Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
F/U: Asus router + Brother printer FAIL
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: December 28, 2017 08:14PM
Follow up to thius: [forums.macresource.com]

Got the Asus 3100 router today and all was lovely until I tried printing via my Brother MFC 7860. Connected printer via ethernet to the router. The router sees the printer but will not print! Two support calls (first was comically counter-productive, second one with "Tier 2 support" explored several options unsuccessfully) and no joy.

I deleted all the old printers and attempted to set up a new one via the Printer/Scanner pref, then choosing IP, then following instructions for Line Printer Daemon. Again, no joy.

Can anyone assist? Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: F/U: Asus router + Brother printer FAIL
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 28, 2017 08:42PM
My Brother MFC-7345N shows up as a default printer over Bonjour. Pretty sure I had to install a driver- it says I am using the Brother MFC-7345N CUPS driver. Which Mac OS ?

EDIT: Mine is also connected via Ethernet to a router (not Asus) but all my wired and wireless devices can print to it. (no Airprint due to the printer vintage however)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 08:44PM by mikebw.
Date: December 28, 2017 08:56PM
mikebw
My Brother MFC-7345N shows up as a default printer over Bonjour. Pretty sure I had to install a driver- it says I am using the Brother MFC-7345N CUPS driver. Which Mac OS ?

EDIT: Mine is also connected via Ethernet to a router (not Asus) but all my wired and wireless devices can print to it. (no Airprint due to the printer vintage however)

El Capitain. I have all the latest Brother drivers installed. Printer is Brother MFC7860DW. Printer is connected to Asus router via ethernet cable, and the printer does show up in the Asus dashboard. So close!
Posted by: Winston
Date: December 28, 2017 08:59PM
Does the printer show up under the "Default" tab of the printer setup window? If so, you can use that instead of the IP address.

For IP printer setup, it's possible that the router isn't holding the printer to a fixed IP address. If the printer is set to use DHCP to get an IP address it's likely the address assigned to the printer has gotten changed. If you set the printer to a fixed address you won't have to worry about this.*

The Asus may allow a range of fixed IP addresses. What you would do is to log into the Asus online setup, find the place for setting fixed IP addresses, and set one for the printer. Then manually set the printer to use this address instead of DHCP.

If the Asus doesn't allow a range of fixed IP addresses, or you don't want to bother with the Asus's settings, it usually works to just set the printer's IP address to one the router would not normally assign via DHCP, but which is valid for the range the router uses. This is what I've done for our Brother MFC-7820N.

For example, say the router's IP address is 192.168.1.1. It then has a "subnet mask" which probably looks like 0.0.0.255, which means it can assign addresses between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.255. It will also recognize any device with a fixed IP address in this range.

Likely the Asus starts the assignments with 192.168.1.2. So you could assign the printer to something like 192.168.1.201, and not worry that it would confuse DHCP (which is the process of the router assigning IP addresses within the network as needed). But the router may also allow you to split the subnet into a DHCP section and a fixed section. If this is the case, give 192.168.1.2 to .200 to DHCP, and .201 to .255 to fixed, and use .201 for the printer.

If the Asus starts with a different range, adjust the instructions to reflect this. It might, for example, start assigning IP addresses with 192.168.1.100. In this case, 192.168.1.201 would still probably be fine for the printer.

My Brother MFP-7820N makes it a pain to enter a fixed IP address on its screen. If yours is similar, check to make sure you entered the fixed IP address correctly.

Good luck.

- Winston

*Edit: To be clear, when you set up a printer under IP in System Preferences/Printers & Scanners, you set your Mac to look for the printer at ONE IP address. If the printer's IP address changes, then the Mac can't find it anymore. Routers doing DHCP will change the IP address of a device as things go on and off of the network. The point of Bonjour is to give the Mac a way to find the printer even if the IP address changes, but if the printer doesn't support that, you need to set the printer to a fixed IP address, then use this address to set up the printer in Printers & Scanners. "Fixed" IP and "static" IP are the same thing.

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 09:07PM by Winston.
Date: December 28, 2017 09:01PM
Hmm, latest firmware? [support.brother.com]
Posted by: tenders
Date: December 28, 2017 09:03PM
Does the computer see the printer through the router?

I would suggest shutting down the computer, printer, and router, and re-energizing them in the order of router, printer, computer, and see if the printer's been picked up by the computer.

If that doesn't work, sometimes I've had problems with the computer not seeing the printer at the correct IP address, as assigned by the router using DHCP. So to rule that out, I'd assign the printer a STATIC IP address that isn't taken by another device on your network, but is easy to remember, like 192.168.0.5 (if your network is set up like that; it's probably 192.168.0.XXX or 192.168.1.XXX). (You do this on the printer's internal configuration web page, not the printer driver section of the System Preferences.) Then see if you can get it working when you can tell the computer exactly where the printer is on the network.
Date: December 28, 2017 09:04PM
Good call on the IP address guys. My MFC is getting an IP through the router DHCP - 192.168.1.11. I can load a webpage at that address.
Date: December 28, 2017 09:09PM
tenders
I'd assign the printer a STATIC IP address that isn't taken by another device on your network, but is easy to remember, like 192.168.0.5 (if your network is set up like that; it's probably 192.168.0.XXX or 192.168.1.XXX). (You do this on the printer's internal configuration web page, not the printer driver section of the System Preferences.)

