of it. There could have been other factors in play as well.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: December 28, 2017 04:42PM
I get that M A V I C, but even when I am not logged in, they could tell my approximate location by IP address. it is not like I was using a VPN or something else to hide my location. I was at home, where I want the item delivered.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 28, 2017 04:53PM
It's like they are going out of their way to be unpredictable.

Last week I ordered 11 items and they promised delivery by Jan. 2. One item was delivered unexpectedly in two days on Saturday. This was two days early after originally saying Dec 26th. I had almost spent the weekend out of town and it would have been ruined by the rain and snow . One item showed up Tuesday the 26th but none of the other items had registered as shipped. A full week later, the 9 other items register as shipped and is estimated to be here on Jan. 3rd at the earliest.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Date: December 28, 2017 04:56PM
space-time
I get that M A V I C, but even when I am not logged in, they could tell my approximate location by IP address. it is not like I was using a VPN or something else to hide my location. I was at home, where I want the item delivered.

In private browsing they don't know where you want the thing delivered. The assumption built into Prime pricing and shipping options is that it's being shipped to the address they have on account for you as your primary shipping address.

You got free two-day shipping on the model you want at the lowest price you found, correct? Seems like Amazon is coming through for you with minimal hassle here.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 28, 2017 05:22PM
I live in Seattle, and some stuff is even same day, no extra charge. It just depends.

And sometimes they outright lie, of course. With my partner's b-day present 3 weeks ago, they acknowledged they really blew it, and reversed the charges. Too bad it wasn't a diamond ring or laptop!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 28, 2017 05:49PM
I guess the moral is to never trust Amazon for your urgent kitchen mixer emergencies.

Date: December 28, 2017 06:06PM
$tevie
I guess the moral is to never trust Amazon for your urgent kitchen mixer emergencies.

Not at emergency. But still would have been nice to get it on Saturday. I could bake another loaf for next day.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 28, 2017 06:30PM
space-time

Still not as accurate as knowing your address. My home and work are less than 10 miles apart. Delivery options vary between the two. Sometimes I can't get an item in less than two days at work, but can get the same item in less than two hours to my house. A different item can be the opposite at the same time.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: December 28, 2017 09:18PM
I'm logged in on one computer and not logged in on another and will get different shipping offers and estimates looking at an item that was on sale that I waffled on and missed. I don't think I've seen a better offer ( for shipping/handling and/or delivery ) for non-Prime though. Yet.
I've looked up that blender though and I get longer shipping times so you must be closer to a fulfillment center where they are stocked. Could be they have them stocked in NJ and De and you're seeing the difference in shipping between the fulfillment centers.

I also have one-click turned on and instead of text offers in the description I get shipping buttons under the one-click button. Overnight extra charge shipping choice is default. It is real easy to forget to change that to the free Prime and end up paying extra and getting it even sooner.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 28, 2017 09:35PM
jdc

did you go all the way?

....that is a personal question.....he is married though so it is o.k.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: December 28, 2017 09:36PM
space-time
Not at emergency. But still would have been nice to get it on Saturday. I could bake another loaf for next day.

....guess that was a half-baked idea [ expectation ]......

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 29, 2017 12:17PM
Y'all remember when Amazon was accused of charging more when they detected the browser was Safari, i.e., coming from a rich Mac owner? Someone said you could log in to Amazon on, say, Explorer, Omniweb, etc., and price was lower. I don't know, but if true, wow, that's about as sleazy as it gets. cursing smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: December 29, 2017 12:19PM
well, this is interesting. Last night when I ordered it said it will get here on Sunday, 31st. I am not sure if calling customer service had anything to do with this, but now Amazon order says it will get here tomorrow by 8 PM. That would be nice.
Date: December 29, 2017 12:36PM
.....so right now......you have.......MIXED.....emotions about it......

Date: December 29, 2017 12:45PM
NewtonMP2100
.....so right now......you have.......MIXED.....emotions about it......

LOL, maybe Jeff Bezos is a secret MRF member and saw my complain last night?
Date: December 29, 2017 01:28PM
GuyGene
Y'all remember when Amazon was accused of charging more when they detected the browser was Safari, i.e., coming from a rich Mac owner? Someone said you could log in to Amazon on, say, Explorer, Omniweb, etc., and price was lower. I don't know, but if true, wow, that's about as sleazy as it gets. cursing smiley

It's not just Amazon, nearly all websites that use dynamic pricing were found to charge Mac users higher prices than were offered to PC users. This is a common online pricing strategy that was not invented by Amazon and has been around and publicly known for many years (at least 8 or 10). Airlines, hotels, Sears, Walmart...they all do it.

It's not sleazy unless you want to say that capitalism is sleazy, which would be a separate conversation.

They do this because they can.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 367
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015