advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Saw Star Wars The Last Jedi Tonight (spoilers)
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 28, 2017 08:47PM
Do they really need to be offing all my childhood Star Wars heroes? I barely feel a connection to the new main group of characters. By the next one I am not sure if I will care about the group other than Rey.

I also found it annoying that Rey's parents were revealed to be "nobodies". They spent so much time hyping that up and then answered it with a dud answer. I suspect JJ Abrams tossed that one in there. Just like LOST, a lot of buildup and a crummy answer.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Saw Star Wars The Last Jedi Tonight (spoilers)
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 28, 2017 08:53PM
I disagree, but it's probably not worth saying why. We all bring our own perspective to such an iconic franchise.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 28, 2017 08:55PM
I saw it yesterday.

pRICE cUBE
Do they really need to be offing all my childhood Star Wars heroes? I barely feel a connection to the new main group of characters. By the next one I am not sure if I will care about the group other than Rey.

They have to maintain the balance between dark and light!! As soon as Luke helped save the resistance (and Rey showed off her new powers) then he had to pass on.

pRICE cUBE
I also found it annoying that Rey's parents were revealed to be "nobodies". They spent so much time hyping that up and then answered it with a dud answer. I suspect JJ Abrams tossed that one in there. Just like LOST, a lot of buildup and a crummy answer.

Indeed. They went to great lengths to paint that picture for us.

I was not too sure about the whole Leia coming back to life flying through space thing, I mean it was just a bit too fantastical, especially for a person who wasn't really a Jedi.

Did you notice how, when Luke was fighting Kylo on the salt flats that Luke was not leaving any footprints? That was a fun clue I thought. Also, I didn't notice this but apparently he was also appearing as his slightly younger self with less scruff. Kylo was very much blinded by his hate.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 28, 2017 09:12PM
Other Human saw it last night and said it was terrible.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 28, 2017 09:12PM
....as described by Mark Hamill himself, Luke seemed to behave 'out of character'......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 28, 2017 09:41PM
Lots of stuff blowed up. The story, not so much.n
Date: December 28, 2017 09:50PM
NewtonMP2100
....as described by Mark Hamill himself, Luke seemed to behave 'out of character'......

Use the Farce, Luke.

Posted by: p8712
Date: December 28, 2017 10:30PM
Saw it today. Wasn't terrible. Didn't care for Yoda - it should'a been Obi Wan. Porgs were cute.

Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 28, 2017 11:25PM
They're democratizing the force.

It's no longer about your lineage.

Now, everyone who looks up at the stars can be a Jedi.

Great way to lock more people into the merchandise.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 29, 2017 02:26AM
mikebw
pRICE cUBE

They have to maintain the balance between dark and light!! As soon as Luke helped save the resistance (and Rey showed off her new powers) then he had to pass on.

That just might actually be the reason Luke had to die. Snoke was also killed in this movie (another "major" character killed before fulfilling his potential!), leaving Luke and Rey vs. Kylo Ren - definitely unbalanced.

I, too, was disappointed about the final reveal for Rey's parents. Felt pretty cheap to me.

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 02:31AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 29, 2017 02:30AM
ka jowct
Other Human saw it last night and said it was terrible.

I was actually quite disappointed by the film. More than one review I read before seeing it described it as "the best Star Wars movie ever." After seeing it, I'm here to tell you: no effin' way.

It is what it is.
Posted by: 3d
Date: December 29, 2017 06:01AM
I feel this new group of characters recapture the spirit and spunck of episode IV & V. There's no stopping father time. The original cast couldn't carry this movie. The torch was passed.

The reveal about Rey's parents was brilliant. grinning smiley The internet did not see that coming. LOL The big hype-up with no payoff was Snokes. These dark side folks are so easily distracted!

The movie was a bit long overall. Did Rian Johnson really need to include the milking scene? Ehh.. maybe he did. It got a cheesy Star Wars chuckle out of me smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 06:02AM by 3d.
Date: December 29, 2017 06:43AM
.....no issue with killing old characters but the way they do it [ having a character do something 'out of character' ].....and having stuff hyped but with no pay-off makes it look like poor writing....

Posted by: mstudio
Date: December 29, 2017 06:45AM
pRICE cUBE
I also found it annoying that Rey's parents were revealed to be "nobodies".