If you are having trouble printing you may not be able to get to the printer's internal configuration web page. But you can set a fixed IP address from the printer's front panel.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 28, 2017 09:31PM
do not blame the router. Did you have the printer working with the old router? or perhaps connect the printer directly to the computer via Ethernet and see if you can print that way? I assume the printer also has USB but I am not sure if USB and Ethernet use same drivers or not.

Anyway, if that printer supports your OS, you should be able to get it printing, I don't think it is the router.

Good luck.
Date: December 28, 2017 09:33PM
In the old thread you said " Ah ha -- right you are. It's been so long since last setup, I forgot. The Brother printer is indeed connected to the existing router via Ethernet. Thank you. "

From that I infer the printer was working. Then I think you should be able to get the printer working again, and I don't think you even have to mess with ASUS router. The router should only offer an IP to Printer and to Computer. Do not mess with printer support in ASUS router. I would just reset the printing system on the Mac and then add the printer again.

Good luck.
Date: December 28, 2017 09:36PM
I'm pretty close to having a nervous breakdown right now. Three hours on the phone with tech support will do that to an otherwise sane person. Let me review all your collective advice in the morning and report back.
Date: December 28, 2017 09:39PM
prymsnap
I'm pretty close to having a nervous breakdown right now. Three hours on the phone with tech support will do that to an otherwise sane person. Let me review all your collective advice in the morning and report back.

wise decision. Have a good night.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 28, 2017 11:15PM
prymsnap
Follow up to thius: [forums.macresource.com]

Got the Asus 3100 router today and all was lovely until I tried printing via my Brother MFC 7860. Connected printer via ethernet to the router. The router sees the printer but will not print!

In the other thread, I was talking about using the USB print server function of the Asus router.

If you're connecting via Ethernet, you're just using ordinary TCP/IP networking and my comments in the other thread are moot.

Just use the control panel on the front of the printer to configure the network settings. To get going quickly, make sure that the printer's IPv4 networking settings are configured to use DHCP, then set up a Bonjour printing queue from your Mac.

Date: December 29, 2017 09:10AM
Good morning, my endlessly patient and brilliant MRFers! Sleep was indeed the right choice before tackling this again.

The basics: Brother MFC printer was working via my old D-Link router, connected via ethernet cable to the router. When he new Asus router arrived I connected it in the same manner. In the System Prefs Printers and Scanners pane I deleted the old printer.

Then in "Add Printer" I saw the name of the Brother printer. I continued on as usual to complete the setup process, I couldn't get it to print.

At that point I embarked on the rabbit hole of Plan B: setting up the printer via the IP option and Line Printer. I went down that road because I had read somewhere (pre-purchase) that Asus routers don't allow Mac users to simply use the default process. Can't remember if it was "Asus doesn't like Macs" or "Asus doesn't like Brother." That's where the hours of fruitless tech support phone calls started. At one point a tech support guy had me find the Client Pin on my printer (didn't know one existed) and type it into one of the fields on the Asus web-based setup page.

Eventually I had to throw in the towel and go to bed. But this morning I took Forum advice and checked a few things. The router does recognize the printer (and did so even before I added the Client Pin). The printer shows up on the Asus setup page as hardwired and with a static IP. Another piece of advice was to go back to the "default" setup while setting up a new printer and bypass the whole Line Printer path. So this morning I once again deleted all the printers...hit add...used the Default option...selected the printer...and IT WORKED. You can't imagine my surprise.

So what changed? Maybe adding the printer's Client Pin? Maybe shutting everything down and starting up in the right order? Maybe the force of collective good will of the MRF forum?

And then again maybe this will all go to hell in a handbasket later on today...I haven't yet tried printing from various laptops and PCs.

But in the meantime...cautious optimism! Thank you all.
Date: December 29, 2017 09:31AM
Well, that didn't take long. No longer able to print. "Printer not connected."
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 29, 2017 09:36AM
prym,

I've been getting that error on an older HP Laserjet P2035N. The problem goes away for a short time when I restart the printer. I haven't done any troubleshooting as of yet but I suspect it's a hardware issue with the printer. My reasoning? If it was the router (An airport Extreme 802.11n model) or cable, the problem would persist even after restarting the printer.

In your case, I suspect it's a different issue, possibly a defective router. Have you tried swapping out the cable and/or connecting the cable to different ports on the router? Those would be my next steps.

Robert
Date: December 29, 2017 09:49AM
I'll try that, Robert. Thanks!
Date: December 29, 2017 09:59AM
prymsnap
Well, that didn't take long. No longer able to print. "Printer not connected."

before throwing the towel again, I would try a different cable and a different port on the router.

