advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RIP Rose Marie (Comedian)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 28, 2017 08:17PM
We also lose a few right at the end of the year.. hopefully this will be the only one.

Rose Marie, best known for her role as Sally Rogers on “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” died Thursday in Van Nuys, Calif. She was 94.

She was Emmy nominated three times for her work on “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” in which she played part of the writing team, led by Van Dyke’s Rob Petrie, for the fictional “Alan Brady Show.” The actress began a five-season stint as Sally Rogers in 1960, but decades earlier, she had been a child singing star under the name Baby Rose Marie. She began her career at 3, starring in her own show on NBC radio by the age of 5, cutting records and appearing in vaudeville, in shorts including 1929’s “Baby Rose Marie the Child Wonder” and in Paramount’s 1933 feature “International House” with W.C. Fields.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RIP Rose Marie (Comedian)
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 28, 2017 09:07PM
International House is worth seeing. In addition to Fields and Baby Rosemarie, it features various stars of the time, including Burns and Allen, and Cab Calloway and his band doing “Reefer Man”, as well as Bell Lugosi and others. Made before the Hayes Act sucked the fun out of Hollywood. The premise is that a lot of people are gathering in Woo Hoo, China to see and bid on an amazing device called a “radio scope” that can broadcast events (basically TV). While trying to tune in to a 6-day bicycle race, they keep finding Cab Calloway, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 09:08PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 28, 2017 09:29PM
....she was also on......The Doris Day Show......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: December 29, 2017 01:47AM
Old enough to have actually seen her during a taping of a Dick Van Dyke Show. RIP.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 29, 2017 02:36AM
The L.A. Times just recently published a couple of articles about her, including one about a recently released documentary with Marie as its subject:

[beta.latimes.com]
[beta.latimes.com]

It is what it is.
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 29, 2017 09:37AM
Wow- what a career!
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 29, 2017 12:02PM
I was one of her Twitter followers. She had one of the best ones. I'll miss her.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: December 29, 2017 02:25PM
I just looked her up on Wikipedia a few days ago to see if she was still alive, after seeing her as a guest star on an episode of Mr. Belvedere.

She was a hoot. From Baby Rose Marie in Vaudeville, to a major role on the Dick van Dyke Show, to guest roles and voiceovers - from 1920's to 2010's - a born entertainer, and always enjoyable.

I salute her, and celebrate the life she had.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 29, 2017 03:19PM
R.I.P.

I grew up watching her on my favorite at the time, The Dick Van Dyke show. I didn't realize she had such a rich career in show business. I'll have to look for that recently released documentary.

94 is a pretty good run, we should all be so lucky to make it that far.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 03:20PM by Rick-o.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 29, 2017 03:21PM
A factoid (what I was told). She was the last living singer to have had hits dating before World War II.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015