Does Kylo always tell the truth? We thought he was just trying to get Rey off guard so she would join him.
Date: December 29, 2017 07:17AM
NewtonMP2100
.....no issue with killing old characters but the way they do it [ having a character do something 'out of character' ].....and having stuff hyped but with no pay-off makes it look like poor writing....

Kylo Ren killing off Han was not "out of character". And I'm not sure how exactly Luke died. Didn't he sacrifice himself to save his friends? That's out of character as well?

The only hype about Rey's parents came from the internet. You don't have to be born with special parents to be a Jedi. It's not royalty. Take them off the pedestal.
Date: December 29, 2017 07:22AM
......it's fine to have parents that are not special but then why 'hype it' to be more than that and then have nothing come of it......

.....when the actor, Mark Hamill, says that it felt like a different character and that he strongly feels as if that is not how Luke would have behaved, then......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 07:25AM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: December 29, 2017 07:36AM
NewtonMP2100
......it's fine to have parents that are not special but then why 'hype it' to be more than that and then have nothing come of it......

.....when the actor, Mark Hamill, says that it felt like a different character and that he strongly feels as if that is not how Luke would have behaved, then......

The internet hyped it. Your beef is with bloggers, commentators, and online theorists. NOT Star Wars or Rian Johnson. There was an internet theory that Mace Windu was Snoke for chrissakes. Hahaha. LOVE IT!
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: December 29, 2017 07:42AM
I enjoyed it! Wasn't expecting it to be "my" Star Wars, this one is for the next generation.

One moment seemed wrong for Luke, but the rest was great.
Date: December 29, 2017 07:52AM
3d

The internet hyped it. Your beef is with bloggers, commentators, and online theorists. NOT Star Wars or Rian Johnson. There was an internet theory that Mace Windu was Snoke for chrissakes. Hahaha. LOVE IT!

....uh, no....never read the rumors at all.....but read Mark Hamill's comments....he very strongly stated that he felt that it was not 'Luke' he was playing and that the character would never do what he did in the movie.......he did what the director/script said to do as just a job......after his comments and probably after urging from Disney, he backpedaled and said that he shouldn't have commented on it......

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 29, 2017 10:28AM
I really like how Snoke was off'ed. Kylo was thinking the thoughts, Snoke was reading his mind and was giddy with excitement until, he realized that there was another lightsaber in the story that he'd forgotten about. Everything that he'd read from Kylo's mind was true, but just the wrong frame of reference.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 29, 2017 10:49AM
Do you think that the actors having aged 40 years might have something to do with this.
(Plus, if they blow up that Death Star one more damned time...)
Date: December 29, 2017 12:39PM
mstudio
pRICE cUBE
I also found it annoying that Rey's parents were revealed to be "nobodies".

Does Kylo always tell the truth? We thought he was just trying to get Rey off guard so she would join him.

IMHO, It appears that Rey used the force and felt that it was true.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 29, 2017 01:47PM
Onamuji
They're democratizing the force.

It's no longer about your lineage.

Now, everyone who looks up at the stars can be a Jedi.

Great way to lock more people into the merchandise.

The force was NEVER about lineage, except for the Skywalkers. That's why they're special. Most younglings were recruited from parents all over the Galaxy.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Date: December 29, 2017 01:49PM
.....it's like the finale season of 'Buffy'.......they gave all potential slayers the power.....and they won......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 01:51PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: December 29, 2017 02:52PM
mikebw
Also, I didn't notice this but apparently he was also appearing as his slightly younger self with less scruff.

And thinner. That was my first clue that it wasn't really him. grinning smiley
Posted by: decay
Date: December 29, 2017 05:10PM
Chewie looked like he was eating a plastic toy bird. Why?

To me, it was formulaic, and predictable.

Some cool visuals and action sequences, but at this point, it's all eye candy.

Why do they kill off cool villains, like Darth Maul? Imagine if they offed Vader in the same movie he was introduced in?

I had no idea Carrie Fisher had so much footage 'in the can' before she passed, that was a nice surprise.

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 05:11PM by decay.
Posted by: jonny
Date: December 30, 2017 12:20PM
Last third was pretty good. First two-thirds was almost unwatchable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015