Also I would reset the ASUS router and redo the setup again, this time I would not even mess seeing the printer from the router's web page, just pretend the router does not even know there is a printer, the Mac and the printer should talk to the each other (via Router of course) but you do not need the router to mess up with the talking back and forth between router and printer.

Good luck.
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 29, 2017 10:09AM
And maybe tell us what all of the IP addresses are for each device so we can better understand the network setup. They should all be in the 192.168.xxx.yyy range. And if they connect via Ethernet and WiFi, then there should be two IP addresses, one for Ethernet one for WiFi.

Router's IP
Printer's IP
Computer's IP

And try connecting to the printer's IP address from a web browser on your computer to verify that you have a working network connection before trying to setup the printer from the computer.
Date: December 29, 2017 10:42AM
The ethernet cable was my thought. Ethernet cables can go bad - the wires get pulled and don't quite connect inside the RJ-45 plug. Just because it was working before doesn't mean it will work after being moved.

Also check for dust/lint in the printer's ethernet jack.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 10:43AM by Winston.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 29, 2017 11:15AM
imho, don't think it's the router or the printer; more of a configuration issue.
I have an ASUS RT-AC66R router & two Brother printers on Cat5e thru a 8-port unmanaged switch with all three Macs on the switch. Only the router & Macs have auto-assigned IP’s, rest are manually fixed. Here’s the addressing scheme:

router: 192.168.11.1
faux MP: 192.168.11.3
MacPro: 192.168.11.5
MBP: 192.168.11.7

HL-5170DN: 192.168.11.168
MFC-J825DW: 192.168.11.178
Obi200 VOIP: 192.168.11.27
NAS: 192.168.11.88
All function w/o issue. There’s also two Rokus, an ATV2, iPad, & iPhone on the wifi side.
The ASUS has stock firmware.
(Ethernet: modem > router > switch > clients)

Instead of getting irked calling CS, check what's setup on the router (192.168.11.1).
Both ASUS & Brother provide good documentation.
As noted above, checking cables & ports is a good starting point.
smiley-signs003

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 11:16AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 29, 2017 01:12PM
Does the IP address of both the Mac and the printer come up identically after a restart of all the devices on the local network?

It looks like both the router and printer both support IPV6. Is this turned off on both the router and printer?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 29, 2017 02:26PM
Our Brother printers have played nice w/ ASUS routers for several years, and they've always used static IP addressing since switching from D-Link routers. Biggest snafu was when ASUS router crapped out and I had to send it in for a swap, but didn't realize that the settings I thought I had saved, evidently weren't saved properly.

Lesson learned: In addition to saving a settings file, save screen shots of all the settings pages just in case you have to recreate some or all from scratch.
==
Date: December 29, 2017 07:05PM
Thanks for the reminder to take screen shots of everything while it's all working. Re. static IP vs DHCP: it appears that the main computer and the Brother printer have static IPs and everything else is dynamic.

In spite of a hellish day getting this set up (and I blame my lack of network savvy for at least a portion of the grief) I have to say the new router is working like gangbusters: very strong with excellent reach. I need now to educate myself about the pros and cons of 5G to better understand which circumstances and devices are approrpriate. From what I've read thus far, 5G is faster but can struggle more with going through physical barriers. This is a dual band router with several options for automatic vs. manual switching.

Thank you all for once again talking me off the tech ledge.
Date: December 29, 2017 08:22PM
I set my router to switch automatically between 5GHz and 2.4 GHz. It was not practical to switch back and forth between these bands.
Date: December 29, 2017 10:23PM
space-time
I set my router to switch automatically between 5GHz and 2.4 GHz. It was not practical to switch back and forth between these bands.

Mine has this option too. I'll try with the "auto" function on for a while. The web interface is quite good.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: December 30, 2017 02:23PM
Probably doesn't help the OP, but I've got an Asus AC-3200 router and a Brother HL-1270N connected to it via ethernet. Assigned a fixed IP address to the printer in the AC-3200 and everything on my network that wants to access the printer can do so. That includes Macs which connect via wired ethernet or wireless on either 5Gh or 2.4Ghz bands. Also have no problems from smart phone, Linux, BSD and Windoze systems.

The pBrother printer is getting its IP address from the Asus router via DHCP, but my tying it down to a fixed address it always gets the same one. That's important for any other system on the network that tries to configure a connection to a network printer.
Date: December 30, 2017 05:57PM
bobinmurphy
Probably doesn't help the OP, but I've got an Asus AC-3200 router and a Brother HL-1270N connected to it via ethernet. Assigned a fixed IP address to the printer in the AC-3200 and everything on my network that wants to access the printer can do so. That includes Macs which connect via wired ethernet or wireless on either 5Gh or 2.4Ghz bands. Also have no problems from smart phone, Linux, BSD and Windoze systems.

The pBrother printer is getting its IP address from the Asus router via DHCP, but my tying it down to a fixed address it always gets the same one. That's important for any other system on the network that tries to configure a connection to a network printer.

Thanks! I think that's where I'm at right now: a static IP for the printer and everything seems to be communicating as hoped.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015